PDA

View Full Version : Festool 1400 vs Bosch 1613 vs DW621

James Henderson
08-20-2009, 10:21 AM
I am in the market for a dedicated plunge router. The most common uses will be for speaker baffle openings, edge trimming and inlays. I already have a large Milwaukee 5625 and lift in a table, and an old, reliable 1-1/2 Craftsman fixed-base router.

I have been researching the market for a couple of weeks now and believe that the Bosch 1613, Festool 1400 or DW621 are my best options. But I have been unable to make a selection due to conflicting pros/cons of each unit.

For example:
The routing of the dust extraction through the plunge-tube of the 621 seems more elegant than the clip-on assemblies of the 1400 or 1613. I am concerned that the mechanical stresses imposed on the plastic DC covers created by dragging the DC hose around the work will cause them to break easily. But the 621 does not appear to have any mechanism for collecting dust while edging.

The 1613 has accessories for dust collection above and below, appears to have the best turret design and has a separate lever for plunge lock which looks nicer than those integrated in the 621 or 1400. But, as mentioned above, the DC accessories seem prone to breakage and must be manually screwed on for use. I am concerned that these will be a hassle to use and therefore won't be used.

The 1400 looks to be a fine selection, except for some criticism of the the turret design. But one additional problem in my particular situation is that I already have a Jasper circle cutting jig, which would fit on either the 1613 or the 621 for use in speaker driver cutouts. I don't think it'll fit on the 1400, so I'd be forced to either tap it's base or purchase some other circle-cutting accessory, such as the MicroFence circle guide, which would add appreciably to the cost. While the MF would certainly find other applicability in future applications, I already have an Incra LS positioner on my router table, so I am doubtful that the MF would be used broadly in my shop.

Please provide your insights to help guide my decision.

Doug Shepard
08-20-2009, 11:34 AM
I cant help you with the Bosch but I have both the 1400 & 621. Mostly because after roughly 20 years there's a crack in the housing on the 621 right where the depth stop adjust knob tightens so I felt it was only a matter of time before I have to retire it. The dust pickup on the Festool is much better than anything I ever got with a vac hooked up to the 621 but I've never tried hooking up the 621 to the Festool vac so how much is due to the router vs the vac I cant say. I already had the Microfence circle jig with the 621 so I just had to buy a different base piece to use it with the Festool. The Festool just feels like a better router but I think the 621 depth adjustment mechanism wins hands down over the Festool or for that matter any other router I've looked at.

Peter Pedisich
08-20-2009, 1:28 PM
James,

I have a DW6182, which is the plunge base for the DW618. In my opinion, it is not nearly as ergonomic as the DW621, but I have only held a 621, and have many hours using a 618.
I also have a Festool OF1400, which is very comfortable for me, with it's handle shape being horizontal. Very smooth and powerful motor, and fantastic dust collection, even better than the DW with it's thru-the-tube method. Also, the DW also has a clear plastic shroud that can break just like the Festool. I prefer to use the Festool for 90%+ of plunge routing, and prefer the DW for all edge work.
I think the tool quality and workmanship are very close. Surprising given the large cost difference.
I have only held the Bosch at tool stores, and the handle grips were perfect for me, better than the Festool and DeWalt. That is a very personal thing, though. The fine depth adjustment on the Bosch looks nice, and the turret design is superior to both the Festool and DeWalt.

As you can see, you would have to combine elements of all three to get a perfect router. If I had to start again and only buy one, I'd get the Bosch.

Pete

Peter Kuhlman
08-20-2009, 6:13 PM
I have built several speakers. Using the Jasper jig, I normally paired it with the PorterCable 7529 - a truly great router that has never gave me trouble. It is permanently mounted to that jig now. As to others, for your described uses - none of which require lots of power - I would purchase if me the Festool OF1010. I use this for 80% of my needs now. I have replaced many of my 1/2" bits with 1/4" Freuds with no ill effect. The OF1010 just feels so right and is so easy and comfortable to use. My OF1400 mostly sits idle now - actually totally idle after getting the OF1010 and OF2200. The Dewalt 621 is very nice - had one for years. Don't know where the new ones are made - Mexico or Italy? Mine was Italian and was just passed on to my son. The bigger DW625 3 hp Dewalt is about the same price as the DW621 and is another very nice router for the money.

I believe it would be fairly easy to mount a Festool to the Jasper if you have a centering mandrel. The Jasper works just great for speaker holes and rebates. No need in my mind for the MF.
Pete

Salem Ganzhorn
08-20-2009, 8:11 PM
I have built a couple speakers with an Hitachi KM12VC which is totally out classed by all the mentioned routers. The only thing that really has bothered me is the lack of dust collection. I recently picked up the DW621 and I am really looking forward to relatively dust-free routing :).

But reading this thread it sounds like the best dust collection is the Festool with their vac. But personally that is too rich for my blood.

Peter Kuhlman
08-20-2009, 8:18 PM
You will find the dust collection on the DW621 is quite good. Better than most other routers - at least to me. Yes my Festool routers have advantages and they should for double the price. I still think the Dewalts are the best plungers for the money right now --- unless they have recently moved production elsewhere.

