PDA

View Full Version : My son wants a .22 rifle

Dennis Peacock
08-18-2009, 5:19 PM
OK...it's only been many years since I've even been the slightest bit interested in a .22 caliber rifle. My son is 14 and he and I both feel it's past time for him to gain more experience with rifles. He wants to buy himself a .22 and I'm just trying to figure out what is the best rifle for the least amount of money I can get..either new or used...for him to see if he really likes a .22 caliber or not.

I do know he wants to get himself a deer rifle at some point in the not to distant future, but that's a whole different story there. :)

So what are your points, advice, and experiences.??

Ken Fitzgerald
08-18-2009, 5:21 PM
Dennis,

Remington and Marlin both make some relatively cheap 22 caliber rifles that will shoot within an acceptable level accuracy and not break the bank with the purchase.

Steve Schlumpf
08-18-2009, 5:54 PM
Dennis - I have had a Marlin for over 35 years and like any other rifle - once you use it regularly - it is extremely accurate. I highly recommend Marlin - very reliable, accurate and easy to shoot!

David Drickhamer
08-18-2009, 5:54 PM
The Ruger 10/22 is an excellent 22. It's a semi-auto that has a 10 shot rotary magazine. After your son decides he likes shooting it can use the basic gun to "build" a gun he can use for target shooting. You can change more on this rifle than any other I'm aware of, barrels, stocks etc. I'm a gunsmith and have built many of these guns for myself and others.
I'm glad to see some of our younger people take an interest in the shooting sports. You should also have him take a good Hunter Ed class if he hasn't already.
Dave

Bonnie Campbell
08-18-2009, 6:05 PM
Some people don't care for them, but I like the Handi Rifles. Yes, it's just a single shot (great for training each shot counts). If you buy a 22 with the right action you can change calibers by just buying another barrel. I have barrels ranging from 22k hornet up to a 45/70.

Mike Langford
08-18-2009, 6:08 PM
+1 on the Ruger 10/22

I've owned one since '84....Great little rifle!

Tony De Masi
08-18-2009, 6:48 PM
+2 on the Ruger 10-22. What a great little rifle. Just took out a groundhog at 93 yards over the weekend. No modifications on this rifle either.

Tony

Michael Wetzel
08-18-2009, 6:49 PM
+3 10-22 are nice rifles. Ammo is cheap and they are nice to shoot.

Mike Wellner
08-18-2009, 7:11 PM
10/22 in .22 mag

Brent Leonard
08-18-2009, 7:20 PM
I don't like semi-auto's as a first gun.
IMO, better to learn on a bolt action with a clip magazine as the first gun, then move to the semi-auto. It's just a little easier for a 14 year old to KNOW when there is a round in the chamber.

Matt Sollars
08-18-2009, 7:22 PM
+4....i think..... on the 10-22....you can't go wrong.

matt

Stan Terrell
08-18-2009, 7:23 PM
+5 for the 10-.22, I have two one in 22lr and the other in .22 mag. I like both of them

Gerold Griffin
08-18-2009, 7:27 PM
The Rugar 10/22 is a great rifle, no getting around it. The boy is 14 but how much experience does he have with firearms? I've met several grown men who shouldn't be allowed to carry a bow let alone a rifle. If he is safe with a rifle by all means the Rugar. If he lacks experience a good bolt action might be a better choice. It forces beginners to make the first shot count and they don't get carried away. Just a thought.

Jerry Bruette
08-18-2009, 7:45 PM
I like bolt action rifles regardless of caliber. I think they're more accurate and teach control. They can be loaded one shot at a time or fed from a magazine.

Ruger makes a fine bolt action 22, the model 77/22, and it uses the same 10 round rotary magazine as the 10/22 although it's more money.

I'll take some heat for the following recommendation but here it goes....
When my son was 10 or 12 he bugged me long and hard for a 22 rifle. I finally gave in and picked out an economical rifle with the offer he pays half, I pay half. What we purchased was a Norinco JW-15. I know...I know Chinese junk. The finish isn't on par with Ruger, Marlin, or Remington but I'd go head to head with any of them. This gun is a copy of a BRNO #1 and shoots like crazy.

I'd check on gunsamerica.com for pricing or go to gunshows and look for some deals.

Good luck Dennis and happy shooting.

Jerry

Paul Ryan
08-18-2009, 7:51 PM
I disagree with the thought that a young person needs to learn with a bolt action. Saftey and shooting where he aims, should be the most important things. Not how to operate the gun. As he gets older he will learn to use a bolt action as in the deer rifle. Let him learn how to be safe with the gun and shoot. I recomend the 10/22 also you cant go wrong. It will run a little more than some of the other .22's but he will never out grow it. The gun can be changed to suit him as he gets older.

