PDA

View Full Version : jointer tables not coplaner

Robert Reece
08-21-2009, 10:18 PM
I was about to post earlier tonight asking for help on my jointer (Jet JJ-8CS) tables not being coplaner. They are dead flat, but just not the same plane. The infeed table dipped towards the knives.

However, before posting I did some searching here and someone recommended just cleaning out the dovetails ways. Getting the table completely off seemed complicated, so I just took the gibs off and that gave me enough wiggle room to blow compressed air into the ways. That completely fixed the problem. So I'm back together in good order now.

One question on my fence - it has a bow in it. I'd say it bows in about 1/32" at the knives. It is perfectly square to the table everywhere, just bows along the length. I don't think this should be a problem right?

Rob

Prashun Patel
08-21-2009, 10:44 PM
I imagine it'd be an issue if jointing things with the fence at an angle. Because then it'll raise the piece slightly at the knives. Seems like the only time it WOULDN'T be an issue is when the fence is at 90deg (which for me is 99% of the time...)

Stephen Reid
08-21-2009, 11:16 PM
+1 on what Shawn said.The fence on my delta 37 380 has a slight bow but has never caused a problem jointing a 90 corner.But i have never used it to do any other angle

Rich Neighbarger
08-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Your local machine shop will be able to flatten your fence with minimal cost (around $50 or so) if you are worried about it. It is a simple process and should be able to have your fence back next day. However, Like Shawn and Stephen have pointed out, at 90deg it won't matter.

george wilson
08-22-2009, 12:35 AM
You guys must have cheap machine shops where you live. They'd want $500.00 to do that around here. These guys only want big government contracts.

You could attach a wooden face to your fence,with shims so that the working surface is straight.

Danny Burns
08-22-2009, 11:16 AM
You could put a sub-fence on that is shimmed to be flat and true, if it's $500 clams to get it right, but if it's only 50, then have a clam bake with the 450 you saved!:rolleyes:

Robert Reece
08-22-2009, 5:10 PM
I have never felt the urge to move my jointer fence off of 90 so it probably won't be an issue for me. I'll keep it in mind if I do need to come 90 though.

george wilson
08-22-2009, 5:38 PM
I think around here we have a bunch of unhelpful machine shops that only want big contracts. They act like you are a bother if you walk into one with a small job. Fortunately,I now have my own machine shop,except for grinding large surfaces. I can only grind about 5" X 12". Haven't used my grinder in so long that I can't recall. It really isn't a surface grinder. It's a tool and cutter grinder,which I use for spiral end mills. Will do small surfaces,though.

I was quoted $400.00 back in the 70's for a job I knew wouldn't take over 2 hours. To heck with those attitudes.