PDA

View Full Version : Finial creation

Scott Hackler
08-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Can one or more of you give a little insight as to your methods for turning finials? I just finished (final turning and sanding) my first lidded container and the finial I turned to use on it looks more like a pawn from a chess set and the ones I see on here are very slender and sleek looking. I tried to get a tall slender one, but when I tried to get the top thin, it broke.

Also, how does everyone attach the finials. With my lid in the jam chuck, I left a 7mm (or so) post to the top and drilled a hole in the finial. Figured I would just glue it on.

Anyway, any helpfull tricks would be appreciated.

Wally Dickerman
08-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Finials are difficult to get just right. Most people tend to make them too heavy at first. They should be slender and appear to be almost delicate. Keep them simple without too many details.

It seems that everyone has a a different way to do things on the lathe. I use my Talon chuck with the smallest jaws to hold a blank for the finial. I bring up the tailstock for support, and first turn the tenon to fit in the hole that has been drilled in the lid. You can back off the tailstock and test the fit. I then proceed to turn the finial, working toward the headstock. It remains supported by the tailstock center. To part it off when it's finished, back off the tailstock, support it gently with the fingers of the left hand, (right hand if you're left handed as I am) and part it off with a skew or small spindle gouge.

Wally

Steve Schlumpf
08-19-2009, 12:30 PM
I use the exact same method as Wally. Leaving the finial supported with the tailstock allows you to finish sand while on the lathe. When I am ready to remove it - I use a cope saw to seperate the top end of the finial from the tailstock and then hand sand to remove saw marks. Some folks use a skew to part it - I never wanted to risk having a catch at that stage of the game - so I use the cope saw.

Richard Madison
08-19-2009, 12:32 PM
I do it bass ackwards from Wally. Blank held only in chuck, round the blank and taper a little. Then turn the tip and a little ways down (toward tailstock end). Sand, turn further down and sand, etc. Never return to the tip once it is done. Eventually turn a tenon at the base (to fit hole in the lid), checking diameter frequently with dial calipers. Part off. Tenon should be a close fit but not a press fit, as this could split the top/lid. High speed, sharp tool, light cuts. Glue w/ a drop of TB II.

Alec Moseley
08-19-2009, 4:53 PM
try to get hold of a Cindy Drozda video. She turns unbelievable finials and demos the techniques quite clearly.

Ken Glass
08-19-2009, 5:51 PM
I second Alex's comment. Since I bought one of Cindy's videos, My finial completion and the quality has risen substantially. A worth while purchase. Any of the three videos would be great. I have learned how to sharpen my 5/16" detail gouge to get the best results in such tight areas. Backing up your work with your free hand keeps from breaking the finial during turning process. Good luck.