PDA

View Full Version : Milling 4 Square level 2 Technique

Clint Schlosser
08-21-2009, 3:19 PM
I am interested in creeker's experience milling lumber for projects. Online help videos and books only cover in the FEE system. (faces edges, ends). What is conspicuously missing in demonstrations is how to mill all the pieces in a project with consistency.

I know there are many variables to each project. One of my major issues is time spent on a project. Being a weekend warrior only affords a few hours or so each weekend at most with some rather large inactive periods.

mike holden
08-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Clint,
One of the problems here is one that you need to, as they say, "tattoo on your eyelids".

WOOD MOVES!

Now, you mill you lumber slightly over size for a project, sticker it, and then when you are ready to use each board - mill it to finished size, shape it as necessary, and then glue it in place.

Reading between the lines of your question makes me think that you have the idea that one can mill all his pieces of a project to size and then assemble slowly over several weeks. NO CAN DO! WOOD MOVES!

Woodworking requires time and patience. Within personal limits, the more time and patience expended, the better the result.

But the basic fact is wood moves, so preparing stock much ahead of time is impractical. But despite that, we persist, and with time and patience, create fine furniture.

Slow down and enjoy the trip, you and your woodworking will be better for it.

Mike