PDA

View Full Version : What is worth buying around the world?

Brian Kent
08-20-2009, 4:05 PM
If this starts a firestorm, please remove the thread. I am really only asking about one specific point.

One of the underlying economic issues we face is trade imbalance. It makes sense to me that North America needs to grow in the number and varieties of things we produce that are worth buying around the world.

In the area of woodworking, what do we produce in North America that is cherished around the world, and that others would want to buy? Large or small, high volume or individual craftsman.

This is not a rhetorical question or a challenge, but trying to list some of the things we are making right now.

Brent Leonard
08-20-2009, 4:19 PM
I could only take a wild guess as I have never seen ANY data on such a thing, but

I'd wager it is only....

individual craftsman (including small shops) producing high end art and furniture.
Probably not a huge international market, but one with a nice profit margin. Of course, you got to have the name and reputation before you could get into that high profit market.

The other thing could be very high tech equipment. It must be cutting edge and unique technology that no one in asia is producing.

Brian Kent
08-20-2009, 5:30 PM
I know that Lee Valley an Lie Nielsen tools are made in North America - Canada and USA.

A great deal of books, shows and videos are published here. High volume books would probably go to the lowest bidder for the actual printing.

Where are Starrett measuring tools made? Also does anyone know about Incra?

Brian Kent
08-20-2009, 7:45 PM
Does anyone know where Steel City tools are made?

Rod Sheridan
08-21-2009, 9:13 AM
If this starts a firestorm, please remove the thread. I am really only asking about one specific point.

One of the underlying economic issues we face is trade imbalance. It makes sense to me that North America needs to grow in the number and varieties of things we produce that are worth buying around the world.

In the area of woodworking, what do we produce in North America that is cherished around the world, and that others would want to buy? Large or small, high volume or individual craftsman.

This is not a rhetorical question or a challenge, but trying to list some of the things we are making right now.

General machinery..............Rod.

Alan Zenreich
08-21-2009, 9:20 AM
Is there any chance that this thread can stay on topic?

The original poster asked what woodworking items are produced in North America.

Someone else already mentioned the first things that came to my mind Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley offerings.

I don't know if Delta is manufacturing any of their cabinet saws in the US these days. My Delta bandsaw is circa 2002 and was made in the US, but I believe that's been moved offshort for current models.

Also I believe that Oneway lathes are made in Canada.

Brent Leonard
08-21-2009, 9:59 AM
Is there any chance that this thread can stay on topic?

The original poster asked what woodworking items are produced in North America.

Someone else already mentioned the first things that came to my mind Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley offerings.

I don't know if Delta is manufacturing any of their cabinet saws in the US these days. My Delta bandsaw is circa 2002 and was made in the US, but I believe that's been moved offshort for current models.

Also I believe that Oneway lathes are made in Canada.

Whew!!

I thought I was the oddball and didn't understand the question. I'm glad to see there are other oddballs that thought the same as me!!
LOL!!

Scott Shepherd
08-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Starrett used to be made in the USA. When I was an apprentice machinist, all I ever wanted to work my way up to was Starrett tools.

Not sure if they are still made in the USA or not, but they have always been fine quality tools.

John Thompson
08-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Does anyone know where Steel City tools are made?

China for the most part with a few being made in Taiwan as the 5 and 7.5 HP TS...

Brian Kent
08-21-2009, 1:40 PM
Rod Sheridan mentioned General Machinery.

I would love to know more about that, including the checking out General Machinery when I buy a floor standing drill press (soon) and a lathe (not so soon) and a planer (maybe someday).

I found some products at Tool King. Does anyone have a link to the right website for the company?

Brian

Rod Sheridan
08-21-2009, 2:18 PM
Rod Sheridan mentioned General Machinery.

I would love to know more about that, including the checking out General Machinery when I buy a floor standing drill press (soon) and a lathe (not so soon) and a planer (maybe someday).

I found some products at Tool King. Does anyone have a link to the right website for the company?