As with tools you can never go wrong buying good firearms, they perfom better, last longer, and hold their value longer.

Von Bickley
08-18-2009, 8:11 PM
Dennis,

I have the Ruger 10/22 and it's a very nice 22 rifle. Like any firearm, you must be very careful. When you take the magazine out, you still have one in the chamber DAMHIKT.........

If I get another 22 rifle, I will look seriously at getting a Henry 22 Lever Action. Nice looking rifle...... ;)

Mac McQuinn
08-18-2009, 8:41 PM
I shoot a upper end Benchrest .22 rifle and have been shooting for 45 years. I personally feel a solid bolt action .22 such as a Savage or Marlin would fill the bill. Some companies make a single shot clip adapter which interchanges with the factory 5 shot units. Good tool for novice shooters. Rummage sales are sometimes a good source for a little used .22. Good luck in your search.

Mac

Rich Engelhardt
08-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Hello,
I have a Marlin/Glenfield model 60 that's going on a million years old and half that many rounds ;).
It's more accurate than it has a right to be.

I also have a very expensive Browning lever action that hs a horrid trigger.
It's been back to Browning and they fixed it up enough so that it's just this side of ok.

My wife has a Wincheter Trapper model lever action which you can't pry out of her hands.
What a marvleous little shooter!
(both the Winchster & the wife)

I'd suggest combining both WW'ing and the .22.
There's tons of used and neglected .22's on the used shelf that really sparkle with a little refinishing.
I've "fixed up" half a dozen or so over the years.

Eric Larsen
08-18-2009, 10:23 PM
OK...it's only been many years since I've even been the slightest bit interested in a .22 caliber rifle. My son is 14 and he and I both feel it's past time for him to gain more experience with rifles. He wants to buy himself a .22 and I'm just trying to figure out what is the best rifle for the least amount of money I can get..either new or used...for him to see if he really likes a .22 caliber or not.

I do know he wants to get himself a deer rifle at some point in the not to distant future, but that's a whole different story there. :)

My dad found a .22 1950s-vintage bolt-action Remington sticking out of a trash can when I was 12-years old. He knocked on the door, and learned that the man's wife gave an ultimatum, "Me or the rifle."

So he was given the rifle and gave it to me for a birthday present. (I doubt you'll find a rifle in a trash can these days, that's completely irresponsible.) That was probably my favorite birthday. My first present was an 5-shot clip, then a small scope, and then the rifle, and then a brick of ammo. I doubt dad paid more than $10 back in the 80s for the lot.

But I still have it, and it's a good rifle (I don't need a scope for it these days). It's a great first gun for a teen, because the kick is non-existent, and the ammo is cheap. I shot thousands of water-filled soda cans at that age, and it was always a lot of fun.

It's a good way to teach a kid about gun safety, if nothing else.

Martin Shupe
08-18-2009, 10:34 PM
I have a Ruger 10-22, and that's what I used to teach my son to shoot. At Scout camp, they used a Remington bolt action 22.

My son is 14, and does not own any of his own guns. I own the guns, and they stay in the gun safe unless WE go shooting.

He has a .270, that I bought for him to use. It will be his after I am gone, but it remains in the safe with the rest of the guns, except when we are going to the range or deer camp.

We shoot the 22 to work on his aim, and then check the 270 for accuracy right before deer season.

Dennis, I know I don't have to tell you this, but for everyone else out there, firearms instruction is best done with close supervision. Safety first, last, and always.

I know a lot of folks grew up going to the woods by themselves with a 22 at 8 years old. If you have a farm with 1000 acres, that's fine. In this day and age, I would not let my son do that without supervision.

When I was in college, around 1980, a guy in my dorm was killed by a little old lady while hunting on public land. She "heard a noise" and shot at it. Very sad situation, but it happens too often, IMHO.

My boy loves to hunt, and has a healthy respect for firearms. I am glad, and hope he continues to be safe.

Joel Goodman
08-19-2009, 12:03 AM
I am part of the Ruger 10/22 fan club. I had one that I had Jim Clark put a bull barrel on and outfit with a target trigger which would shoot 10 shots at 50 yards into a dime sized hole --- sold it to my oldest friend who loves it. But a semi auto is inherently more dangerous so that's a call you need to make. If you could find a good second hand bolt action.....

Steve Rozmiarek
08-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Oh, what the heck, my $.02 may as well enter the fray. I love the 10/22, but my first .22 was a Remington 581 bolt action. I'm really glad that I learned to shoot well with a "slow" rifle before I learned to shoot anything else. Having to take the time to manually run the action forces a better grasp of the mechanics of shooting accuratly IMHO. Think about it, you pretty much have to completely reaquire the target after every shot, which is also a lot more like deer hunting. Let the semi auto stuff show up a little later, after he really learns to shoot. Another benefit of the bolt action, it's MUCH cheaper to feed.

