PDA

View Full Version : wedding server w/cermark

Linda Kroeker
08-21-2009, 8:01 PM
Doing my first set of wedding servers, they are stainless steel and seems very mirror like...do these have a coating?
What settings would I use with cermark to get a very nice black mark?
I think I read somewhere about the settings being...10s 100p 600dpi...does this sound correct?

Thanks,
Linda

Bruce Volden
08-21-2009, 9:16 PM
Linda,

I mark 100's of knives and also mark many odd SS items. Using my 35 W TT I run @ 14 speed/75power 400DPI (or less) and have NEVER had a failure with Cerdec. I have failed as the operator (spelling Tuscon wrong-big mistake, see
still spelling it wrong):D Go for it, remember your results, truck on.

Bruce

Garrett Nors
08-22-2009, 1:30 AM
On items like this I turn it over and find an inconspicuous place to test. Then I apply Cerdec, and burn a TINY tiny tiny mark and then try to wipe it away forcefully. If it doesn't go away...I'm good to go..and the customer will never notice the 1 or 2 px dot on the back :)

Steven Wallace
08-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Garrett, I had never thought of using the item as a test bed but certainly makes sense. Thanks

Dan Hintz
08-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Just be aware that the amount of heat it takes to make a single tiny dot is probably not the ideal heat for a larger image/text due to the amount of heat soak involved in larger items.

Garrett Nors
08-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Just be aware that the amount of heat it takes to make a single tiny dot is probably not the ideal heat for a larger image/text due to the amount of heat soak involved in larger items.

Absolutely. I mainly use this technique just to see if I CAN cermark it, adjustments can be made after the fact. :D

Phil Garcia
08-22-2009, 5:57 PM
Just remember that a thinner even layer is better than a thick one on the Cermark spray. Also I think you should ran a test or two on something but I would guess that 10 speed on 100 percent power at 600 seems hot to me for a 45 watt unit. I guess closer to 18 or 20 speed would get good results. Well, that's my 2 cents worth. Good Luck....and have a great weekend.:D

Dan Hintz
08-22-2009, 7:32 PM
I'm with Phil... I would start with something closer to 15 and expect to increase a bit.

Gary and Jessica Houghton
08-25-2009, 9:49 AM
On items like this I turn it over and find an inconspicuous place to test. Then I apply Cerdec, and burn a TINY tiny tiny mark and then try to wipe it away forcefully. If it doesn't go away...I'm good to go..and the customer will never notice the 1 or 2 px dot on the back :)

I always tell our customers who bring things like this to me that I will test on the back. I end up putting a timy heart somewhere in the middle of the piece. If it works, then the customer has a nice heart to go along with their special day. (if the heart is ever noticed)

Linda Kroeker
08-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Thank you all for your help...the servers came out really nice, the customer loved them...I've been keeping a log of all the settings that
work best so this will be added...I used 600dpi 15s 100p.
I was going to post a photo but didnt know if it was appropriate with their full name on it???

Dan Hintz
08-25-2009, 11:27 AM
I was going to post a photo but didnt know if it was appropriate with their full name on it???
You can always blur out their last name...