PDA

View Full Version : Garolite xx

Cindy Rhoades
08-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Does anyone happen to know what garolite is and can it be cut on a laser easily? I have a company that wants me to cut some sample parts from Garolite which is compressed paper but I am not sure what settings to try it is .375 thick The company doesn't really know anything about the material and I looked it up on web and couldn't really find any specifics on it.:eek:

Scott Shepherd
08-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Haven't tried that material, but in looking at what it is, I seriously doubt you'll be cutting 3/8" thick material.

Mike Null
08-19-2009, 12:02 PM
There are dozens of references to it if you do a basic Google search. Here's one. http://www.jjorly.com/g10_fr4_sheet_material_price.htm

Dan Hintz
08-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Cindy,

I don't know what wattage machine you have, but if it's the standard machine in these parts (<100W), you have no bloody hope of cutting that. FR4, more commonly known as the substrate of standard circuit boards, is a tough nut to crack, even in the usual 64 mil thickness... it tends to burn/char heavily rather than truly cut, and at 375 mils you'll have a bonfire going befor you cut a single hole in it.

If you're working with a system rated in kiloWatts, then you should have little problem slicing into it. :)

Steve knight
08-19-2009, 1:03 PM
the stuff is pretty heat resistant too. it is some form of epoxy and it varies along with either paper or a cloth base. I use it behind sanding belts and guide blocks for bandsaws.

Dan Hintz
08-19-2009, 1:26 PM
It's epoxy fiberglass matt... stable stuff for PCBs, but eats up cutting blades like no tomorrow.

Jack Harper
08-19-2009, 3:30 PM
I cut 1" & 2" Garolite all the time on the waterjet with ease, but the laser won't even begin to cut the material.

Cindy Rhoades
08-22-2009, 10:49 AM
I want to thank all who replied to my post. I couldn't do the job they wanted but at least my foot is in the door for future prospects.