PDA

View Full Version : Delta/Rockwell Drill Press... what should I be on the lookout for?

Andy Sowers
08-21-2009, 10:23 AM
In my quest to add a real DP to my shop, I found a CL listing for a Delta Drill press. The tool is in a storage unit somewhere so he had no pictures yet. When I asked for more info (model number, overall condition, etc) the lister said that it was in storage and he couldn't remember model numbers other it was a Delta/Rockwell press. As to the condition, he said "it works."

Asking price seems good at around $100. I assume this would be a nice aquisition as long as the condition of the tool is ok. Are there any older Delta/Rockwell DP models that should be avoided? What should I be on the lookout for?

slop in the quill?
excessive runnout what would be acceptable for WW? (I have a dial indicator but no mag base)
how should I check the motor (given the overall age of the tool)
condition of belt
overall condition (eg rust, collateral damage, missing parts, etc)
Thanks in advance...
Andy

Chip Lindley
08-21-2009, 2:15 PM
Andy, I believe you've about covered it. Bearings and belts can be replaced if rough. The quill has slack adjustments built in. IF the motor runs it runs! If not, it's only 1/2 or 3/4hp, not too expensive to replace. Switches and cord can be replaced. The table may have abused and drilled.

The DP for sale may be a tabletop model or a floor model. IF it is a full-size DP, running and not broken, it is probably worth $100! Depends on the particular model. Would be Awsome if it was a variable speed model!! Seeing will be beliving!

Stephen Musial
08-21-2009, 2:18 PM
If it has the "peace sign" Rockwell symbol, give it a little more thorough going over. That's when they were really into "value engineering".

Andy Sowers
08-21-2009, 2:24 PM
Thanks... his description in the listing says a "stand up drill press" which I hope means that its a floor mount model...

-Andy