PDA

View Full Version : Woodworkers -- A breed apart

doug faist
08-21-2009, 7:07 PM
Several days ago I posted a request for some help finding a Bosch drill case to replace one I ruined. I got a number of replies including one from Barry in Virginia Beach who had an extra. A couple of emails later he mailed me the bag and refused to accept anything over the cost of the shipping. He even sent the bag prior to getting the check for the shipping.

In my 40 years or so of woodworking I have had a number of experiences very similar to this one; woodworkers who have gone well out of their way to give away tools, make needed furniture or just do really nice things more often than I observe in the general population. Is there something about woodworking (or maybe exposure to wood dust!) that makes woodworkers a cut above the rest? Or maybe I've just been lucky enough to only deal with the uncommonly exceptional ones!

Ah,...
Life is good!!

Doug

Howard Boehm
08-21-2009, 7:21 PM
When you build something it takes care and patience. Do we make mistakes of course we do and if we flew off the handle we would never accomplish anything. So there is a demeanor that goes along with the talent of making art out of wood. I do consider building things an art. By the way if anyone has one of those new delta unisaws and wants to send it to me I will be glad to pay the shipping. LOL

Rick Gooden
08-21-2009, 7:52 PM
Historically speaking....Jesus was a woodworker. I am certainly not trying to make comparisons, but I do consider it the noblest of undertakings.

Jim Rimmer
08-21-2009, 9:57 PM
I think people who work with their hands (woodworkers or other hobbies) let off some of their pent up emotions and then deal better with other folks. AND, you happen to be on SMC where, IMHO, you find some of the best of the woodworkers who are willing to share just about anything, not just advice (which is usually diverse and very good).

Jeff Willard
08-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Here's an anecdote, take it FWIW. I bought a Conover lathe back in, I guess, 1995. I called Conover, spoke with Alan, got the lowdown on the machine, and decided to pull the trigger. I asked about payment options, as, at the time I didn't have a credit card. "What do you want? Certified check, money order?" "Just send a check, and when we recieve it, we'll ship the lathe." I told him I'd really like to expidite this, and didn't want to have to wait for the check to clear. He replied that the machine would be shipped as soon as the check was recieved, in all the time he had been manufacturing that lathe, he had never had a check bounce. That one didn't either.

Leigh Betsch
08-21-2009, 11:11 PM
I believe in trusting people. The way I see it you can either go thru life trusting people and get burned a few times or go thru live not trusting people and live in fear of being burned all the time. If I lived like the second option I would be a grumpy person much more of the time that the few times I have actually been burned. Course if it's over $500 that's a different story.:rolleyes: