PDA

View Full Version : sort of a gloat.... my first slab

Brad Wood
08-21-2009, 8:53 PM
I'm so proud :D

This was the second picture my wife took. She took this as she was telling me how stupid I was.

8/4 black walnut. I'm 6'2", so you can get an idea of its size. I paid $5.00/bdft

First slab I've ever gotten

Steve Kohn
08-21-2009, 9:13 PM
So what are you going to do with it?

Myk Rian
08-21-2009, 9:45 PM
So what are you going to do with it?
He's going to hold it up for 3 months while he figures that out. Small boxes? :D

Brad Wood
08-21-2009, 10:16 PM
well, actually.. I'm working on a dining table and I'm doing breadboard ends. I ran out of my original primary wood (alder), so I decided to put contrasting ends on. I'll be using a light wood dowel and then put some accent walnut dowel in all the right places.

Since I'm not making the chairs, this will help tie the darker wood in the chairs into the whole thing.

This is more wood than I need for the ends, but that will leave me some extra for the smaller projects I typically do (yes, like boxes)

Steve Kohn
08-22-2009, 6:50 AM
You know if you put some legs under that slab and finish on the top, it would make a great bench.

Of course I really like natural edge furniture.

Frank Guerin
08-22-2009, 7:56 PM
Always listen to the wife.
Of course you must decide if what she has to say is relevent but always listen to the wife.
I listened to all my ex-wifes.

Myk Rian
08-22-2009, 8:47 PM
You know if you put some legs under that slab and finish on the top, it would make a great bench.
Make sure all the legs are in the right direction. :D

Bruce Volden
08-22-2009, 9:40 PM
Make sure all the legs are in the right direction. :D

Oh sure, pick on Brian;)

Bruce

Brad Wood
08-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Oh sure, pick on Brian;)

Bruce

sounds like an inside joke, but it has some merit with me. my first table was a small end table sort of thing that was more of a test piece than anything. I tapered the legs, and somehow managed to assemble the thing so the front and back had opposing tapers.... the table looked fine up close, but as soon as you took a few steps back, there was something very wrong the the symmetry of the lets :D

Mike Cruz
08-23-2009, 1:20 PM
It was from another post. Here

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=118394