Brian

Brian, General makes their machinery in Drumondville Quebec. They also sell a line of Taiwanese machinery called General International.

The General equipment of course says "General" on it, and has a maple leaf insignia on it.

Their website is www.general.ca (http://www.general.ca)

I happen to like their machinery, I've never regretted purchasing anything from them.

Regards, Rod.

Rob Russell
08-21-2009, 2:30 PM
General is a Canadian company. They manufacture machinery in Canada and sell that under the General name. They also import Taiwanese-built machinery and sell that under the General International name. The domestically-built General line of machinery is high quality, built like a tank stuff. A good analog would be the old Powermatic or Delta/Rockwell stuff.

John Schreiber
08-21-2009, 2:38 PM
As far as actual wood products, I think the only thing which has a chance is very high end artisan work.

As far as woodworking products, people have already mentioned Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen. I'd add that the EZ smart system is made in the US and I've heard that their biggest market is now Europe. Forrest blades are made in the USA too I think.

When ever I hear about how there's no way for manufacturers to make a buck in the USA, I always wonder about the high end products which are made in Europe. Their business environment is tougher than ours, but they make the best.

Rod Sheridan
08-21-2009, 2:43 PM
When ever I hear about how there's no way for manufacturers to make a buck in the USA, I always wonder about the high end products which are made in Europe. Their business environment is tougher than ours, but they make the best.

Good point John, they have managed to not only survive but innovate in that business climate.

When you look at the Euro machinery, you come to the conclusion that it's generation's ahead.

Another Canadian company is FS Tool, a saw and cutter company with branches in America.

A www.fstoolcorp.com (http://www.fstoolcorp.com) will bring up their website and catalogue.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. FS Tools have a large number of distributors in the US, searchable from their website.

Pat Germain
08-24-2009, 7:34 PM
Are we talking machinery and tools only? Or, would actual products count? If so...

Boy, I think it would be very difficult to sell US made wood products in Europe. I've spent a lot of time in Western Europe over the years. Their furniture and cabinetry spanks all over almost everything I've seen in the US. And I'm talking about the stuff you see in an average furniture store and in an average apartment/hotel room.

I would think the "Mountain Lodge" furniture I see throughout the Rockies might be a product worth exporting. It's pretty rustic looking, but also well built. It could be duplicated, but it might be worth importing it for a small market.

Where does Japan get most of its furniture? Sure, they have amazing craftsmen over there. But where do they get the wood? As I understand it, they have to import just about all of their wood products. Do Japanese furniture builders simply import wood and make it locally? Or, do they import furniture as well? If so, they might be interested in buying some top-quality, American made furniture.

I used to live in Southern Virginia. Almost everyone in the area would drive down to North Carolina to buy furniture. There were dozens of furniture factories down there. I'm hearing just about all of them are now gone, which is tragic. As usual, it was foreign competition putting them out of business.

Former Senator John Edwards' wife just opened up a furniture store on NC. I wonder where she gets her furniture? Hopefully, not from the same places where Ethan Allen is buying their stuff.

Karl Brogger
08-24-2009, 8:41 PM
Northfield equipment is made in the US.

Stan Johnsey
08-24-2009, 9:11 PM
Martin guitars, Steinway pianos, both world standards. Aircraft, Harleys (yuk).

Ben Martin
08-25-2009, 3:44 AM
My Makita 10" SCMS was "Made in the USA"

Also, as hard as it is to believe, the cabinets that I bought at IKEA were made in the USA...

Darius Ferlas
08-25-2009, 11:42 AM
I changed my entire HVAC system at home. I used Goodman and all items were Made in USA.

Poland buys some US made have machinery for road construction and they did strike a deal a few years ago to purchase a few boatloads of miltary equipment.

Brian Elfert
08-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Northfield equipment is made in the US.

How can anyone afford Northfield with the prices they charge? I realize it is industrial quality, but still.

Jon Lanier
08-29-2009, 12:34 AM
I'd say every one in the world should want to buy one of my custom made pens. :D

Karl Brogger
08-29-2009, 2:01 PM
How can anyone afford Northfield with the prices they charge? I realize it is industrial quality, but still.

