PDA

View Full Version : Bubinga Platter with Carving Redux/Complete

Jim Becker
09-09-2004, 7:01 PM
Some time ago I posted some preliminary pictures of a 16" bubinga platter I was working on that included some carving to mask a defect. A could weeks ago I finally got it completed and "finished". Given the shop renovation in progress, I ended up top coating it with Deft lacquer (aerosol) 'cause it was easy and quick...and an outside operation, anyway due to the fumes. The plastic "holder upper" is a temporary fixture as I plan on making an unobtrusive stand from painted maple when I get the shop put back together. Since it's going in a show tomorrow along with the Big-leaf Maple Burl natural edge piece, I snapped a quick picture "just in case"...and it's shown below. The picture is poor, but I needed to be quick in taking it. (I'm going to build a simple photo booth soon based on what I learned at the AAW (http://www.woodturner.org/) symposium in Orlando last month.

This is my first art show entry ever and is the annual event at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia where Dr. SWMBO works. Entrants must be employees or immediate family members and the limit is two pieces. The level of work is pretty incredible, too.

Greg Heppeard
09-09-2004, 7:35 PM
What defect :confused: Looks like it was supposed to be there :cool: Great job as usual :)

Chris Padilla
09-09-2004, 7:41 PM
I have the urge to flick that useless piece of parsely off my plate so I can dig into that juicy T-bone.... :D

Brad Schmid
09-09-2004, 8:08 PM
I remember your original post... Nice work Jim!
Good luck at the show. Let us know how you do.

Brad

Jim Becker
09-09-2004, 8:11 PM
What defect
Greg, there was a radial crack that extends from the edge to about 2.5" in from the edge. It's still visible from the back, but filled. It would have been a "not nice thing" on the front. The stem of the leaves follows its profile...and "poof!, it's gone"!

Greg Tatum
09-09-2004, 8:28 PM
Jim...it looks great...good luck with the show.
Greg

Michael Stafford
09-09-2004, 9:29 PM
Obviously a very good example of making lemonade when all you have is lemons. No one would know about the defect. A serendipitous defect for a fine artist. Very nice. Very pretty. I hope you do well in the competition. I have 3 pieces in an exhibit that opens this Saturday- Lignea: North Carolina's Celebration Crafts in Wood.

Dick Parr
09-09-2004, 9:43 PM
Great looking platter Jim. 16" is a good size platter. :) I also like the way you covered up the crack. I love bubinga and have made some small stuff from it. Platters are the next thing I want to learn how to make. Been searching for how too's since I can't find any video's on it.

Good luck in the show.

Mark Singer
09-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Jim,
Great job! As usual...great solution!

John Miliunas
09-10-2004, 12:09 AM
Well done, Jim! :) I very much liked it the first time I saw it and it's even more impressive now in its finished state! Best of luck to you at the show! :) We'll be waiting for the gloat pic of the ribbon! :cool:

Bobby McCarley
09-10-2004, 6:59 AM
A great looking platter there Mr Becker. Excelent work and the cover up is nice work also.

Bobby McCarley
Louisiana

Tom Sontag
09-10-2004, 11:50 AM
Let me get this straight: art show, ponytail, out-of-the-box thinker. Hmmm... I think you're on to something!

Nice piece.

Jim Becker
09-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Let me get this straight: art show, ponytail, out-of-the-box thinker.
You forgot telecommunications techno-geek...:D :eek:

Roger Fitzsimonds
09-10-2004, 1:30 PM
Very nice platter Jim. I wish you luck on the show.

Roger