PDA

View Full Version : Strange printing problem

Steve Clardy
09-09-2004, 2:26 PM
When I print e-mail messages, my printer prints out the message with all square O's.
Everything else prints fine, documents, etc.
This all seemed to happen after I was getting rid of some running tasks, Win98SE. The running tasks were eating up my system performance.
I did block the printer icon from the task bar, but went in and restored it after I discovered this problem, but did not correct the problem.
I went all through print settings and found nothing. Ideas?:confused::confused:

Steve

Aaron Koehl
09-09-2004, 4:13 PM
Steve,

1. Try rebooting-
2. See what font and character set is active (via your email program). If you don't have the one it's looking for, you'll get a bunch of squares printed out.
3. Try uninstalling the printer (driver), rebooting, and reinstalling it.

Paul Downes
09-09-2004, 4:15 PM
Steve, I can sympathize with your problem. Have you tried reloading the driver? You might have to delete the whole printer setup and start over from scratch.

I got totally sick of windoze xp and am running linux SuSa now. Actually I have a dual boot setup so the kids can still play their games with windows. So far I really like the linux operating system. I have a lot to learn, but it looks like it will do just about everything I want. Xp was frequently doing all kinds of weird things. It would forget I had a mouse or a keyboard. Not a real problem, I would just have to unplug the device and when I plugged it back in it would pop up with “Found new hardware!” My xp internet setup was down for 2-3 months twice. The last time I had to do a complete new install to get everything to work. I talked to several support people and had computer geek friends look it over and they all left scratching their heads. One programmer friend says that he has to do reinstallations yearly or sooner on some of the systems he supports. Of course, he uses linux SuSa for his personal and business computing. Another advantage with using linux is that it is nearly immune to viruses because most viruses are written to attack windows based systems. I know this may not help with your current problem, but I couldn’t resist giving linux a plug.

Chris Padilla
09-09-2004, 5:54 PM
Steve,

With that ugly mug of yours staring at me, I would be put into a printing funk myself! Get a haircut, and scrub your face...hard! :D

Steve Clardy
09-09-2004, 7:16 PM
Steve,

With that ugly mug of yours staring at me, I would be put into a printing funk myself! Get a haircut, and scrub your face...hard! :D
Lol Chris. May be. ha
I have rebooted a zillion times, went through print settings and mail settings.
Nothing really in mail settings I have found. Netscrape.
Went into my saved mail in my documents, everything there prints fine.
About to pull my hair out I think.
Reloaded drivers. Have not reloaded printer program yet. It isd a HP V-40 all in one. Print, fax, copy, scan. Hate to delete it as I would have to set it up again.:confused::confused:

Steve Clardy
09-10-2004, 2:47 PM
Well after fighting this print problem for two days, my hair is about gone.
I have deleted printer and software a dozen times, reloaded and installed printer another zillion times.
My updated software would not take, as it told me there was a previous version. [which i had removed] But then I ran across a DOS removal tool in my old software, ran it, and then it let me reinstall my software and printer.
Apparently the old software was hung in Dos yet. I tried earlier to get into DOS to delete some old files, but cannot get into the C directory. All I get is windows directory. I cannot remember the correct way to get into dos only on C.
Anyhow, printer is back up and printing, fax working, etc.
But. I am still having the original problem printing in Netscape mail. All my prints come out as square O's. Just the letters, numbers are ok.
But I discovered that if I save my mail to documents, then open and print, they are ok. :confused:

One thing I might have done, was that when I was using Microsoft Access, I did some font changing in there. But that should have not affected my mail program ??:confused::confused:

Steve:(