Tom Veatch
08-19-2009, 12:37 AM
I'll side with Brent on this subject. A bolt action operated as a single shot is the proper choice for a first rifle. Someone mentioned learning to shoot as opposed to operating the weapon. You can't separate the two. Learning to operate the weapon is as much a part of shooting as learning the correct sight picture.

I would never put an autoloader of any caliber in the hands of someone who hasn't already developed a respect for rifles as a class of weapon and a full realization of how they must be handled and operated to prevent accidental discharge and the attendant dangers. It is far too easy for the inexperienced rifleman to forget that an autoloading weapon is still fully capable of being fired immediately after they've send a round downrange.

A single loading bolt action - or any single loading action, bolt or otherwise - forces a specific set of actions before a second shot can be fired. This places a full stop punctuation in the process and the activity of loading and chambering a round reinforces the realization that "This weapon is ready to fire! Do not point it at anything you do not intend to shoot".

Eric Larsen
08-19-2009, 1:23 AM
A single loading bolt action - or any single loading action, bolt or otherwise - forces a specific set of actions before a second shot can be fired. This places a full stop punctuation in the process and the activity of loading and chambering a round reinforces the realization that "This weapon is ready to fire! Do not point it at anything you do not intend to shoot".

+1

A teen does not need semi-auto anything. He'll be happy to plink tin cans, any time, anywhere. When he has a few thousand rounds under his belt, he can decide what's best for him.

Although, if your son is a lefty, it would be nice to find him a left-handed bolt-action rifle. Mine was a righty (and I'm a lefty), and it pretty-much taught me the MEANING of patience. (It's kind of like swapping your fork and your knife in the old-school Emily Post etiquette manuals.)

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-19-2009, 9:07 AM
I'd look for a bolt action single shot.

I exposed my two daughters to guns very early. If you handed either of them a gun as little children the "boredom factor" would kick in first and they'd probably have other more interesting things to want to be doing. Then if they had to tolerate you thrusting the thing at them they'd first demand if it was loaded then not trusting your answer they'd breach the thing and drop the magazine out.

I never managed to get either interested in shooting for more than a few minutes at a time.

Al Willits
08-19-2009, 9:15 AM
First question I'd ask is, is he going to keep and continue to use this rifle, or is it basically a starter rifle and will end up collecting dust?

Starter rifle I'd go with a single shot, rarely have I seen young ones who didn't want to make up for lack of accuracy by shooting more times at a target.

One shot, make it count.

If he'll continue to keep shooting it, I've had good luck with a 10/22 also.
I use it for plinking and prairie dogs, mine has a heavy barrel but for just plinking probably not needed, the other rifles in .22 I have that work well are Remington's, they shoot well and are reasonably priced.

Used might be a good alternative also.

Good luck.
Al

Harlan Coverdale
08-19-2009, 9:21 AM
Got my 10-22 when I was about 14 or 15, and still have it and shoot it 35 years later.

Ed Labadie
08-19-2009, 10:00 AM
I would take a look at a bolt action Savage with the accutrigger. So many firearms today have trigger mechanism that works like a HF adjustable wrench that got left outside all winter. Savage has cured this problem.

Face it, you can't shoot a gun accurately with a heavy creepy trigger. This will also tend to turn off a young shooter because they can't hit thier target or achieve consistent group sizes.

I've shot 10-22's and Rem. 597's with aftermarket triggers that aren't as nice as the Savage.

Ed

Bob Rufener
08-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Dennis,

I am not going to voice my opinion regarding a first gun. I would recommend getting him enrolled in a hunter safety class as soon as possible. They do an excellent job of teaching people lots of safety concerns about use and handling of a weapon. In my state, it is required that anyone born after Jan 1, 1973 must have a hunter safety certificate to purchase a license.

Ken Garlock
08-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Disclaimer: What I know about rifles you can write on the head of pin with a cold chisel.:o But that doesn't stop me from having an opinion/idea.

Recently I have been seeing ads on TV for Henry Rifles (http://www.henryrepeating.com/index.cfm), made in New Jersey. They are a 100 year old company that advertises that their rifles are 100% American made. I don't know if they are good or bad, but they might be worth a look see.:confused:

David Epperson
08-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Marlin, Savage, Remington, and even Ruger (for a price) make (or have made) good bolt action 22s, and don't overlook the CZ 452. Or even a Romanian M-1969 "Trainer". All are pretty good bolt actions to learn on. Any of which would be my choice as a starter trainer.

