PDA

View Full Version : Joining the pendant craze

Bobby McCarley
08-20-2009, 8:38 PM
Recieved my new pendant backer plate yesterday and had to try it out. I see it's going to take a little practice. The first one is OK but could be better. It's mesquite with green malachite inlay. The backer plate works like a charm and the several offset holes open up a lot of options on design of your pendant.
And I also see the potential to be used for turning other things than just pendants.

Bobby
Louisiana

Dahl Troy Perry
08-20-2009, 9:05 PM
Are you and others just cutting one side of the pendent or are you turning it over to cut the other side ?? Thinking in over drive earrings would have to be cut on both sides:rolleyes:

Tony Wheeler
08-20-2009, 10:59 PM
whats apendant backer plate and where do you get them

Bobby McCarley
08-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Dahl, I turned the front half of the pendant and then finish the back by hand.
Tony, the backer plate is a device that holds the work while turning it. It also has several offset holes so the turnings can be done off center. Check your PM, I will send you the web site where I got the backer plate.

Bobby
Louisiana

Mark Burge
08-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Bobby,
Nice pendant. I was wondering where you got the backer plate too. I did a quick google search but I only found an old thread on a penturners forum that discussed a prototype that someone was making. Could this be the production model? If you don't mind sharing where you got it, I'd appreciate it.
- Mark

Rusty Smith
08-21-2009, 2:25 PM
I got mine fom a guy using the name "Sailing_Away" on the Penturners site. Cost $40 plus $4.95 shipping.

If you go to the International Association of Penturners site (www.penturners.org (http://www.penturners.org)) and do a search you will find quite a bit of information about, and pictures of, pendants .

Bobby McCarley
08-21-2009, 6:47 PM
Mark, the site that Rusty posted is the place where I got mine also. In the forum section look in the "Other Things We Make" section.

Bobby
Louisiana

Jon Behnke
08-21-2009, 9:36 PM
I've made a bunch of pendants, you don't need the chuck to make them, you can just use a glue block. I mount a glue block in my 4 jaw chuck, true up the face and mount the pendant blank with two face tape. Once you have the pendant round then re-position it off center and cut the hole, I use a small skew in scraper mode. Corian works really well and is a good seller, buff the back with white diamond before turning and buff the front after turning and you're done. I use spray Deft on the wood ones. Be aware, if you make some of these and the women in you life sees them, you'll be making lots more.

Bernie Weishapl
08-21-2009, 10:25 PM
I make mine like Jon does. I have a block of maple on my faceplate and use double sided tape. I watched Dave Hout make these in a demo along with earrings.

Bobby McCarley
08-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Nice looking pendants Jon. What are you using for the strap and clips?
Just what I need a bigger to-do list from the boss:p

Bobby
Louisiana

Jon Behnke
08-21-2009, 10:45 PM
I use 2mm leather cord from Hobby Lobby, they have the ends and clasps also. There is an online company that sells lots of that stuff called Fire Mountain Jewelry. I made some earrings too, just slightly smaller than the pendant, Hobby Lobby has the hardware for those too.

Mike Minto
08-22-2009, 12:22 AM
the pendant faceplate is kinda neat, but what are the threaded holes for (other than the center one for mounting on a stopper mandrel?). mike

Bobby McCarley
08-22-2009, 2:31 AM
Jon, thanks for the information.
Mike, the other holes are to offset the plate so the pendant can be turned offcenter. That is how I got the designs in mine.

Bobby
Louisiana

Mike Minto
08-22-2009, 3:11 AM
oh, ok, thanks, bob - i understand. it's just that near each hole i saw what i thought were decimals denoting the size of each threaded hole - since that's not the case, what are those numbers? ---oops, wait - just looked again - that's the offset from center, yes? mike