PDA

View Full Version : Delta 13" planer came in at Lowe's

Steve Stube
09-09-2004, 5:28 PM
Picked up my new 22-580 2sp 13” Delta planer at Lowe’s today. Now if I can sell the 18" Powermatic I'll truly be downsized - well on the planer front that is.
BTW, $218.47 out the door by signing up for the Lowes CC.

Chris Padilla
09-09-2004, 5:39 PM
Wow! What a price for a darn good planer!

Steve Stube
09-09-2004, 7:29 PM
It appears it will be a good value. Hopefully I will get a chance to try it out soon. I need to come up with a stand/bench for it and if someone would provide some detail and measurements for the accessory chip chute I would like to try to fabricate one.

Chris Padilla
09-09-2004, 7:43 PM
...if someone would provide some detail and measurements for the accessory chip chute I would like to try to fabricate one.
Steve,

For such a good price, you should have some pennies to spare to just buy one along with a spare set of knives! Sorry, I sold mine along with the planer a couple months ago or I'd be happy to draw it up for you.

Steve Stube
09-09-2004, 8:23 PM
Hopefully some one else can provide a sketch with numbers. I want to build a chute so I can have a chance to use my sheetmetal tools too. As for the blades, if they are so prone to chipping as has been reported, I will be looking somewhere other than Delta for replacements or some M2 steel to make new blades. The savings on the planer will go toward another tool or material - there is always a place to spend my pennies.

Burning? Why did you sell your planer?

Michael Stafford
09-09-2004, 9:44 PM
My concern with the 580 is not in its performance but in its support from Black and Decker the new owners. Do you guys think that we'll continue to be able to get blades? I don't want to run out of blades before I run out of planer if you know what I mean.

Wes Bischel
09-09-2004, 11:33 PM
Steve,

I just bought a dust chute for mine from Amazon for $25. I'll check on it tomorrow for the dimensions of the rectangular openning - though the shape may be a challenge unless you go with a log style chute ;) . Note the round tabs on the ends of the rectangular section - they hold the piece in the cutter head. It actually fits very well - I was pleasantly surprised.

Steve Stube
09-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Are the little round tabs metal or plastic? Dimensions would be great. Maybe there were some other photos/views that came with the instruction sheet or if you have a digital camera I would ask if you can maybe e-mail a couple more shots. What is the discharge diameter? I can think of three possible ways to fabricate; sheetmetal, hand layup polyester, drap thermoform some ABS sheet I have on hand. The latter two methods will require some mold making but I don't see a problem to doing that. If there is a chance that it could contact the planer blades if it somehow were knocked loose the plastic route would be perferrable over sheetmetal. Wes, I appreciate the help. Steve

Jack Wood
09-10-2004, 7:32 AM
The pins are plastic, but fairly sturdy. The dischrge is 4". I'm not a fabricator but looks like this would be a real chore to hand make. It has to be light weight as it attaches to the cutting deck(?) that moves up and down. It works great, if you don't have one you will be covered in shavings and dust:eek:.

Wes Bischel
09-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Steve,
Below are some pics of the chute. On mine, the tabs are steel welded into the steel throat. The throat is riveted to a blow molded body.

Tabs are 1/4" dia. and protrude 1/4".

The throat dimensions are 12-5/8" x nom. 3/4" outside dimensions and sticks out of the plastic by 7/8". The plastic stays flat for about 4" from the metal before expanding to the rounded section. The chute is 4"dia. for the hose hook-up.

If you need more info, let me know, Wes

Steve Stube
09-10-2004, 3:17 PM
That is SUPER, you have provided everything (photos & description) I needed to make the chute (save my time). Thank you, thank you!

Chris Padilla
09-10-2004, 3:25 PM
Burning? Why did you sell your planer?
I have an aircraft carrier 16" J/P coming someday.... :D

Maurice Ungaro
09-11-2004, 7:27 PM
Steve,
Thanks for the tip. I FOUND myself at Lowes today....yes, i actually needed some wet/dry sand paper. Anyway, found myself in the tool section, and well, by golly, I am now the proud owner of a 22-580, at a great proce of $229.

Thanks again.

Maurice