PDA

View Full Version : Safe padding for friction or vac chuck?

Dan Forman
08-20-2009, 6:14 AM
I've been using a friction chuck to fine tune and sand the outside of bowls. One uses 4" PVC pipe, another smaller one I turned from a piece of wood. I used a piece of router pad for non-slip padding to protect the inside of the larger bowl from the pcv, but it left an oily ring on the wood (like the mark some plastic jaw clamps make on wood), which may or may not be visible after finishing. :(

On a smaller bowl tonight using the wood chuck, I tried covering the pad with a blue shop paper towel, but it was too bulky, and wouldn't turn true, so I went with just the paper towel folded several times covering the chuck. As I was fine tuning prior to sanding the outside, I could feel the bowl slip a few times, and when done sanding, sure enough there was a ring scuffed into the inside of my nicely sanded bowl. :(

So my question is, what is a safe padding material that won't slip, and won't transfer any bad boogie to my work? I'm sure that some of the high friction rubber or plastics are safe, but which ones won't leave an oily sort of mark?

Thanks,

Dan

Mike Lipke
08-20-2009, 7:27 AM
Mouse pads, carpet padding.
I have a supply of old beer can coolers which I cut up and use.

Office supply stores sell sheets of mailing padding, not the stuff with big bubbles you can pop, but about 1/8" thick, with millions of bubbles.
Soft leather is good.

Steve Frederick
08-20-2009, 7:35 AM
I've been using two Hook/Loop Sanding disks, 5", abrasive sides against the bowl and chuck. Works pretty well.

Randy Privett
08-20-2009, 7:35 AM
Dan,

Go to Wally World and buy Foam-eze, it's in the craft area. Comes in an 8 1/2" X 11 sheet and has sticky backing. Cut it and put it where you want it. I have one on a chuck that I've used for 2 or 3 years.

Randy

Steve Schlumpf
08-20-2009, 8:43 AM
I use sheets of closed cell packing foam. It's about 1/8" thick and does not compress or leave any marks.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-20-2009, 12:14 PM
+1 on recycle the 5" ROS pad. For the jam chuck. Too poor to buy a vac.

curtis rosche
08-20-2009, 1:35 PM
the rubber foam padding for the bottom of tooltrays. also the rubber gasket from the toilet bowl to tank works very very well.

Dan Forman
08-20-2009, 2:27 PM
Thanks guys, will try the foam ease, as I like the idea of the sticky backing, and the packing foam until I can get to Walmart. I used to have a ton of that stuff, hope I can still find some.

Dan

Curt Fuller
08-20-2009, 4:41 PM
I don't vacuum chuck but for friction chucking I use some of that stuff you put under rugs so they won't slip. I can't think of what it's call right off. But it grips really well and you buy a pretty big of roll of it for cheap.

Brendan McAreavy
08-20-2009, 5:09 PM
I use that non-slip router mat stuff, no marks.

Brendan

Thomas Canfield
08-20-2009, 10:13 PM
The thin rubber shelf lining similar to the router pad works well and is much thinner (about 1/8") and can be picked up cheap at the dollar type stores or Harbor Freight. Good also to improve grip to remove bowls blanks from screw chucks.

Bernie Weishapl
08-20-2009, 10:55 PM
I use closed cell packing foam also. Doesn't mark or marr.

Toney Robertson
08-22-2009, 7:34 AM
Dan,

Go to Wally World and buy Foam-eze, it's in the craft area. Comes in an 8 1/2" X 11 sheet and has sticky backing. Cut it and put it where you want it. I have one on a chuck that I've used for 2 or 3 years.

Randy

Just a FYI, I went to my local Walmart and they did not have Foam-eze. The lady looked at me like I had two heads.

Dave Carey
08-22-2009, 10:19 AM
I started using Foam Eze or something like it after seeing it used at an AAW demo in Richmond last year. I got mine at Michaels but would think any craft store might have it. My sheets are smaller than 8.5 x 11 but a package lasts forever.

Mike Lipke
08-22-2009, 6:11 PM
Just got back from buying some at Michaels.
Called "Creatology" Fun Foam.

8 1/2 x 11 with sticky back
11 x 17 plain back

Both are 99cents ea. Lots of colors too.

Toney Robertson
08-22-2009, 9:06 PM
Just got back from buying some at Michaels.
Called "Creatology" Fun Foam.

8 1/2 x 11 with sticky back
11 x 17 plain back

Both are 99cents ea. Lots of colors too.

Is the foam tacky on the front side so that things won't slide on it?

I just bought some material at a fabric shop that is sold to put under area rugs to keep them from moving. It is not a solid sheet but more of a netting but I think it will hold things in place. The back is not adhesive so I used carpet tape for my application.

Toney

Dan Forman
08-22-2009, 9:58 PM
Is the foam tacky on the front side so that things won't slide on it?

I just bought some material at a fabric shop that is sold to put under area rugs to keep them from moving. It is not a solid sheet but more of a netting but I think it will hold things in place. The back is not adhesive so I used carpet tape for my application.

Toney

I looked for Foam-eze at Walmart, and they didn't have it. They did have what is probably the same thing in 2mm sheets with sticky backing, same material, different name as the stuff at Michael's. It is not particularly high friction material, and not very thick, but will probably work. I think I'll put two or three sheets together to give added thickness. What I was hoping to find was something similar to the stuff Bill Grumbine was using in the advanced bowl video, which was a non slip material with sticky backing, and looked to be at least 1/8 or 3/16' thick. I couldn't find anything like that.

Mike Lipke
08-23-2009, 9:11 AM
Stuff at Michael's was not tacky on the non stick side. Firmer than a mouse pad, say.

curtis rosche
08-23-2009, 12:06 PM
i used the closed cell 1/8'' foam from harbor frieght for putting in the bottom of a tool drawer. i used spray adhesive to stick it to the wood

Art Kelly
08-23-2009, 12:20 PM
I use this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93561 on donut chucks. Just sticky enough to stay put until the compression holds it in place. You can also secure it with double-stick foam tape so it stays put if you have to remove the work temporarily.

Hasn't left a mark. Yet.

I used mouse pads for a while, until something caught or stuck and it left a black skid mark.

Art

Randy Privett
09-01-2009, 9:56 AM
Just a FYI, I went to my local Walmart and they did not have Foam-eze. The lady looked at me like I had two heads.

I don't know about the two head deal, seeing that I've never met you, you may very well have them. :D I stopped by the local Wally World yesterday to pick up a couple of things, and went by the scrapbooking area in the craft department. I picked these up. Sorry for the spelling the first post

Randy

Dan Forman
09-01-2009, 2:55 PM
Randy, that's the same stuff, different name as can be found at a number of places, works well with enough pressure. I use two layers stuck together. Here's what I came up with -- a 2 into 4" PVC coupler from one of the Borgs. I picked up a bunch of different diameter fittings, for different bowl sizes. Turned town the business end just a bit to give a flat edge, and applied the foam, leaving it a little proud of both inside and outside to make sure the rim couldn't mar the bowl in case of a catch or other unfortunate incident. Works great.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020325.jpg

Dan