PDA

View Full Version : Changing my Jet JWL-1442VS

Tim Boger
08-20-2009, 7:22 PM
Hey guys,

Is there any way to change my lathe to a true variable speed? A starting speed of 450 RPMs is hazardous under certain circumstances.

I really enjoy the rotating head stock and if I were able to just slow it down a bit it would be perfect.

Thanks,
Tim

Scott Conners
08-20-2009, 9:42 PM
Yes it can be done, it would be fairly easy to replace the motor and add a VFD. I can't think of a reason why the reeves drive wouldn't work just the same with a variable speed motor. It might actually work quite the treat, as you'd have ALL speed ranges available without stopping the machine, whereas most commercial VS lathes have at least 2 or 3 speed ranges with step pulleys.
A popular place to buy motors and VFDs is https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp they usually have some of the best prices. You can get inverters that run on either 110V or 220V single phase. Motors are standardised mount, so you just need to find out what frame size yours is to get a 3 phase replacement.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if your high speed range isn't important to you, there are modifications that can bring the low speed down quite a bit (around 250 rpm if I remember correctly), but you trade some top end speed for the low end.

Dick Strauss
08-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Tim,
I drilled an extra hole to engage the pin at the low end of the speed range. The hole got drilled into the back speed selector plate for a neighbor. It brought his minimum speed down to about 350-375 rpms. I don't know if it works on all 1442 VSs but it worked like a charm on his.

Tim Boger
08-21-2009, 6:36 AM
Yes it can be done, it would be fairly easy to replace the motor and add a VFD. I can't think of a reason why the reeves drive wouldn't work just the same with a variable speed motor. It might actually work quite the treat, as you'd have ALL speed ranges available without stopping the machine, whereas most commercial VS lathes have at least 2 or 3 speed ranges with step pulleys.
A popular place to buy motors and VFDs is https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp they usually have some of the best prices. You can get inverters that run on either 110V or 220V single phase. Motors are standardised mount, so you just need to find out what frame size yours is to get a 3 phase replacement.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if your high speed range isn't important to you, there are modifications that can bring the low speed down quite a bit (around 250 rpm if I remember correctly), but you trade some top end speed for the low end.

Good morning Scott ... Thanks for your feedback, I figured there was a way to do this. With regards to the actual motor change out .... I'd have to find a dummy proof step by step guide as I can follow instructions well.

Tim

Tim Boger
08-21-2009, 6:38 AM
Tim,
I drilled an extra hole to engage the pin at the low end of the speed range. The hole got drilled into the back speed selector plate for a neighbor. It brought his minimum speed down to about 350-375 rpms. I don't know if it works on all 1442 VSs but it worked like a charm on his.

Good morning Dick,

Thanks for this idea, makes perfect sense.

I will take it closer look at the lathe with this in mind.

Tim

Dick Strauss
08-21-2009, 5:27 PM
Tim,
You need to remove the belt cover and find the stop collar next to the reeves pulley mechanism closest to the front of the machine (with the headstock on the left). Once you set the lathe to its slowest speed, you should have space between the stop collar and pulley. If so, you can slow it down more. You might also be able to move the stop collar down the shaft to allow for a slower speed. The lower speed limit with a reeves system is when the pair of pulley halves is basically bottomed out on one another (assuming the belt is still engaged in the pulley groove).

Tim Boger
08-21-2009, 7:00 PM
Tim,
You need to remove the belt cover and find the stop collar next to the reeves pulley mechanism closest to the front of the machine (with the headstock on the left). Once you set the lathe to its slowest speed, you should have space between the stop collar and pulley. If so, you can slow it down more. You might also be able to move the stop collar down the shaft to allow for a slower speed. The lower speed limit with a reeves system is when the pair of pulleys halves is basically bottomed out on one another (assuming the belt is still engaged in the pulley groove).

Thanks again Dick for the specific instructions, though I would love to have the speed start at 0 any improvement would be a great step in the right direction.

I'm heading to Las Vegas tomorrow for a long weekend, I'll be getting a chance to visit my son whom I've not seen in several years. As soon as time allows I'll be printing this out and heading to my shop and see if I can make some changes.

Thanks again,
Tim

Brian Novotny
08-21-2009, 11:31 PM
I just turned a rectangular piece of carob, about 18"x6"x5" on a jet 1442 with a bowl in the middle and the wings that curve down and actually upped the speed from 450........what are you doing that requires a lesser speed? just curious.

Dick Strauss
08-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Brian,
You are probably starting out with a balanced piece of wood even though it is rectangular. You might want to try turning the same piece offset from center by 1" and let me know how it goes...

Many pieces aren't well balanced when you start (especially when the wood is green). Any piece of wood with a density difference can require slower speeds. This can be because of moisture differences, the shape, heartwood/sapwood mixtures, etc. Starting at speeds of 450 rpms or less is pretty common until you hog off some material to get the piece balanced better. I've had pieces that had to be started down in the 150-200 rpm range to keep the lathe from walking.

The continuously variable speed option with a minimum speed of 0-50 rpms is one of the main reasons why the EVS lathes are so popular (along with the increased swing on most lathes)!