I learned to shoot shotguns with a break action single shot, but never cared for one in a rifle. Would probably work great through.

I have several semi-auto 22s and would advise against one as a starter. It's just too much fun to drop into the "spray and pray" mode, and that's not really the lesson a beginner needs to learn. Though a 10/22 for a later addition might be a consideration. They are a lot like a Timex watch and will tolerate a good bit of abuse and still function.

Scott Donley
08-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Dennis, if you want to make a trip to Washington, I will make you a great deal on my old Weatherby. A great shooter just have not used it in many years.;)

Larry Browning
08-19-2009, 1:55 PM
Ok, I am probably going to hate myself for even chiming in here, but...
What is is about guns that appeal so much to all you gun lovers? When I tried shooting, I got bored after about 10 rounds. They are loud, smelly and off the scale dangerous. As far as I know the primary purpose of a gun is to kill or destroy something. Woodworking on the other hand is all about creating something of use. I just don't get it. To each his own I guess.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-19-2009, 2:49 PM
Hi Larry, I guess the reasons that I target shoot is that the disipline required to shoot well, is a great way to clear the mind. Hunting is a bit different, but both it and target shooting also evoke an impression of simplier times. The sense of handling a great old rare handplane is very similar to hanging onto a great old gun of some sort. We all have our reasons, but those are mine.

Josh Reid
08-19-2009, 2:57 PM
Another for the 10/22. Own one in the synthetic stock and its a great gun. It is also one of the best platforms for future upgrades to possibly shoot some competition.

Lee Schierer
08-19-2009, 3:04 PM
I'm a hunter and own several rifles. I would be reluctant to give a 14 year old a 22 of any make with out Dad holding the key to the trigger or bolt lock on the gun. I would also insure that it wasn't used unsupervised for at least 2 more years so that the child fully understands that this is a dangerous weapon and that the bullets can travel long distances and once the trigger is pulled they can't be taken back. 14 even for a person used to being around guns is too young to be unsupervised at all times with a rifle or hand gun.

If you want low cost target practice to develop skill get a medium to high quality pellet gun in either a .177 or .22 caliber. Far less cost and danger to operate, same level of supervision required.

Bob Childress
08-19-2009, 3:38 PM
I am not au fait with current rifle models, but I certainly endorse the single-shot recommendations. It teaches that every shot counts and gets you in the habit of looking in the chamber.

When I was about 12, my dad got me a pump BB gun. He took me hunting with it three times before he ever let me carry any BB's along! :D It was all about instruction.

My first real gun was the Savage 22/410 over/under when I was about 14. Single shot, break action. I loved that gun and I learned to aim right the first time. :rolleyes:

[Wanna see my Expert Marksman medal from the Air Force? :p:p ]

Dennis Peacock
08-19-2009, 4:24 PM
Thanks everyone.

Please understand that I don't take things like weapons lightly. Remember, I'm an ex-explosives expert and I was also raised with rifles and shotguns from the age of 7. I shot my 1st pistol at age 8 and shot my granddad's old 10 gauge shotgun at age 11. I am neither careless nor irresponsible with my weapons nor my family.
I do have plans for both of my boys to take the local hunting safety course. They both have several airsoft weapons and play "army" with them, and one of them has a recurve bow and does target shooting with it. One has a .177 pellet rifle and even their airsoft guns are treated with respect and care.

We will shop around and talk around and see what comes up. I'd like to get a bolt action 1st as that is what I learned on. :)

Steve Rozmiarek
08-19-2009, 4:38 PM
I'm a hunter and own several rifles. I would be reluctant to give a 14 year old a 22 of any make with out Dad holding the key to the trigger or bolt lock on the gun. I would also insure that it wasn't used unsupervised for at least 2 more years so that the child fully understands that this is a dangerous weapon and that the bullets can travel long distances and once the trigger is pulled they can't be taken back. 14 even for a person used to being around guns is too young to be unsupervised at all times with a rifle or hand gun.

If you want low cost target practice to develop skill get a medium to high quality pellet gun in either a .177 or .22 caliber. Far less cost and danger to operate, same level of supervision required.

Lee, I think the age of responsibility varies per kid. I was far younger then that when I got the "keys". I also know some "adults" that I wouldn't trust with one either.

Karl Brogger
08-19-2009, 4:54 PM
Ok, I am probably going to hate myself for even chiming in here, but...
What is is about guns that appeal so much to all you gun lovers? When I tried shooting, I got bored after about 10 rounds. They are loud, smelly and off the scale dangerous. As far as I know the primary purpose of a gun is to kill or destroy something. Woodworking on the other hand is all about creating something of use. I just don't get it. To each his own I guess.

