PDA

View Full Version : 2 Hollow Forms

alex carey
08-19-2009, 1:13 AM
Here are two vases I finished today.

The first is Eastern White Cedar and the second is Olive, I forgot to measure but they are both around 6 or 7 inches. My friend just dropped off an olive log, he thought it was too small for me to turn so its all he dropped off, I wish he had dropped it all off but its better than nothing. Smells great and turns great.

I just can't seem to capture the form of these things in a picture, I like to think turning comes pretty naturally to me but picture taking on the other hand is tough. I think I might have to build an actual photo tent one of these days.

I accidentally stuck my finger in the olive while sanding and banged up my middle fingers nail. The nail turned red but the blood didn't come out so I had to dig a hole in my finger to get the blood out, hurt like hell but its better than the finger swelling up.

Comments, Critiques, thoughts all appreciated.

Alex

alex carey
08-19-2009, 1:17 AM
more pictures

John W Dixon
08-19-2009, 4:00 PM
Alex, very nice! Those are some cool looking pieces.

John

Harlan Coverdale
08-19-2009, 4:06 PM
Nice work, Alex. I prefer the form of the second one. The inward curve on the first one doesn't really appeal to me personally. The finish looks nice. Aside from a bit of blood, what'd you use on them? :p

alex carey
08-19-2009, 4:43 PM
I sanded to 3000 on both and thats it, neither of them have any finish on them.

Brian Novotny
08-19-2009, 10:50 PM
oh snap. you;ve gone engrain:)

Mike Spanbauer
08-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Really like the form and grain on the 2nd piece. You need more lighting :) It's not that your photography is bad necessarily, but you can't even determine what needs improvement until you get more light in there.

well done, bummer about the nail though. They take a bit to heal, which always bites.

mike

Steve Schlumpf
08-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Nice work on both of your hollow forms Alex! Really like the form on the second turning and (personal opinion) feel it would be even more attractive without such a high foot.

I agree with Mike - get some light on your subject and then we can figure out the next step - if needed.

alex carey
08-20-2009, 3:42 AM
Yeah, ill definitely work on the light, I think I need white lights and not yellow.

Not sure what your seeing Brian but they weren't endgrain.

Marcus Block
08-20-2009, 1:44 PM
Nice Job! But better put a leash on it:cool:, just in case it wants to run. Olive is prone to do that.

Bernie Weishapl
08-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Great looking pieces Alex. Nicely done.

Don Kondra
08-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Yeah, ill definitely work on the light, I think I need white lights and not yellow.

Consider picking up some of the new twisty Compact Fluorescent bulbs and be sure they are rated at 5500k... that is considered "day light".

If you can't find them locally you can order them from Alzo Digital (http://alzodigital.com/online_store/replacement_lamps.htm).

Cheers, Don

Ken Fitzgerald
08-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Alex,

Nice forms! The wood looks gorgeous.

I took the liberty of playing with one of your pictures.

Is this closer to what the coloration of the wood really is?

I hope you don't mind.

alex carey
08-21-2009, 1:49 PM
i dont mind at all and yet it is closer. thanks you for that.

Brian Novotny
08-21-2009, 11:56 PM

Not sure what your seeing Brian but they weren't endgrain.

I was really just looking for an excuse to use the term "oh snap":p

but when I do see a hollowed form I automatically assume it's been cut thru endgrain......I did look back and the grain definitely wasn't from an endgrain hollow. An endgrain hollow shows off the grain in a much different light. I like the second piece. The first seems a little too "introverted" as far as the bottom not being more of a bead rounded into a cove. Nice work on the second piece though.