PDA

View Full Version : abbreviations

Betsy Yocum
09-09-2004, 1:23 PM
Ok - I've managed to figure out most of the shorthand on this site - but "SWMBO" has me stumped - what does that mean?:eek: "I'm sure 'shoes well made be Oscar' is not it!

Help please.

I think I may need a dictionary of the electronic shorthand on these sites.:rolleyes:

thanks
Betsy

John Gregory
09-09-2004, 1:26 PM
SheWhoMustBeObeyed

Betsy Yocum
09-09-2004, 1:31 PM
Thanks John - I would have never figured that one out on my own. It's good to know that the husbands of the world know who's really the boss!

John Gregory
09-09-2004, 1:49 PM
We husbands knows who is boss. Sometimes a good wife makes us think we are boss.

James Giordano
09-09-2004, 1:53 PM
I keep my woman in the basement, 'cause I'm the king of the...... Uh oh... wait a minute... gotta go.......... SHE"S coming

Joseph N. Myers
09-09-2004, 2:02 PM
Besty,

If you had trouble with only one of the "acronyms" used on these wood forums, your doing a lot better then most people, including myself.

As far as "a dictionary of the electronic shorthand", do a search on "List Of Acronyms" --- I think it will answer most of your questions.

Regards, Joe

Jim Becker
09-09-2004, 2:11 PM
It's good to know that the husbands of the world know who's really the boss!I will point out that marital status has nothing to do with it... ;) SWMBO is SWMBO, regardless. In my case, I am married, but have to further address SWMBO as "Dr. SWMBO", given her professional credentials (DSci)... :p I also have to answer to "Mr Evans" on occasion, but the reverse just doesn't work. Go figure!

Michael Stafford
09-09-2004, 3:41 PM
I also am married to Dr. SWMBO of the PHD variety. She has been an excellent task master over the years. SWMBO allows me to make all important decisions, fortunately SWMBO always tells me which ones are important. Two blocks from home she always reminds me " You know we turn left at the next street so you'll need to slow down". I can't tell you how much I appreciate that because I'm sure without that instruction I would have ended up in Maine......

Chris Padilla
09-09-2004, 5:50 PM
Yeah, notice we don't have any HWMBOs running around...go figure! :D

BTW, there is a difference between an abbreviation and an acronym...they aren't one in the same.

Have you thought about some acronyms that are now considered everyday words?

A small sample:

Radar (remote something or other can't remember)
Laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation)
Scuba (self-contained underwater breatheing apparatus)

Others? :)

Bruce Page
09-09-2004, 6:07 PM
Radar (remote something or other can't remember)
Laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation)
Scuba (self-contained underwater breatheing apparatus)

Others? :)Radar: radio detecting and ranging.:rolleyes:

Charles McKinley
09-09-2004, 11:43 PM
Hi All,

Dr. SWMBO is one thing but it is the SWMBOette that must truely be held up on a pedastools. You know the one with the impish grin and t-shirt that says: "My fingers may be small but I can still wrap Grandpa around them!"

Yep after three boys Pap-Pap is a gonner. ;)

Michael Stafford
09-10-2004, 2:16 PM
Being a Pap-pap is an honorable profession. I hope to achieve that high status one of these days.