Yes to each his own. Some people like putting away a litre of vodka every day too. And woodworking is about turning a beautiful tree into some ghastly project while supporting an industry that strips our planet of one of its greatest resources.:D

I'm just kidding, I like playing the Devil's Advocate, and anti-firearm people make my skin crawl.

I got my first 10/22 when I was probably ten or eleven years old. I still have it, though I haven't put a round through it in years. There are a ton of aftermarket parts available. The best that I know of being made by a company called Volquartsen in Carrol IA. I built a complete 10/22 entirely from aftermarket parts from this company. The skies the limit, I've got $1600 into my 10/22, and I still haven't put a good set of optics on it yet.
One thing I would spend money on right off the bat would be a heavy barrel variation. Ruger sells them this way as well. While it is a bit more up front, they are pretty damn accurate out of the box.

Glad to see so much support for the 10/22, its a good rifle, easy to maintain, and offers alot for cheap.

Bonnie Campbell
08-19-2009, 5:49 PM
As long as safety FIRST is pounded into a kids head, and they really realize what damage one wrong shot can do, I see nothing wrong with kids shooting. My daughter was raised to expect every gun to be loaded, never touch one without a parent there, etc.... She used to shoot a 45 semi pistol in competition shoots when she was 10 years old. She knew what a bullet could do to a living thing because we took her deer and elk hunting from age 2 on up. She did her BB gun carrying to 'hunt' for a few years too.

I helped teach hunters ed classes that I wouldn't of wanted to be within miles of those kids once they got their card to hunt! Their parent/s just wanted that extra tag to fill.

Larry Browning
08-19-2009, 6:19 PM
Yes to each his own. Some people like putting away a litre of vodka every day too. And woodworking is about turning a beautiful tree into some ghastly project while supporting an industry that strips our planet of one of its greatest resources.:D

I'm just kidding, I like playing the Devil's Advocate, and anti-firearm people make my skin crawl.

I'm not anti-firearm, I just don't get what the appeal is. To each his own I guess, I don't get golf either. You hit a little ball and then chase it, until you eventually knock it into a hole. What's the point?

Brent Leonard
08-19-2009, 10:51 PM
I've thought for a long time that the Henry lever action 22 would be a fun little gun.

My favortie squirel hunting gun is a Browning Buckmark 22. It's a semi auto pistol. A total blast in hunting fast moving squirels. It's also a great challenge getting those up high or far away shots.

For my first pistol (as an adult) was the Ruger single six. IMO, the best starter pistol.

David Epperson
08-19-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't get golf either. You hit a little ball and then chase it, until you eventually knock it into a hole. What's the point?
I agree with you about golf.
Besides, a golf course is the deliberate and willful misapplication of a perfectly good rifle range. :D

Dennis Peacock
08-20-2009, 7:59 AM
.....a golf course is the deliberate and willful misapplication of a perfectly good rifle range. :D

Now that's funny right there.!!!! :D

Josh Reid
08-20-2009, 10:11 AM

Not sure bout the less danger thing. Those high end pellet guns are pushing 1000 feet per second or more in some models. Thats close to the same speed as some 9mm and the standard velocity of a .22 is just over 1100 fps. Now the old red rider doesn't move near that fast and could be considered less dangerous.

It doesn't matter what gun your son gets, semi-auto, lever action, bolt action or single shot, or the caliber. If he is not taught how to properly handle and respect the firearm and the power he now hold in his hands he should not be given the power of owning a gun. And I'm not saying you wouldn't teach that.

As far as the not understanding golf and shooting thing for some its the challenge. There are times I love to hate golf. Been playing for a while and am pretty good, honest single digit handicap. I love stepping up to the tee and being able to bomb a drive but for me its the challenge of trying to master what seems to many as a simple game. Shooting is the same. Its the challenge of taking that small bullet and trying to put each consecutive one in the same hole as the first. Olympic shooters are so in tune with their body that they try to shoot in between heart beats for the best accuracy, talk about challenging.

Enough of that, just my .02.

John Shuk
08-20-2009, 4:13 PM
10/22 they will be fun for the rest of his life.

Mike Hall1
08-20-2009, 7:49 PM
Here's how not to teach your kids to shoot.

Mike

Jude Tuliszewski
08-20-2009, 8:37 PM
Another vote for a magazine fed bolt action. Marlins are reliable and inexpensive. Look in some of your local pawn shops. In most pawn shops you can haggle down the asking price (especially now before the economy starts to pick up). To beat the dead horse some more, safety safety safety…..

