PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a compressor

Greg Scott
09-09-2004, 3:24 PM
I've been looking for a new (quieter) more powerful compressor. I saw this one at Grizzly it's cheap and powerful and small. Anyone have any opinions? I'm guessing any that could compare would be in the $600-$700 range. This will be used for normal shop applications possibly hvlp in the future.

Here are the specs

This 3 HP Air Compressor outclasses all others in its price range. Period.
Features a powerful 220V 3HP motor, two cylinder aluminum pump with cast iron cylinder liners, V-belt drive, oil lubrication, an incredible 10.9 CFM @ 40 PSI, 9.1 CFM @ 90 PSI, 11 gallon welded steel tank, pneumatic tires and a 115 PSI maximum working pressure.
Fills the 11 gallon tank from 0 to 115 PSI in a little over a minute…that's fast!

Bruce Page
09-09-2004, 6:17 PM
Greg,

I don’t know anything about the Grizzly, but the tank size (11gal) seems awfully small. I Have a Dayton with a 20gal tank, and it’s too small for me.

Joe Scarfo
09-09-2004, 6:38 PM
That's a small tank... but then again, it moves a lot of air. Depending on the HVLP gun you choose, it should be fine.

Mine has a much larger tank so the compressor doesn't cycle as often. With that one, it'll cycle on and probably keep on running until you've finished spraying.

Then again, smaller tanks = smaller space in a small shop. It's a balance.

Good Luck w/ your choice.

Joe in Tampa

Gary Max
09-09-2004, 6:38 PM
If you have Tractor Supply in your part of the world I would give them a look.
Last week I was getting some lude for my air tools and was impressed with their prices on compreesors

Dennis Peacock
09-09-2004, 7:05 PM
Go to Tractor Supply and get you a Ingersol-Rand 60 Gal 5HP compressor that will out last YOU for $499.00......you will NOT regret it. :D