PDA

View Full Version : This bandsaw worth $150?

Eli Johnson
08-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Hey,

I have been reading all your posts about various things and have really enjoyed and learned a lot about many facets of woodworking.

I have an opportunity to get a low end band saw and wanted to see what you guys think. I cannot find any information on the web about this thing at all. Here is a picture and the basic specs:

http://images.craigslist.org/3kb3oa3l05Q15Rd5Sc98i95a1260f80211953.jpg

Brand: BR
Model: WCBS (Wood Cutting Band Saw) :confused:
Size: 14"
Motor: 3/4 hp

It has a base like the harbor freight model and probably is the harbor freight model just repackaged except all the tightening knobs are heavy metal rather than plastic on the HF model. It is missing the table insert but otherwise runs fine.

I am not sure if I could get a riser for this or not or do any of the modifications like adding a tension lever.

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

John Czaplicki
08-19-2009, 1:19 PM
I buy most of my large tools used, and I try to stick by the philsophy that if you have to think about it that much it's probably NOT worth it. Best case it's barely a bargain, and worst case your disappointed for a long time. (It's easier to give advise that use it to bye my own tools..lol)

I bought my 14" Delta Band saw for $150. About 20 years old, made in USA, perfect working condition, good tires, and with 6" riser installed.....so by comparison, I would say no, it's not worth $150.

It also depends upon what you're intention is. If you're going to use it occassionally and can get it for $100.....probably worth it. If you're going to use it a lot it doesn't matter how cheap it is because you'll be disappointed over and over until you go and spend the additional money on another one.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-19-2009, 2:06 PM
3/4 horse may be a little weak for a 14" in the event that you add a riser. If money is tight, check CL and get a used one, as earlier mentioned. BS are fairly simple machines, not a whole lot to go wrong. An old one, with a few mods or fix-ups will last a long time.

14" is a really good size. Not too big, not too small. If you get a "good" one, it will probably amaze you on how much you use it. I was amazed how much I use it, and it wasn't on my list of tools to get. I happened on a good used deal. Picked it up because it was cheap.

Just my .02.

Lee Bidwell
08-19-2009, 2:51 PM
it looks similar to a Taiwanese import I inherited from my grandad, which is also similar to the HF saw but with metal knobs. If so, the saw is very poorly designed, and the base is awful - not even usable without mod b/c it's so unsturdy. Like others have said, I'd pass. Heck, if my saw didn't belong to my grandad, it wouldn't still be in my shop. With patience, you can find a used Delta or Rigid 14" for the same money.

Lee

Eli Johnson
08-19-2009, 3:58 PM
Thanks for the replies...thats kind of what I figured but just wanted to make sure. Would love to wait around and find a good deal on craigslist but unfortunately I have some projects coming up and need to get something rather soon.