PDA

View Full Version : Planning a Lathe Stand

Joseph Crivelli
08-21-2009, 11:01 AM
I’m planning to purchase the Jet JWL-1220VS Lathe (708376VS) in the next few months. I want to build a wooden stand for the lathe based on the available space. The manual has the dimensions as 41”x12”x15 1/2”.

A. Will a 36”x18” platform be adequate?
Based on plans I’ve found in various books, magazines, and websites, I,ve devised a 36”x 18”x 36” stand constructed of framing lumber and ¾” plywood.

B. How large should the opening in the bench top for the motor (as noted on Page 8 of the manual) be?

My plan is for straight legs (Doubled 2x4s) and 3 stringers (2x3s) on each side. The top will be 2x3s covered by 3/4" plywood.

Using the height to my elbow (43 3/4"), a 36" stand should put the spindle at 43 3/4".

This will get me started. If I get more room, I'll get the extension for the lathe, and add on to the the stand.

I'll be able to add a weight box, draws, or doors as needed.

Thank you!

Jerome Hanby
08-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Funny you mention this. I'm currently building a stand for that exact lathe. I'm building the one from Shopnotes 67. It's mostly 3/4" MDF with hardwood (I'm using poplar) trim, drawers, and doors. The top is three layers of MDF sitting on top of a carcass rabbeted and dado-ed together (so the top ends up being four layers of MDF). I like the layout, the storage, and the weight. I'll pm you some info.