View Full Version : Cremation Urn using CNC and a lathe

Guy Mathews
08-21-2009, 4:26 PM
I am not a turner by trade or even hobby. I know a little and I guess that makes me somewhat dangerous around a lathe. Anyhow, I post at the CNC Forum but wanted to share this and get some comments from the turners in this forum.

My hollowing process is not your traditional lathe work and this may surprise a few turners. The complete thread is here.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1198862#post1198862

The piece was done in maple.

Jeff Nicol
08-21-2009, 4:31 PM
Guy, I am in the mid stages of building a CNC router table with hopes of adding the 4th axis some day. The urn is exactly why I was thinking of doing it. I like the hollow it out and glue back together trick! Saves the hassle of blowing out the side when almost done with the hollow form. Not a purist turners way but, gets the job done. Thanks for sharing and keep at it and maybe some day you can do one for real!

Jeff

Guy Mathews
08-21-2009, 4:36 PM
Thanks. Good luck on your CNC build. I am in the process of converting my CAMaster into a CNC lathe with the addition of a well placed knife, a motor and the CNC knowledge that I have been using for the last (almost) 4 years.

I am going to have make an urn for myself. I hope to die running one of my CNC machines!!!

Skip Spaulding
08-21-2009, 4:59 PM
That is a nice looking urn and a fascinating look at how it was done. Thanks for the great information.
Very sorry about the loss of your and your friends loved ones.

Guy Mathews
08-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Thank you Skip.

Somehow I have a feeling that Turners and CNC Jockey's get the same high from two different forms of intoxication.

Just think how high I will be when I turn my CAMaster into a CNC Lathe!!!!!

Look out Huey Lewis... I got a new drug! :D

Brian Novotny
08-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Nice work.....and sorry for your loss. Glad that you found a "new drug" in your new project. My drug has been around for a long time and with a green log spits trails of liquid in your face, IMO there's no higher than that feeling, and it can last a lifetime!!!!!!!!! I really love the wood lathe and the comfort it brings me just knowing how close it is....the trails of liquid and shavings can take you to a different planet that you may never come back from!!!!! Now IMO that's a high that will set you searching for hours digging thru piles of shaving looking for your car keys when they were in you hand the whole time:D

Guy Mathews
08-24-2009, 3:38 PM
Well here it is with about 6 coats of lacquer. I need to hit it with some Triple 0 Steel Wool and slap a few more coats on it but all in all, I am quite happy with the end results so far.

Thanks to everyone who took time out to look at my non-traditional turning techniques.

Guy

Paul Engle
08-25-2009, 3:07 PM
Well done Guy, lots of companies use CNC to do wood working not only round stuff , routers, etc. Takes away from the hand work somewhat though and thats what gives wood turning its greatest sense of pride and accomplishment me thinks. I do some turning on a Jet 1236 with attchments I made and using my metal working skills and a cross slide I made a lead screw for and get just as satisfied as if I had done it by using hand tools. At age 60 sometimes its hard to hold on to the gouges ....Keep up the nice work :D.

Guy Mathews
10-16-2009, 10:27 PM
I finally have 14 minutes of free time to start blooging the process I used for making this cremation urn.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/blog.php?u=44697&blogcategoryid=11