PDA

View Full Version : Lathe stand?

Jay Yoder
08-21-2009, 12:20 PM
I found an interesting design of a lathe stand for my Jet 1220 with ext. It was in shop notes number 67. Has anyone build this stand? any feedback? just curious...

Jerome Hanby
08-21-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm building it now. Have the carcass built and glued up the top Wednesday night. Hope to get the top cut nice and square, banded with hardwood, and installed this Weekend.

The carcass used rabbets and dadoes to lock together. Accurate layout and cutting seems to be the key. Even with my questionable skills it went together pretty well. Plus the hardboard back helps to hide mistakes;).

I think it's going to be a good stand. It's going to weigh a ton!

I'll try to snap a few pictures and get them up early next week.

Jay Yoder
08-21-2009, 9:55 PM
Jerome,
pics would be great. What lathe do you have? I redesigned it b/c the 1220 w/ ext is longer that a 1014 w/ext...

Jerome Hanby
08-22-2009, 5:06 PM
Have the Jet 1220 VS. Currently don't have the extension. May need to do a little re-measurement. I haven't attached the top yet, I could scrap it and make a longer one. Would hate to have problems if my wife decided she wanted the extension for spindle work...

Jay Yoder
08-22-2009, 9:33 PM
funny thing is, i bought the 1220 (non VS) 2 years ago and have not even had it out of the box. It does an admirable job of filling the space under my table saw! I did call the Local woodcraft and they measured their shop one and gave me the dims. I will try to get mine out tomorrow and put em together to verify...

Jay Yoder
08-23-2009, 9:51 PM
I checked them out this afternoon and measured the extension as ~30" and the Lathe itself as ~32" wide overall. I would guess that the top should be at least 5'-2" if you want to incorporate the space for the extension in the future. I also decided to check the length of my turning tools i bough awhile back and the set was about 22 1/2" long. I sure am glad I checked that out. I need to rework the open drawers again...Keep us posted on your progress!

Jerome Hanby
08-24-2009, 8:27 AM
Your numbers are consistent with what I found online. Looks like the top would need to be apx six inches longer. I think it would probably be a good idea to lengthen the carcass too, so that the weight of the lathe and extension would be supported underneath. I snapped some pictures of the carcass, the top, and the top with the banding clamped during glue-up. I added three counter sunk screws to each side to attach the banding to the three layer top. Figured those would help with the gluing.

Didn't get as far as I wanted this weekend, lathe is still in the box. Guess I'll start on the drawers evenings this week and try to finish next weekend.

Speaking of finish, any ideas? My current plan is to shellac everything.

Jay Yoder
08-24-2009, 12:28 PM
I have redesigned it and did stretch the carcass and top proportionally. I will look forward to seeing the pics! I am currently mulling over potential dust collection options. Weekends always go way too fast here too! as for the finish, shellac would probably work, but honestly, I have a very very limited knowlege database when it comes to finishing. Keep me posted...

Jerome Hanby
08-24-2009, 12:34 PM
First set of pictures

Glue up of the table top. Not much to see. I need to build some kind of jig or devise a better method of gluing these type of tops. Ended up, my panel cutting jig (more accurately the blade in the circular saw) had too much flex to cut this stack to even up the edges after glue-up. Longest trim router bit I had was just a bit too short, and just to make life difficult the most inset piece of the stack wasn't consistent on all four sides. Ended up using a pattern bit from the top with a straight piece clamped as a guide to get that side square , then flipping the top and swapping to the long trimming bit to even things up. All's well that ends well, ended up with the diagonal measurements dead on, so I pronounced it square.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=126121&stc=1&d=1251130373

Another table shot from a different angle.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=126122&stc=1&d=1251130373

Here is the carcass from the front. You can see some of my less than perfect dadoes and a few repairs from drilling mistakes. The outer side pieces have an 1/8" reveal in the front, so that part isn't an error in craftsmanship.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=126123&stc=1&d=1251130373

Here is the carcass from the side. You can see the finish washers at the screw locations. I added the middle row figuring it would help keep the side pieces in better contact while the glue dried.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=126120&stc=1&d=1251130373

Angled shot of the carcass from the back. You can see the hardwood back panel. I added more screws, figuring that connections to the permanent cross pieces wouldn't be a bad thing.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=126124&stc=1&d=1251130373

Full on shot of the back. You can see in a couple of these pictures the casters on the bottom. They are all swivel casters from Woodcraft. Finished stand will have four heavy duty leg levelers from Woodcraft. Once the stand is in place, the levelers will lift teh stand off of the wheels to make it immobile.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=126128&stc=1&d=1251131851

Jerome Hanby
08-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Shot of the full back

Jerome Hanby
08-24-2009, 1:02 PM
I am currently mulling over potential dust collection options. Weekends always go way too fast here too! as for the finish, shellac would probably work, but honestly, I have a very very limited knowlege database when it comes to finishing. Keep me posted...

I bought one of those big antique phonograph looking horns on a stand for lathe dust collection when Woodcraft had them on sale. It's still in the box waiting for this stand and it's lathe installation to be completed. The little gizmo that's part of the lathe stand project looks like it might work pretty well for sanding...

Be interesting to hear what other folks do for collection. I think one large school of thought is let the curlies fall where they may until you are knee-deep in them, then break out the dustpan and broom. That would leave you handfuls on hand for (I think the word is) burnishing. i saw Norm do that on an episode of NYWS.

Jerome Hanby
08-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Hmm, think I outsmarted myself. I'll try posting those pictures again tomorrow