PDA

View Full Version : tv stand brainstorm

Igor Petrenko
08-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Hi, just ordered 50" plasma so now I have excuse to spend more time in my workshop :)
So I am trying to figure out how to build a stand.
Here are some drawing I've made, please tell me what you think.
I am planning to use walnut, frame and panel, plywood maybe only for back panel.
Big openings will have adjustable shelves possibly with glass doors.
I like #1 because less long pieces are needed - #1 grade walnut for me is almost twice cheaper.
#2 will probably be easiest to make
#1, #3 and #4 will be probably more stable to sagging
#5 I like because of possibility to make it as walnut/maple combo, but I have no idea how to make it stable :(

Please throw in any ideas you have!

Jamie Buxton
08-21-2009, 11:14 AM
I like the leg treatment in 3 and 4.

I don't like glass doors. If you're trying to hide the electronics, they don't do that. If you're willing to see the electronics, glass doors add complexity and get in the way. If you're going to have doors, make them wood, which is much prettier. Solve the issue of remote control with an IR repeater.

On the designs which only have legs at the ends, you'll probably want a back to prevent sagging.

Stephen Musial
08-21-2009, 12:19 PM
I like 5 (all walnut) the best. You could put a small leg on the bottom shelf between the two uprights to keep it from sagging - it wouldn't have to be that big and could probably be in the rear (even painted black - sorry, ebonized) so you couldn't see it.

How much other equipment - satellite/cable box, receiver, equalizer, amp, center speaker, front speakers, etc. do you have to incorporate?

Igor Petrenko
08-21-2009, 2:22 PM
That's an excellent idea about back-only leg! That will make all those 4 legged types work.

I dont have any equipment yet, last 5 years or so while I was living alone I didn't have TV at all - by choice. Will probably start with buying media case to put my old computer's guts in, cable box, and then probably some good speakers.