PDA

View Full Version : Sandblast mask on glass?

Tom Woolley
08-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Hi. I dont even have a laser (yet)...

My wife has a stained glass job and needs a etched glass centerpiece for a job. In the past we have made masks with x-acto knife, but this one is too complex. I have read about "green laser tape" and have purchased some.

She has completed the design using her stained glass software (Glasseye).

I have a friend that has a laser, but has never made a sandblast mask.

I have Corel 4x (new in box) and have no clue how to get from Glasseye to corel, and what to do once in corel. Glasseye will export in autocad .dwg too.

I would appreciate any guidance you could give me (and my friend with the laser).

Regards,
Tom

Gary Hair
08-21-2009, 2:08 PM
Tom,
Send me the file you exported from glasseye and I'll see what I can do with it. The best file type would be a pdf, but a dwg, dxf, plt or others might work as well.

It would be easier to try it here and see what work, then tell you how I did it.

Gary

laserimage at comcast dot net

George D Gabert
08-21-2009, 4:57 PM
I have Autocad and can convert the .dwg file into a .dxf which can be imported into corel.

txkhog at valornet dot com

Regards
GDG

Dave Adams
08-21-2009, 5:31 PM
Glasseye Professional and above will export to dxf which you can open in corel.

Tom Woolley
08-23-2009, 9:35 PM
Gary, George,

Thanks for the offers. I am out of the country returning next weekend. I'll tackle this project when I return
Regards,
Tom

Bob Cole
08-24-2009, 12:47 AM
I did several glass awards using the red lasertape, laser, then sandblast. I didn't like the green stuff as it was harder to work with but it is suppose to be a better resist for deeper sand blast. I didn't have any issues with the red lasertape.

Make sure to clean the optics fairly frequently as the green/red tape leaves residual on the optics.