Bob Smalser
08-21-2009, 2:58 PM
Almost 40 years ago now I cut down a worn-out Winchester Model 67 Single Shot .22, relined the barrel and fitted it with surplus Mauser and Springfield milled steel parts which were then cheap and common.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/2080858/199944036.jpg

The idea was to build a first rifle that would stand the gaff for a couple generations. And it's done just that. Three of my own sons plus a new grandson waiting in the wings but watching with wide eyes as Dad and Granddad go off without him.

14 years is well enough along in maturity to begin with almost anything. But I still like single shots with aperture sights and functional slings. He'll eventually have to learn the compromise focus between front sight and target, and you might as well start him with that. A semi auto with a tubular or rotary magazine is an accident waiting to happen in inexperienced hands. It takes more than a few sessions for safe gun handling to become totally second nature.

Perhaps someone has already mentioned this, but the US Govt sells various surplus and new air and small-bore target rifles for the purpose of teaching youngsters. Some at quite reasonable prices.

http://www.thecmp.org/

http://www.thecmp.org/images/kimber_small.jpg
http://www.thecmp.org/images/Savage_w.jpg
http://www.thecmp.org/images/Daisy-M853new_w.jpg

Al Willits
08-22-2009, 9:30 AM
I'm not anti-firearm, I just don't get what the appeal is. To each his own I guess, I don't get golf either. You hit a little ball and then chase it, until you eventually knock it into a hole. What's the point?

Larry, fwiw I've run well over 250,000 rounds though firearms and maybe 1% of them hunting, mostly prairie dogs.

There are a lot of shooting sports that are out there other than hunting.
A few are:
Bullseye (paper target shooting)
IPSC (Action pistol)
IDPA (more action pistol)
Three gun matches (pistol, rifle, shotgun action )
Steel (shooting steel plates)
Bowling pin (shooting bowling pins off tables usually)
Silhouette matches (shooting targets at various ranges)

Are a few of them, others can probably add many to this list, firearms are for more than hunting, way more.

Now with Golf, I can't help ya, I figure any ball hit well enough to find is a well hit ball.....:D

Al

Steve Rozmiarek
08-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Larry, fwiw I've run well over 250,000 rounds though firearms and maybe 1% of them hunting, mostly prairie dogs.

There are a lot of shooting sports that are out there other than hunting.
A few are:
Bullseye (paper target shooting)
IPSC (Action pistol)
IDPA (more action pistol)
Three gun matches (pistol, rifle, shotgun action )
Steel (shooting steel plates)
Bowling pin (shooting bowling pins off tables usually)
Silhouette matches (shooting targets at various ranges)

Are a few of them, others can probably add many to this list, firearms are for more than hunting, way more.

Now with Golf, I can't help ya, I figure any ball hit well enough to find is a well hit ball.....:D

Al

Al, add in the shotgun sports, trap, skeet and sporting clays. Some people get a kick out of the old west themed "cowboy action" competitions. There are a lot of variations to your list as well, for example, the local club has a military rifle shoot, which requires using some old military issued rifle for a bullseye shoot. Great fun to fire up the old Mauser for that.

Matt Evans
08-22-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't like semi-auto's as a first gun.
IMO, better to learn on a bolt action with a clip magazine as the first gun, then move to the semi-auto. It's just a little easier for a 14 year old to KNOW when there is a round in the chamber.

This is how I learned, and I can tell you that I don't regret it at all. When you have one shot to make count, you tend to become a better shot. When you have 10 shots, and only need to make one of them count, you tend to be sloppy. Or at least, you do when you are really young.

My opinion of the .22 caliber is pretty high. There aren't many guns out there that are as inexpensive, accurate, light and have inexpensive ammunition. And, a bonus for me, they are quiet, which I like. Rodents and small game are pretty much .22 caliber game for me, for anything larger I use a shotgun.

And, to this day, The best shotguns I have had are all bolt action or break open.

The one added advantage that most people don't take into consideration is that a break open or bolt action had fewer small moving parts that might become fouled. I have been skeet shooting with a lot of people who use semi auto shotguns, and it seems that their guns jam all the time, or they are forever needing to replace a spring here, or some small part that broke.

Larry Browning
08-22-2009, 11:52 AM
You know with a name like Browning, you would think I would l just love guns:confused:. They give me the willies! I just don't like em. I really don't have anything against guns or gun ownership, I just don't have any interest, and I don't understand what the appeal is.
BTW: There are lots of games you can play with a golf ball, but the primary purpose and the reason they exist is golf. Same with guns. The primary purpose is killing, I just can't get past that. Sorry.
You know, I knew I was going to be sorry I chimed in on this one. I am going to bow out.
Hopefully Dennis has gotten his question answered.

