PDA

View Full Version : Latest Project: Bed Parts

Matt Hutchinson
08-18-2009, 6:22 PM
So, there are many new members here whom I don't know and who don't know me. I obviously haven't been very active lately, but I still read the threads. For those who don't know, I am trying to get into the architectural turning business, along with any and all forms of turning.

I finally got a decent size job (I have been doing a lot of little replacement parts for furniture repair). I was hired to make parts for a bed sold online so the customer could make her own.

I learned a lot, as I really haven't done long spindle work much. For those who may attempt it, don't turn a piece in split sessions. I was dumb enough to try it, and the wood moved/warped on me. You can see the Bondo on the one rung. Good thing it's paint grade!!

Overall, I am very happy with the outcome even though I am very disappointed about the Bondo issue.

Hutch

P.S. The first picture is what I was asked to use as the model.

Steve Schlumpf
08-18-2009, 8:52 PM
Matt - great to see you posting again! Very nice work on the feet and finials! I am sure your customer will love them!

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2009, 9:10 PM
Matt good to see ya posting and turning. Those really look good.

Paul Atkins
08-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Pretty fun too, huh?

Norm Zax
08-19-2009, 3:31 AM
Nice work! Do you use a duplicator of sorts?

Jeff Bower
08-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Congrats and very well done Matt! :cool:

Matt Hutchinson
08-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Fun indeed! I love the challenge of a project like this. Making matching parts can be a little tedious, but the more I do it the better and faster I get. Now if only someone needed columns.... :)

Hutch

P.S. So Norm, to answer your question more directly, I don't use a duplicator. Right now I am on the slow side, but I hope that I will eventually be able to get to a point where speed, skill, and accuracy come naturally.

Don Orr
08-20-2009, 1:07 PM
Extremely nice work Matt, good for you. Your skill is obvious, speed will come in time. I imagine soon you will have more work than you know what to do with.

Good to see you posting again and keep up the good work.

Matt Hutchinson
01-04-2010, 8:02 PM
This customer contacted me recently and sent a photo of the finished bed. She did a great job, and it's fun to see my turnings in a finished piece. :)

Hutch

David E Keller
01-04-2010, 9:04 PM
That's great... Must be really satisfying to see the finished project in somebody's home. Nice work.

Baxter Smith
01-04-2010, 9:23 PM
Nice work! I have thought about turning a bed someday. Know any designs where it would be okay if all 4 posts didn't come out the same?:)