PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt 733 v Dewalt 735

Steve Mellott
08-18-2009, 6:51 PM
I am a hobbyist woodworker and have been using a Dewalt 733 planer for several years. It meets all my needs and I've not had any problems. I have the opportunity to buy an HD clearanced Dewalt 735 for $265 but have read some negative reviews about the blades on that unit. I'm also not sure that I need 2 speeds - 1 seems to work fine for me. 12.5" seems to be wide enough so I don't need a 13" unit. I'm looking for advice - should I keep the 733 or get the 735? Thanks.

Steve

Paul Nienaber
08-18-2009, 7:02 PM
I'm in your exact position. The only reason I am considering a 735 is that there is a spiral head for it. I wouldn't put one on it right away, but someday maybe. My 733 does everything I want it to right now. As my skills increase I may want a better planer to reduce tearout in figured woods. Be aware, the 735 does not come with in/outfeed tables, they are an added expense.

Anthony Anderson
08-18-2009, 7:22 PM
I stepped up from the 733 to 735. The automatic cutterhead lock is a really convenient.

The extra .5" didn't influence my decision at all, but may come in handy.

I bought the spiral cutterhead, but haven't installed it yet, but as mentioned, it is available.

I also added the Wixey height gauge, and really like as well, but you can upgrade the 733 with that as well.

For the amazing price you could get the 735 for, there is no way that I would pass that up. Mine is a reconditioned and I paid quite a bit more than your new cost.

Good Luck, Bill

Jacob Griffith
08-18-2009, 7:26 PM
Hi Steve,

Regarding the knives, there are forum posts regarding after market knives that hold up better than the DeWalt stock ones. I only use my 735 occasionally so I plan to buy better knives when I need to replace them.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-18-2009, 8:43 PM
Isn't the 733 a 2 blade vs a 3 blade? Seems like a no brainer to buy the 735 at that price. If you don't like it you can send it to me....:)
I checked HD on line, must be a local clearance? As mentioned, I'd be on my way right now.....

Chuck Isaacson
08-18-2009, 9:03 PM
At that price, tell me where it is at and I will go buy another one. I would definitely go get it. You will not regret it. It is a sweet planer.

Chuck