PDA

View Full Version : Gloat, finally

Jim Rimmer
08-19-2009, 11:40 AM
I finished up the assembly of my new Grizzly G0661 TS last night. After some use I'll give a review. For now just a few comments.

1. They offer a ShopFox mobile base with it that is rated at 600# but it seems a little rickety with this saw on it and it's only 250#+. Wouldn't buy it again
2. Freight companies are rough (many comments from other posters on this already). In general, everything arrived OK. I had to do a little bodywork on the motor fan shroud where they had bent that. The hardware bag in the mobile base had broken open so I had to gather all that up but found everything. Since Grizzly ships so much maybe they need to have a talk with UPS or improve their packaging.
:D
Can't wait to use it and provide a little more info.

Jerome Hanby
08-19-2009, 12:47 PM
That's a good looking saw. If it works as well as it looks, you are going to be one happy camper!

Bob Vallaster
08-19-2009, 12:51 PM
That's a handsome saw.
The base looks right for it. You might check the hardware stays tight after a run-in period.

BobV

Mike Cruz
08-19-2009, 3:25 PM
Sweet. New is always good. Does it have that new saw smell?......ahhhhhhhhh

Scott Hildenbrand
08-19-2009, 3:49 PM
I demand further opinions!... Before the sale ends... So I can make up my mind.... !

;)

I looked at the base on their site and wasn't real impressed with it, so already at the notion of not even bothering with it.

Jim Rimmer
08-19-2009, 4:58 PM
I demand further opinions!... Before the sale ends... So I can make up my mind.... !

;)

I looked at the base on their site and wasn't real impressed with it, so already at the notion of not even bothering with it.
Scott: I only got the saw on it yesterday and all I can tell you is that I can grab the table and shake it and it wiggles (technical term :rolleyes:) a bit. I don't see it as unsafe but I expected a little more stability. At this point, I don't know how it is going to react when I'm pushing wood through the saw.

I just rechecked the specs on the saw. Shipping weight is 342# so I'm guessing the saw is around 250 - 275 with extension wings and fence installed. The base is rated at 600# but I wouldn't think of putting that much weight on it.

Josiah Bartlett
08-21-2009, 2:17 PM
I'm using the heavy duty shop fox mobile base under my unisaw. It was rickety out of the box, but I made it much more stable by cutting a piece of 3/4 plywood to fit inside the rails and bolting the little tabs to it. Then I bolted the unisaw base to the plywood. Its rock solid, and my saw probably weighs 500 pounds. It also keeps most of the sawdust off the floor.

The problem was that the tabs that are welded to the rails are too flexible and they allow the tool to rock. The plywood stiffened it up a lot.