PDA

View Full Version : Pfeil "Swiss Made" Chisels

Robert Lang
08-19-2009, 7:36 AM
Just seen John's upgrade in the classifieds. I acquired two Swiss Made chisels a while back and thought they were excellent all around. Then FWW sort of confirmed that.

However, has anyone here personally compared them to the Lie Nielsen or Blue Spruce?

I have been thinking of trying a single chisel from Lie Nielsen and Blue Spruce to see what they are about. I have some excellent old chisels that compare favorably with the Swiss Made already.

John Keeton
08-19-2009, 8:18 AM
Hey Bob, let me add some thoughts to my "upgrade." I used the Pfeil alongside the BS "paring chisels" in cutting some dovetails. The Pfeil performed very well, and at least intially, held an edge a bit better than Dave's BS. However, as I honed the BS, it seemed that the exposed metal was a considerably more durable than the initial edge. Seems others have commented on this with regard to other "new" tool edges.

After honing back the edges of both, I think the performance of both was a close race, with the "edge" given to BS. However, I personally like the overall look and feel of the BS bench chisels better, and I like the cross sectional shape of the blade.

I use chisels minimally and I am sure I am in the minority here! My principal use of the BS, and the Pfeil, is to cut dovetails. I think for that use, the BS bench chisels are superior for reasons in addition to the edge characteristics, though I found them to hold an edge extremely well.

I should add that I have a set of Narex bench chisels that I use for general purpose work, and I have been very pleased with them. They hold an edge, however, the ergonomics are lacking, and their blade shape is pretty basic. But, then, I use them for basic work!

FWIW!!

Charles Shenk
08-19-2009, 1:53 PM
Or consider some old chisels. I've found that my $10 Witherby's hold an edge at least as good, if not better, than my Lie Nielsens which I will probably will sell. I also love old buck brothers chisels because they have really low bevel profiles like the Lie Nielsens for dovetailing. I also like the character of old tools.

Jim Koepke
08-19-2009, 4:23 PM
Or consider some old chisels. I've found that my $10 Witherby's hold an edge at least as good, if not better, than my Lie Nielsens which I will probably will sell. I also love old buck brothers chisels because they have really low bevel profiles like the Lie Nielsens for dovetailing. I also like the character of old tools.

I have to agree with this 100%. Love my Buck Brothers and my Witherby's. Also have a lot of other old chisels. Yesterday and into this morning, I was using an old Union Hardware chisel. I was beating on it a bit and finally cleaning up some glue squeeze out. I made the mistake of holding the chisel close while picking at some glue with a finger nail. The glue let go and the tip of my finger touched the chisel. Haven't been bit like that in awhile. Went to the house and cleaned it and had the wife put a band aid on and give it a kiss. Then it was back to work. Some of those old suckers can really hold an edge. They can trim my fingernails and they don't need to be filed afterwords.

jim

Harlan Barnhart
08-19-2009, 5:49 PM
I have to agree with this 100%. Love my Buck Brothers and my Witherby's. Also have a lot of other old chisels. Yesterday and into this morning, I was using an old Union Hardware chisel.
jim
A second on the old Union Hardware chisels. I Ebayed a set and haven't regretted it. They take time to sharpen but hold an edge better than any chisel I've ever used. Then again, I have never used a Blue Spruce, LN, ect....

Robert Lang
08-19-2009, 8:53 PM
Well the concensus seems to be the same one I have had over the years...use old steel. I have more than a few old, quality chisels.

Like I said, the Swiss Made are excellent and compare favorably to my old chisels. Hearing if others think LN and BS are better than the SM may help me satisfy my curiosity if I am missing something before I add them to my short list.

Thanks -

paul cottingham
08-19-2009, 9:40 PM
I agree with the comment on the Narex chisels. They take an edge well (hey, I'm a newbie, and I can shave my arm hair with them after I finished honing) and hold that edge pretty well.

Doesn't mean I don't lust after some Lie Nielsons of course....

george wilson
08-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Narex chisels are perhaps the best bargain out there. Narex also makes some very expensive machine tool items. I have a universal boring head that costs over $2500.00 new. Mine is new,but I got it luckily at a place where the value wasn't known.

Don't get the idea that Narex makes junk because their chisels are low priced. I'd change the handles,and use them.