Joe Mioux
08-22-2009, 12:00 PM
I bought one of my boys a Savage .22lr rifle Bolt action and the other a single shot .20 gauge shotgun. The shotgun is a break open type. Both were youth models. Neither one was expensive, but they provided many hours of shooting enjoyment.

All of that shooting was target shooting.

They are also both have their hunter safety course certification for IL.

Over the past several years, they have grown up and are now ready to use the larger guns.

for what it is worth: a .22 rifle is hard to beat for a kid (or an adult) for sheer plinking fun.

also: I am really glad that I bought a 20ga shotgun for them. The shell provides the correct balance between number of shot in the shell and softer recoil, especially when using a light load. I have seen many parents buy their kid a .410, but in my mind that is an expert's gun, not a novice gun.

joe

Steve Rozmiarek
08-22-2009, 3:05 PM
You know with a name like Browning, you would think I would l just love guns:confused:. They give me the willies! I just don't like em. I really don't have anything against guns or gun ownership, I just don't have any interest, and I don't understand what the appeal is.
BTW: There are lots of games you can play with a golf ball, but the primary purpose and the reason they exist is golf. Same with guns. The primary purpose is killing, I just can't get past that. Sorry.
You know, I knew I was going to be sorry I chimed in on this one. I am going to bow out.
Hopefully Dennis has gotten his question answered.

Larry, I have to give you a little good natured greif for that one. The purpose of a gun is to accuratly launch a projectile at high velocity. It is a tool. The shooter chooses what that projectile hits.

As a tool, a gun is capable of enabling many things, from freedom to murder. The difference is in the user.

Have a good afternoon,

Michael Trivette
08-25-2009, 4:27 AM
I know a few out there will not agree but........
Guns are Good

Before guns the strong prayed upon the week

if Jackie Chan attacks me with a knife, a stick, or even bare handed then i loose and thats that.

If Jackie Chan attacks me with a gun then we are equal.Maybe he wins maybe i win. Hence the great equalizer.

I've never shot anyone and hope i never have to..........BUT

I'd Rather have a Gun and Not need it
Than need a gun and not have it.

And my vot for your kids 22 would be the Henry Lever Action
I like the 22 mag but those are more costly to shoot

Dennis Peacock
08-26-2009, 1:47 PM
Well...the search is now over. We decided on a Marlin Bolt Action with a 10 round clip. It is a .22 Mag, but hey, it's something we will both like shooting and the fun and education will now begin. :D

David Epperson
08-26-2009, 2:20 PM
I'm guessing it's the 925M. Basicly the same as my Glenfield Model 25, with some decent improvements. That ought to work for around 40 years like mine has. :D
Good choice.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-26-2009, 3:33 PM
Well...the search is now over. We decided on a Marlin Bolt Action with a 10 round clip. It is a .22 Mag, but hey, it's something we will both like shooting and the fun and education will now begin. :D

Are you putting a scope on it? Maybe that opens a whole new can o worms...

Don C Peterson
09-24-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm too young to be so old school, but I like single shot with iron sights for learning. Teaching safety is all about taking deliberate actions at the proper time and place. Teaching marksmanship is all about proper positioning, sight alignment, sight picture and trigger control.

I think the 10-22 is a great gun, but it (or any other semi-auto, or scoped gun) is completely inappropriate for a trainer.

John Keeton
09-24-2009, 4:48 PM
Larry, I have to give you a little good natured greif for that one. The purpose of a gun is to accuratly launch a projectile at high velocity. It is a tool. The shooter chooses what that projectile hits.

As a tool, a gun is capable of enabling many things, from freedom to murder. The difference is in the user.

Have a good afternoon,As an avid 2nd Amendment guy, I agree with your comment, Steve. But, historically, the firearm was developed for war and to kill/harvest food - so, technically Larry is correct. But, without drawing him back in to the battle, I am OK with both of the intended uses.

In the end, your final comment is the key - the heart and intent of the user. And, that intent has in the past, and will be in the future, carried out by some means, if not by a gun.

Of course, if we take this much further, the mods will get us. And, anyway, Dennis has made a fine choice - both in weapon and in teaching his son responsible gun use.

Rob Robinson VT
10-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Have you considered an air rifle as an intermediate step between his current "toy" guns and a real firearm? The .22 caliber, CO2-powered single-shot Crossman 2260 is an excellent first rifle and PyramydAir currently has it on sale for $85.20.

Also got my first rifle when I was 12, a hand-me-down Remington .22 pump with the hexagonal barrel (a collector's item that I wish I still had - although it's still in the family and currently in the possession of my late sister's oldest son).