James Henderson
08-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Dust control is extremely important to me and I'm willing to spend more on a tool which offers improved performance in this area. Since I rarely replace a tool - I still have the Delta Contractors saw that I purchased in 1987 - I rationalize that my tool expenditures get amortized into oblivion. But each of the routers listed above seems very good on dust control, so, I don't see a clear winner on that basis alone.

Above, Peter K recommended the OF 1010 and I really like that router as well. I saw it at a local Woodcraft store and it's so much lighter than the all of the others listed above that I imagine it'd be very convenient and nimble to operate. If I go that route, I could also purchase the angle-bracket accessories that allow use of the 1010 on it's side for trimming operations, perhaps eliminating the need for a dedicated trim router in the future. I like that the 1010's DC port is cast into the base, so that it can't break off. However, I don't love the fact that the underside chip catcher doesn't snap on similar to that of the 1400. And I am concerned that I can't readily adapt the Jasper jig to it's base, since this is one of my near-term requirements.

Is the consensus view that the OF 1010 is suitable for mortising speaker driver cutouts? I suppose that the worst case is that I'd need to take shallow passes...

Thanks for all your input so far.

Sean Nagle
08-20-2009, 11:43 PM
But one additional problem in my particular situation is that I already have a Jasper circle cutting jig, which would fit on either the 1613 or the 621 for use in speaker driver cutouts. I don't think it'll fit on the 1400, so I'd be forced to either tap it's base or purchase some other circle-cutting accessory, such as the MicroFence circle guide, which would add appreciably to the cost. While the MF would certainly find other applicability in future applications, I already have an Incra LS positioner on my router table, so I am doubtful that the MF would be used broadly in my shop.

I have a pair of Jasper jigs for making speakers using a DW625. I recently went through the same decision making process considering the OF1400 and DW621. I chose the DW621 for the sole reason that the Jasper jigs fit and for its exceptional dust collection. Before deciding I contacted Jasper about fitting Festool routers. Their response was "No".

johnny means
08-21-2009, 12:52 AM
I go through a lot of routers and in my opinion the Dewalts seem to have the shortest lifespan by far. I do keep buying them because I like the ergonomics. Never had any thing by Bosch wear out on me, but I never really liked the feel. Cannot bring myself to spring for the Festools.

James Henderson
08-21-2009, 1:09 AM
I ordered a DW 621. It'll fit my circle making jig, it seems to have good dust collection, it has been around for years and seems well-made.

I suppose that when the apparent differences between products are so subtle that choosing is difficult, any of the products would be a good choice. Hopefully, that'll be the case here.

Thanks to all.

Peter Kuhlman
08-21-2009, 8:39 AM
You will be very happy with it. I recommend for free-hand usage that you consider purchasing an oversized baseplate or offset base to make it more stable. Pat Warner - the router guru - sells several different clear bases for this router and that is what I used on it.

Just remember - routers are like weeds - they multiply rapidly in your collection. I was up to 12 at one time.

Bill Spievak
08-21-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm with johnny means - the dw621 fits my hands, but it does wear out more quickly, at least imo. I did get the smallest festool router as a present just short of a year ago. It continues to surprise me with its power and lightness and ease of use. I am not a complete convert, yet, but when it comes to the smaller jobs that is the one I go to.

Jamie Buxton
08-21-2009, 12:10 PM
I ran DW621 routers for years. It is a good design, and has the best dust collection of any plunge router I've tried. I use routers a lot, so I was accustomed to wearing one out in 3-4 years, and just buying another. However, DeWalt had a bad run of poor reliability. They'd go dead in a year, or be DOA. I finally gave up and bought a Festool 1400 a year ago. It now has lasted longer than the last three DW621's I bought, so that's good. On the down side, the dust collection system really gets in the way of seeing what the bit is doing.

Steve Rowe
08-21-2009, 5:36 PM
I have an older 1613EVS without dust collection. I also have the Festool OF1400 router since its introduction. I have never owned a Dewalt router and likely never will so I won't offer an opinion on that one.

Up until I purchased the Festool 1400, the Bosch 1613EVS was my favorite go to router in the shop. I have never had any issue with the Bosch and I am pretty sure I have had it well over 15 years now. It is now dedicated to a Leigh FMT setup. The Festool ergonomics are better designed for edging than the Bosch. It is much like a D-handle base which is much better for edging IMHO. I would choose based on what felt better in my hands for the applications I most use.

With respect to the turrents, my Bosch has 8 steps and the Festool 3 steps. The Festool turrent heights are adjustable wheras the Bosch are not. I have never adjusted the height so I don't see this as a particular advantage for the Festool. The multiple steps on the Bosch are a bit more convenient for stepping into a deep cut in hard wood. I don't have an issue with either of the turrent designs and it isn't a big deal to me.

With respect to plastic dust collection fittings, I have never broken one on the Festool in the entire time I have owned it. I do use it. For router dust collection, it is good but not perfect. I don't have another router with dust collection for comparative purposes but, believe the Festool is as good if not better than most.

The Festool is significantly higher cost than the Bosch. I got over the high cost router sticker shock years ago when I discovered that I spent much more on quality router bits than I ever had tied up in routers.

The bottom line is both the Bosch and Festool are good choices. Choose the router that feels best in you hands for most applications.
Steve