PDA

View Full Version : Craft Table - Price

Lee Schierer
09-09-2004, 12:13 PM
I've been asked to make a craft table as drawn below. The materials come to about $506 for the birch plywood (5 sheets), Luan plywood (3 sheets) 3 drawer slides, finish, hinges, casters, etc. The tops on the table and the drafting surface will be covered with formica laminate material. All the exposed edges will be edge banded with iron on birch. I'm not real sure how long it is going to take to build this thing. Joints will be dados where I can and butt joints with pocket crews in other places. All joints will be glued for strength. The drop leaf will be used either partially raised as a drating surface or full raised as a layout and cutting table. The hinged supports will work in two stages to support the leaf and fold back out of the way when it is folded down. The overall height cannot exceed 37" and the storage compartments have to be sized to hold full sheets of poster board. It also has to pass through a 32" door to get into the room and needs to be portable, hence the rollers.

I would appreciate any design suggestions or ideas of what to charge the customer.

John Gregory
09-09-2004, 2:49 PM
Everyone would have different thoughts about pricing one's work. Using formulas, fixed costs, hourly rate, etc. My wife and I share woodworking as a hobby. We just started this less than 2 years ago. Most of our work has been done for family, so all we charge is material cost and some for wear and tear on the tools. We have made some custom furniture for coworkers. First I try to accurately estimate the material cost. Then I try to balance what doing it is worth to us and what I think the client is willing to pay. We are not fast, but we do good work. So computing an hourly wage is impossible. But we are not into woodworking to make money, but to enjoy and produce some revenue to maintain our hobby.

I tell people that we do "custom" woodworking. If they can find what they need premade, they should buy it. We cannot compete with mass produced furniture. But if the need a one of a kind, heirloom quality piece that cannot be found anywhere else, then we will bid on the project.

Price your project such that you feel good about getting a return on the effort you put into it. If you are like us and just getting started. Your early projects may spawn new business. And once people see the quality of handmade furniture, they will be willing to pay a fair price.

Greg Heppeard
09-09-2004, 3:47 PM
I use the following formula: Materials cost times 2 to 2 1/2, plus cost of new jigs that I have to make, plus 1/4 of any new tools for the project, plus a small amount extra if the project looks like a pain, plus a larger amount if the customer is a pain.

Another formula is for cabinetry: Base cabinets = $190 per running foot (1 drawer included); Upper cabinets = $160 per running foot (2 shelved included); Floor to ceiling cabinet = $250 per running foot. This is for frame and panel doors (1/4 plywood panel). Any changes such as a base with all drawers, lazy susan, raised panels, etc. are more expensive. Wood choice and finish choice could add to the price also. Raised panel backs or ends for cabinets = $40 per running foot plus $15 for each panel.

This is just my rule of thumb for estimating.

Chris Padilla
09-09-2004, 4:42 PM
Gee, Greg, if I add all that up for Lee's project, I get about $17,000 for the fee!! :eek: :D ;)

Are you Sam Maloof or something??? :p hehehe

Greg Heppeard
09-09-2004, 5:12 PM
Gee, Greg, if I add all that up for Lee's project, I get about $17,000 for the fee!! :eek: :D ;)

Are you Sam Maloof or something??? :p hehehe

I started out going by what the high end custom (not really) cabinet shops around here charge. I believe my work is better than that, so I charge a little more. :)

JayStPeter
09-09-2004, 8:54 PM

Yea, That 1/4 of new tools factor makes some of us pretty expensive :eek:.

But, even with that fee, I think I would still make around $1/hr. :rolleyes: :D

Jay

Chris Padilla
09-10-2004, 3:04 PM
Yea, That 1/4 of new tools factor makes some of us pretty expensive :eek:.

But, even with that fee, I think I would still make around $1/hr. :rolleyes: :D

Jay
Wow...you must be good...you get double what I do.... ;)

John Gregory
09-10-2004, 3:22 PM
My wife and I joke that we could make more per hour cooking burgers and fries at Burger King, but it would not as much fun as woodworking. LOL:D