PDA

View Full Version : Green Bowl Blanks

Brent Smith
08-19-2009, 9:30 PM
Looks like I've decided to try yet another slippery slope :). I just received a few green bowl blanks today. I won't have any time in the next 3-4 weeks to rough turn them. They are already wax coated. My thoughts are to put them in plastic bags to keep their moisture content steady till I'm ready to work with them. Good idea, or no? Should I do anything else to protect them from checking?

ROY DICK
08-19-2009, 9:36 PM
Already wax coated, then I don't see a problem just on a shelf.

Roy

David Christopher
08-19-2009, 9:36 PM
Brent, if they are already waxed, no need to do anything else

Chris Haas
08-19-2009, 9:37 PM
if they are waxed, leave them be. even if they werent, depending on the wood not much would go on in a week or 2.

Bernie Weishapl
08-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Like was said if they are waxed put'em on the shelf. I have about 40 up on mine. Some have been there 6 or 7 months with no problems.

Steve Schlumpf
08-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Brent - I agree with the advice given. Wood has been sealed to slow down the drying process, not stop it. I can almost guarantee that if you placed sealed wood in a plastic bag it would be covered in mold in short order! Wouldn't hurt the wood but is a real mess to clean up before you get to turning! DAMHIKT

Brent Smith
08-20-2009, 6:57 AM
Thanks all for the responses. Good point about the mold Steve, I hadn't thought of that.