PDA

View Full Version : Sealing driveway cracks

Fred Voorhees
08-18-2009, 6:25 PM
I want to seal the cracks in my driveway before the colder weather comes in and I would like some advice from the fellow SMC'ers. I do not prefer to go to the Depots and Lowes stores for the cheap stuff they have. I want some good stuff and I found this stuff on the internet and wonder what some think and/or if any of you have had experience with this stuff.

http://www.latexite.com/pr-crkstix.html

The price isn't terrible for the amount that I would need. Looks easy enough in the application. What do you think?

Michael Wetzel
08-18-2009, 6:51 PM
I like latexites tub of crack filler. I used that to fix a number of issues and it held up better than anything else. I can imagine that product would be even better. I might look into that..

Fred Voorhees
08-18-2009, 7:20 PM
I like latexites tub of crack filler. I used that to fix a number of issues and it held up better than anything else. I can imagine that product would be even better. I might look into that..

Michael, on second thought and after inspection of the actual cracks, this stuff might be pretty difficult to stuff into the myriad network of cracks in a few of the spots. I may have to go with a pourable solution. I will be looking into the tub of Latexite and other stuff, but right now, it looks like "pourable" is the way to go. I may still get some of the rope like stuff in the link above. I do have some spots where that would come in handy.

Michael Wetzel
08-18-2009, 7:58 PM
Michael, on second thought and after inspection of the actual cracks, this stuff might be pretty difficult to stuff into the myriad network of cracks in a few of the spots. I may have to go with a pourable solution. I will be looking into the tub of Latexite and other stuff, but right now, it looks like "pourable" is the way to go. I may still get some of the rope like stuff in the link above. I do have some spots where that would come in handy.

I actually used the tub of latexite crack filler with a large putty knife and coated spots damaged from people turning their wheels on a hot day. The 2 really damaged spots are still good after 4 or 5 years. Make sure you pressure wash the area so it can adhere better.

I used the pourable stuff from other companies before and it hasn't been worth the effort.

Larry Frank
08-18-2009, 8:05 PM
I looked at the website for the material and it looks pretty good for wide cracks. Luckily, the ones in my driveway are smaller and I use a pourable material. The information on the website is very good no matter what material that you use. The crack must be cleaned out and dry. I have used the air hose to blow the cracks out gently. Too much air and you can damage the driveway. The other part is that no matter what material that you use, you will still tend to have some cracks due to ground heave especially in the spring. All you can really do is slow down the process and keep moisture from getting in the cracks when you have the daily freeze thaw cycle.

Dave Johnson29
08-24-2009, 12:29 PM
I may have to go with a pourable solution.

Fred,

What did you decide on? Yesterday I was looking at some cracks in the pad in front of the garage and I guess I should fill those before Winter. They too are small width cracks, maybe an 1/8" or so and the putty-like stuff would be heavy going to get it in to any depth.

Karl Brogger
08-24-2009, 2:36 PM
I just paid a guy to seal my driveway, fill some cracks, and put in a rubber filler inbetween the concrete apron in front of the garage and the pavement. $175, all I had to do was not drive on it for a couple of days. I was planning on doing it myself too, but for what it cost to have someone else do it I couldn't say no. I've got a decent sized driveway, if I had to guess I'd say 30'~ wide and 50'~ long.

Dave Johnson29
08-24-2009, 2:49 PM
$175, all I had to do was not drive on it for a couple of days.

Now that's food for thought Karl. Thanks. I live a bit out in the boonies but will see what may be available. Save the old knees somewhat. :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-25-2009, 12:11 PM
I just paid a guy to seal my driveway, fill some cracks, and put in a rubber filler inbetween the concrete apron in front of the garage and the pavement. $175, all I had to do was not drive on it for a couple of days. I was planning on doing it myself too, but for what it cost to have someone else do it I couldn't say no. I've got a decent sized driveway, if I had to guess I'd say 30'~ wide and 50'~ long.

Around here I can't get a driveway sealer for less than $500.00
I'm thinking of just treating the cracks with asphalt sealer.

Larry Frank
08-26-2009, 7:58 PM
I really hate to get down on my hands and knees and fill the cracks. To do it right, you need to clean them out and make certain that they are dry. Then put in the crack filler. Whatever you use, you want it to seal the crack as these cracks just grow larger if not done properly. I spend the time and money to do them the best possible and hope I do not have to do them again for a couple of years.
I had my driveway coated a year ago and it was $150 for 18 feet by 50 feet. They guy who did it was the same one that put it down a number of years ago.

Fred Voorhees
08-28-2009, 7:34 PM
Fred,

What did you decide on? Yesterday I was looking at some cracks in the pad in front of the garage and I guess I should fill those before Winter. They too are small width cracks, maybe an 1/8" or so and the putty-like stuff would be heavy going to get it in to any depth.

John, I am thinking of a three pronged attack with these three products.

http://www.latexite.com/pr-trpatch.html

http://www.latexite.com/pr-2x.html

http://www.latexite.com/pr-plistix.html

I have a pressure washer and an air compressor, so getting the cracks really cleaned out and dried should not be problem. But, I really do need to do this this fall.

Fred Voorhees
08-28-2009, 7:36 PM

I have a fairly large wrap around driveway and a neighbor just had his driveway resealed. I was mowing my lawn last week and this strange truck comes pulling into my driveway. I stopped to see what was up and it was the same guy who did the neighbors. I told him I was planning on doing my driveway myself. He says, "Well, if you heard my price...you might think about letting me do it." He quoted me over $700. I knew right then that I would be doing it myself.