Because they trully have the least expensive equipment made. Even in an industrial enviroment it will last forever. Most small shops fail to see that while yes, a Powermatic "whatever" will last 10 years being run hard, the Northfield will not miss a beat in 40 years. Everything is cast, the flimsy stamped steel bases on cabinet saws don't do much compared to a solid cast iron base for vibration and stability.

But, they aren't for everyone either. I don't own a single piece of equipment from them even though its made 11 miles from my house and I have a cousin that works there. When I finally get into a new building I do plan on buying a pop up saw from them as for an extra $4-5K I can buy the best

Brian Kent
08-29-2009, 2:10 PM
I'd say every one in the world should want to buy one of my custom made pens. :D

Amen, Jon! Nothing but the best!

Myk Rian
08-29-2009, 2:44 PM
Starrett;
Athol Mass. and Mexico

Steel City;
Taiwan and China

Larry Edgerton
08-30-2009, 9:43 AM
I am a huge "Buy American First" proponant, but when it comes to wood working machine I have to apply a different standard as there is not a lot made in the USA that is quality "and" up to date.

So.... I look at the working conditions of the country that is producing the equipment, and see if it is comparable to our own, both monitarily and enviromentally, as well as that there are no labor abuses.

Most of my machinery is from the Italy, because they build what I want, and their working conditions/wages are similar. I find it ironic that the same country that can not build a car that will make it cross country without failure builds some of the best woodworking machinery for the dollar.

I wish that someone would build modern equipment in the North America, say Northfield or General, a companys that already has a presense and manufacturing capability. But....

All you need to do is read a few pages of this forum to know that that will never happen. Page after page of "gloats" about inferior Chinese equipment tells the story. Quality is secondary to quantity in this country, so the flood of inported junk will not allow a market of American manufactured equipment at this time. I look forward to the day that Grizzley goes out of business, for then I will know the tide has turned.

I'm not holding my breath.......

Karl Brogger
08-30-2009, 9:48 AM
All you need to do is read a few pages of this forum to know that that will never happen. Page after page of "gloats" about inferior Chinese equipment tells the story. Quality is secondary to quantity in this country, so the flood of inported junk will not allow a market of American manufactured equipment at this time. I look forward to the day that Grizzley goes out of business, for then I will know the tide has turned.

:D My sentiments exactly.

Jon Lanier
08-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Probably everyone on this board knows this but me... so let's all get on the same page and help me out.

Where is PowerMatic made?

Chuck Wintle
08-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Probably everyone on this board knows this but me... so let's all get on the same page and help me out.

Where is PowerMatic made?

isn't that still american made?

Chuck Wintle
08-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Martin guitars, Steinway pianos, both world standards. Aircraft, Harleys (yuk).

all very high end items! at the low price point its all asian and will stay that way. But the quality is improving there to so the net result is no difference from previously manufacture in the us. maybe if unions were outlawed, wages reduced and work weeks increased to 50-60 hours? :D

Dan Friedrichs
08-30-2009, 2:54 PM

If equipment sold at Grizzly's quality-vs-price point didn't exist, I don't think that a huge market for American-made "high quality" tools would suddenly appear. I'm a hobbyist - I'm sure Northfield makes a heck of a machine, but if their "high quality" tools were my only option, I wouldn't be able to buy them at all. Instead, importers can offer me a slightly decreased quality of machine at significantly less price. As an educated consumer, I'm not oblivious to the quality difference, I just don't think it's worth paying for in my situation.

I have a finite amount of money to spend on tools. I could either buy a single Italian bandsaw, or for the same amount of money, buy a Grizzly table saw, band saw, jointer, and planer. I know the Italian job is a better machine, but it alone won't do me much good, and my money tree has stopped fruiting for the year.

You're suggesting that if Hyundai stopped selling cars in the US, Porsche would step in to fill that market need, and everyone would own a better quality car and be happy. That's just illogical and silly.