PDA

View Full Version : Drum sander dilema

Don Dorn
08-19-2009, 9:13 PM
I have a fairly small shop (435 sq ft) but have everything there that I need. One of the things I like to do on occasion is make Shaker oval boxes. The problem is getting stock for bands thin and smooth enough.

Have been considering a small drum sander (Grizzly Baby Drum G0459) but the manual says that 1/8" is the minimimum thickness. This isn't enough as some of the bands need to be .065 or slightly thicker. A friend with a Performax does this without issue and am curious as to whether anyone who has experience, has an opinion as to whether the 1/8" min on the Griz is cast in stone, or a guideline. The Performax is a little bigger sander than I need and the Griz has free shipping right now, but that does little good if it won't do the job.

David Christopher
08-19-2009, 9:42 PM
Don, I have the jet 16/32 and it will sand all the way down to nothing....I dont know about the grizzly but jet maks a 10 inch model also

Steve Kohn
08-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Use a piece of MDF as a carrier and sand away as thin as you dare.

Cary Falk
08-20-2009, 3:30 AM
Use a piece of MDF as a carrier and sand away as thin as you dare.

This is what I do on my Grizzly 18/36.

Don Dorn
08-20-2009, 7:10 AM
Thank you - I assumed you couldn't get by with that due to the rubberized bed and thought it would shoot anything other than out the way you were putting it in. Glad to hear I was mistaken.

george wilson
08-20-2009, 9:36 AM
I don't like the rubberized bed. I prefer the abrasive paper bed. I prefer a hard,definite surface for my wood to lay upon,especially thin wood,which is what I usually am sanding making guitars. I like my Delta 18-36 just fine.

Don Dorn
08-21-2009, 7:44 PM
Another Creeker sent me a message and it turned out that he lives about 15 miles from me. He had upgraded in sanders and had a Performax 16-32 for sale for a very reasonable price. I purchased it last evening and now have had time to play with it a little and find it to be a great machine. I'm very satisified.

Based on David's response, I'm not concerned at all now and look forward to preparing some stock for the boxes. Thank you to all that responded.