PDA

View Full Version : First Pics

Ernie Kuhn
09-09-2004, 3:15 AM
Small gloat, instrument grade maple. This is one of my first turnings that didn't end up as fuel for the wood stove. I know the rules about "gloats" and don't want the picture police (Chris and Tyler) looking for me. Saucer, about 9" Dia. BLO "soak" about 10 minutes, wipe dry. Leave overnight, burnish with cotton rag, apply Qualac(sp). Of course I will claim, pictures don't do it justice. Couldn't capture the "chatoyance". Critique, please.

Jason Tuinstra
09-09-2004, 5:41 AM
Ernie, I'm one of those flat earth kind of guys who dosen't respond much to the round stuff, but that is an awesome looking piece of maple you have there. As I said I'm not a turner, so anything that comes off a lathe looks pretty good to me. But that wood is fantastic! Nice choice and nice overall job. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Becker
09-09-2004, 9:41 AM
I really like it, Ernie. The simple form is perfect for that awesome maple. That's important...you don't want a complex design that would take away from the material when you have a piece of wood like that! Further, your design is unique and not like the average platter. I like that, too. Bravo!

Too many turners, especially when they are getting started, try to do complex shapes and curves when they can more effectively spend the time refining their techniques and comfort level through basic, great forms...sweeping continuous curves and good proportion. Your platter is a great example of what we all should be doing more often...finding beauty in simplicity.

Bruce Page
09-09-2004, 2:41 PM
Ditto for me what Jason said.
I'd love to get my hands on some of that maple!

Michael Stafford
09-09-2004, 2:48 PM
I will presume that the BLO added to some of the rich golden amber color in this piece. It is very nice and clean in appearance. If you have more instrument grade that you fear might end up in the fireplace please think of me. Good job!

Dale Thompson
09-09-2004, 9:49 PM
Ernie,
This might be a secret so please don't tell anyone. A simple shape with world-class wood is difficult to create. You have focused the attention of the viewer on the aesthetic beauty of the wood while making a real "keeper"! :)

It is relatively easy to cover up mistakes with a lot of beads, coves, radii, etc. With a basic shape, such as your creation, mistakes are much more difficult to hide. That's probably why I use a lot of beads, coves and radii. ;)

Nice work! Thanks for the pics! :)

Dale T.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Ernie....you've got an "eye" for good wood and your turning skills are improving! I like it!

Ernie Kuhn
09-10-2004, 12:16 AM
All of you, thank you so very much for you kind words. This is truly a gorgeous piece of wood.
Jason, Jim, Dale; My goal was to celebrate someone else's "hand" in the wood. For me, the chore was to keep it simple, clean, a subtle difference in profile/style.
Bruce, come on up to Randall, WA. The hardwoods place in town specializes in outrageous maple, primarily. They are about 3 hours west of me, over White Pass. I don't get there often but never get out of there cheap. If I end up with an "extra" piece or two, I'll give you a holler if you are interested. It will be a while.
Michael, this is the recommendation of Michael Dresdner, to "pop" the grain on maple e.g., 10 minute "flood" of BLO, wipe it off well. Go back several times to rub off/dry any beads that form on the surface. Got to keep at it for a day or two until it really is dry. Don't remember his protective finish recommendations but I tried Qualac on this and buffed on the lathe.
Dale and Ken, I'm not in the leaque yet of beads, coves, radii, etc. Sooo......I have to keep it simple. It isn't that I could "improve" this piece with my artistic finesse (I don't have any yet). The wood was so gorgeous, I really had to let the wood maker's "hand" show through.
Again, thank you all so much for your kind words. You make me feel that I belong. Thank you.
Ernie

Dale Thompson
09-10-2004, 8:06 PM
I really had to let the wood maker's "hand" show through.

Ernie

Ernie,
To paraphrase, "Beads and coves are made by me, but only God can make the tree!" Kudos to BOTH of you! :)

Dale T.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-10-2004, 9:31 PM
Ernie....I hate to be the one who has to break the news to you but....YOU DO BELONG! :D Joining the 'Creek is kinda like stepping in quicksand.....once you're in.....you're in! :eek: :rolleyes: :D :p