PDA

View Full Version : David Finck video

Larry Gelder
08-20-2009, 7:15 PM
Video supplement to the book Making & Mastering Handplanes.

The book shows one how to Make Krenov style Handplanes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dag4qNRdRRo

I've taken a class with David ... he's a very good instructor.

Larry

Peter Bell
08-20-2009, 8:52 PM
I have recently purchased the book from him. It is a nice touch that he has signed it personally.

What I like about the book is not only is it about Wood planes but he gives instruction on everything that is needed on how to build it from go to whoa.

eg.

Chapter 1. Band saws usage.
Rip sawing with band saw.
Run out.
Jointer & planer ( thicknesser here in Oz. )
Plane irons etc

Chapter 2. Tuning and using hand tools

Chapter 3. Sharpening techniques.

Chapter 4. Making a plane.

Chapter 5. Planing techniques with wooden planes.

Chapter 6. planing aids and special techniques.

Chapter 7. Scraping techniques.

The one thing I did notice is how these authors are getting ripped off by the big Corporates and book resellers. When I first read on this forum a few months back that his book had been revised and republished I asked my daughter who is in the States at least twice a month to see if she could locate it for me.

She went into a local Borders store in L.A and they said they could get it for her and the old edition would be $75 US and the new edition just released was $100 US.

Thanks to information on Sawmill Creek I contacted David's website regarding the book an to my surprise I received an E Mail personally from him no more than 30 minutes later saying I could get it for the recommended price of $24.95 Us plus postage to Aust.

All up including postage it cost me $51 Aust which is about $40 US.

Peter

Dan Racette
08-21-2009, 12:07 PM
I'd like to know more about the Class With David. Could you give us a little word on how it went? Was it "by the book", if you will, or did he have tips and tricks up his sleeve?

I have read and re-read my copy of David's book, and I can say it is the most enjoyable book that I have. If his instruction is anything like his writing, I would love to take his class. He is a bit "geographically undesirable" for me, however, but, you never know how motivated a person might get for a 'vacation'.

David's video posts are also very enjoyable, and I would would pay alot of money for a DVD from him, if he could get someone to help him produce one.

Dan

Larry Gelder
08-21-2009, 1:31 PM
Dan,

The classes went well. David patiently and clearly explains and demonstrates a topic, then observes and coaches you (if necessary) to improve your performance/technique, then lets you work at it until you're ready to proceed.