PDA

View Full Version : Closet Organizers

Alex Horvath
08-19-2009, 3:25 PM
Ok,

Not exactly fine woodworking but I really need to install some melamine closet organizers in my home. I'll probably do all of my closets so I need to get off on the right start. I'll probably use the simple method described in an article by Gary Katz (Outfitting a Clothes Closet) using standard 12" wide predrilled melamine for the vertical dividers. He uses a bottom/top cleat with a top shelf that ties the vertical dividers to the top cleat. He installs 3 fixed shelves to stabilize the dividers and does not even dado - just uses screws.

What surprises me is the lack of product for this type of organizer. I even went to a place that specializes in sheet goods and they don't even sell predrilled melamine. Katz also refers to a fixed shelf attachment bracket that allows a fixed shelf to be secured from the inside which is very useful for the end divider because you don't have access and can avoid end grain screws (probably could pre-assemble instead). Also, closet pole brackets are available that work with the melamine pin holes so they can be easliy moved if desired.

Anyhow, I can get edgebanding (probably won't need it) and screw caps online. The pre-drilled melamine and standard HW such as closet rods and shelf pins can be found at the big box store. I may even put in some drawers in the master closet.

If anyone has done this type of work any comments or tips would be appreciated. For example, I'm leaning towards dadoes for the fixed shelves in case someone tries to use the unit as a ladder. I'd rather not use MDF so I can avoid painting.

Thanks

Matt Meiser
08-19-2009, 4:14 PM
Around here, you can buy the predrilled melamine at Menards. I was going to go this route, rip the edge off, and add a hardwood edge. Then I found a great deal on ClosetMaid systems, NIB, at the Habitat For Humanity ReStore. VERY glad I went this route, and I'd do it that way again even if I had to pay full price. Its just a lot more flexible system than I could have built and we've made a few changes in each closet since they were orginally installed. Ours are the ones with the hang track across the top with standards hanging down.

Jason Strauss
08-19-2009, 4:51 PM
Alex,

I made some closet organizers for my Master BR about a year ago. I actually put more work into it than necessary as I used 3/4" ply - sanded, stained, and two coats of poly. I also used edge banding. I wasn't too concerned with the time involved; price was my biggest hurdle. The ply was on sale, as were to closet poles.

Might I suggest that you use a French Cleat to fix the various pieces to the wall. I decided to do this because it's very strong and I can move things around if ever the LOML decides she want's it rearranged. I just used cutoff pieces of the ply.

Alex Horvath
08-19-2009, 9:13 PM
I have seen the ClosetMaid wire system and it's impressive but the melamine or ply has a more "finished" look. I'll have to consult with the wife on this.

Don Bullock
08-20-2009, 7:53 PM
My wife just had several of the "closet companies" out for quotes. We discovered that we couldn't buy the materials and/or closet system for less than the quotes. I have to admit that we decided it was better to have the make and install the shelves, drawers, bars, etc.:eek: I can save woodworking time an effort for something more enjoyable.:D All these companies are running specials and additional incentives. We got an extra 5% just because we were getting bids from other companies. The company we went with really wanted our business.

Gregory Stahl
08-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Hi Alex,

16" and 12" seem the most popular around here. I just did an order for a local closet company making parts from 92-sheets of material.

Personally, after putting some of this together, I decided I would rather build my closets from plywood to match my trim--unless you have white trim, then you would want white closets.

Anyway, here is a company many of the closet suppliers buy their hardware from. You should be able to find some stuff to work providing the material you buy is based on the 32mm system:

http://www.hafele.com/us/index.htm

If you want cam-locks to assemble it, stick with the 20mm size. You can get a 20mm drill bit from Rockler, usually in stock, or you can order it from Woodcraft. They run $10-$20 - bucks. This is the most popular method of joinery as it is strong and not permanant.

Also, they have some nice metal corners that work with the 32mm/5mm holes to anchor your verticle panels to the back cleat. Just paint them white and they are perfect.

If you want more advise, I could dig up the part numbers for the stuff I normally use. 100 cams, 100 studs, 20 angle brackets and shipping is usually under $50.

Best,
Greg Stahl

johnny means
08-21-2009, 1:18 AM
I like Melamine glue for these types of jobs. Saves me the trouble of fancy joinery, like dados. Does wonders on IKEA stuff to.

Tom Godley
08-21-2009, 9:09 AM
I would also look into the companies that do this - I was really surprised at the cost to do five of my closets. By the time I bought every item that was needed and accounted for cut-offs I was up too close to the installed price.

You can get a million different systems - using all kinds of hardware and different grades of shelving so it is difficult to describe all the possibilities. The shelving that is available at the big box stores is often of a lesser quality that that available through the closet people

I got a couple of estaminets and quickly went with a company that basically hangs them off of the wall. What they do is build the designed system about 1/2 inch narrower than the closet - this way they know that it will fit even with slight variations in the walls. The shelf/cabinets then attache to a metal brace that is installed first on the wall. They use special clips that allow for adjustment after it is up. This design allows the whole thing to be prebuilt in a shop - the installers end up having to do no cutting when they get to your house.

One of my installs was a pantry - so I know the system is very strong. They also used a thicker product than some of the other systems -- probably because of the way it must hang. I only wanted basic white shelving - but like I said above it was of a much better quality that I would have been able to get.

Michael Wildt
08-21-2009, 1:59 PM
If you're looking at wire shelving then take a look at ELFA as well. The container store carries it and it goes on 25% sale about twice a year.