PDA

View Full Version : Recall on the Ridgid R4511

Brian Penning
08-19-2009, 8:20 PM
http://www.ridgid.com/Download/R4511_PR.pdf

Steve Southwood
08-26-2009, 8:58 PM
Just for the record, mine was supposed to have been the first to go. Not bad, first in the world.

Rod Upfold
08-29-2009, 8:55 PM
From their PDF...

Hazard: The table saw’s arbor shaft can fail when used with a stacked blade set (commonly known as a “stacked dado set” and used to cut grooves). The stacked blade set can be ejected from the saw, posing a potential laceration hazard to consumers.

Wouldn't that be a "wet the pants scary moment".

Rod

Steve Southwood
08-29-2009, 9:57 PM
It was!!. Yep it sure was.

John Coloccia
09-02-2009, 8:51 PM
"Laceration hazard"

Oh my God....ROFL. Whoever wrote that little euphemism should subjected to "just-in-time workforce scaling".

Blake Barr
09-04-2009, 9:01 PM
ummmm yah... that is a bit understated.... "Causing imminently dangerous flying dado blades of death" seems more properly stated....

Dell Moore
09-12-2009, 5:35 PM
ummmm yah... that is a bit understated.... "Causing imminently dangerous flying dado blades of death" seems more properly stated....

The statement from Rigid say "Incidents/Injuries: One World Technologies has received three reports of shafts failing when used with a stacked dado set. No injuries have been reported."

THREE reports? Can you imagine if this had happened to you? Spinning blades of death, no $%~@! :eek: I don't imagine those 3 people have re-enter thier shops YET, if ever! I'd have had to throw out my pants, short, socks and shoe probably!

Mitchell Andrus
09-13-2009, 9:32 AM
Just for the record, mine was supposed to have been the first to go. Not bad, first in the world.

Did the shaft break? I can't imagine it left the saw in one piece. Why specifically stacked dado sets?

Steve Southwood
09-13-2009, 9:04 PM
Just the end of the shaft breaks off. I was using a stacked 3/4. The last 2 or 3 threads that would normally stick out popped off.

Something about the way they hardened the shafts caused this.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_0zy78Uadz_8/ShX2vyt5OEI/AAAAAAAAAI4/XQk44jpUwz4/s640/IMG_4088.JPG
Does this help? I have a couple more angles, if needed.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-14-2009, 2:05 AM
This happened to my brothers saw today. What are they doing to satisfy the recall, anybody know?

Steve Southwood
10-14-2009, 8:35 AM
Long story short, they are supposed to come "to your home" and fix it. Hearing that doesn't happen very often. I would load it up and take in for replacement at store. You might want to check with store before you do that. Lots of info at Ridgid tool forum.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-14-2009, 9:49 AM
Thanks Steve. He was unaware of the recall, and tried to order a new arbor to fix it himself, but they wanted $200+. They told him it was under warranty but did not mention the recall. For warranty work, he is supposed to take it to Denver or Omaha, 4 and 6 hours away. Ridiculous. I'll pass your info on.

Steve Southwood
10-15-2009, 1:20 PM
yea it is a bad deal. He can push real hard and they might come and fix it. I would try. The recall clearly states they will come and fix it. Maybe threaten legal action? I wouldn't get a lawyer, but I wouldn't tell them that.

Dave Mura
10-26-2009, 9:23 AM
Thanks for the info!

Steve Rozmiarek
10-26-2009, 9:43 AM
An update on my brothers saw, Ridgid is getting him a new saw delivered to the local Home Depot. They are also including a few other tools to for "pain and suffering". He's satisfied with the swap, but the process is taking a long time and he is not happy about the loss of time.

Dennis McGarry
10-26-2009, 10:39 AM
I just have a picture of a scene from the wild wild west movie with Will Smith!

That writter deserves the understatement of the decade award!