Al Willits
10-23-2009, 1:06 PM
Have ya had a chance to get out and shoot a bit and how'd it go?
Sounds like a nice rifle...have fun.

You can teach accraucy with a semi or bolt action, just load one round at a time..imho

Al

Dennis Peacock
10-23-2009, 7:03 PM
Have ya had a chance to get out and shoot a bit and how'd it go?
Sounds like a nice rifle...have fun.

You can teach accraucy with a semi or bolt action, just load one round at a time..imho

Al

Al,
It's been going very well. I've taken him to the local firing range at Camp Robinson and gave him a nice safety speech, showed him how to handle his weapon, showed him the process from loading to aiming to firing. He's taken to it like a fish in water.!!!!!
His accuracy up to about 50 yards is pretty darn good. All within the #8, #9, & bullseye ranges on the target. He's shooting .22 Mag rounds and loves every minute of it.

The next time we get to go to the range? I'm moving him over to the 100 Yard target side and work with him on refining his aiming skills and help him build accuracy.

What a great time we've had.....me and 3 of my 4 kids....just LOVE the fun!! :cool:

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
10-23-2009, 10:37 PM
I shoot pictures and hockey pucks, oh yeah, I Am Canadian...

Do all of you really own guns??? YICKS:eek::eek::eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-23-2009, 10:40 PM
I shoot pictures and hockey pucks, oh yeah, I Am Canadian...

Do all of you really own guns??? YICKS:eek::eek::eek:

Maybe.......Maybe not..........

I'm from the USA....we still have some freedoms....

Bob Smalser
10-24-2009, 12:50 AM
There are more firearms per person in Canada than the US. Hunting rifles, tho.

James Carmichael
10-24-2009, 8:23 PM
No way I'm going to read through 5 pages of opinions on .22 rifles, so I'll just share what comes to mind:

The Ruger 10/22 is inexpensive and has tons of aftermarket bolt on accessories.

A Thompson/Center Contender carbine in .22 LR might make a good option, then he could add centerfire barrel later.

I've been thinking about getting back into shooting/reloading after a decade-long hiatus and am in near-fatal sticker shock at how much guns have gone up in that time, way more than inflation.

John Coloccia
10-25-2009, 1:03 AM

Take the NRA rifle class with your son, and then go out and get a nice rifle. I don't know where this thread's gone in the last 5 pages, but that's good generic advice for anyone.

Full Disclosure: I'm an NRA instructor myself, and occasionally teach the pistol class here in Connecticut.

Bob Smalser
10-25-2009, 2:28 AM
What a great time we've had.....me and 3 of my 4 kids....just LOVE the fun!! :cool:

You're not far in time from his first try at Station 7 skeet either. (The perfect spot on the trap/skeet range for beginners.)

In the last two weeks I picked up these two circa 1915 Marlin 20 gauges to restore for the grandkids. I'm paying $80 to 200 bucks for these. I've restored and sold off a half dozen Marlin pumps in the last few years.

The advantage of the old small-bores is back then they never tried to imitate the performance of a 12 gauge, and are built like light .22's at a true 5 to 5 1/2 pounds. They are sweet handling little bird and rabbit guns with short (13") length-of-pulls suitable for most 10-year-olds. Fully gunsmithed they still handle light loads nicely. In contrast, modern-made 20's have thick-walled, heavier barrels for heavier loads and 14 1/2" LOP's.

http://pictures.auctionarms.com/1173112240/b7d78e699f742f71cc0f4c4d03841568.jpg?aa=2009102418 3904
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/142870000/142870689/pix732943875.jpg

Here's an even nicer beginner's gun. This 20 gauge hammer side-by-side in need of a hug will be a nice winter's project if I can get it in the 200-250 dollar range. Provincial Frenchies are under-rated guns, and RST in Pennsylvania loads short, low-pressure loads for damascus.

The biggie on these is if the hammers match or not. These do.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t48/seahawktrading/gb%2010-21/IMGP0102.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t48/seahawktrading/gb%2010-21/IMGP0081.jpg

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144228858

St. Etienne was a gunmaking center more akin to Birmingham than London. The "makers" didn't make them, merely assembled them from completed parts made by local guild members, often including final regulation and fitting.

Al Willits
10-25-2009, 8:49 AM
Al,
It's been going very well. I've taken him to the local firing range at Camp Robinson and gave him a nice safety speech, showed him how to handle his weapon, showed him the process from loading to aiming to firing. He's taken to it like a fish in water.!!!!!
His accuracy up to about 50 yards is pretty darn good. All within the #8, #9, & bullseye ranges on the target. He's shooting .22 Mag rounds and loves every minute of it.

The next time we get to go to the range? I'm moving him over to the 100 Yard target side and work with him on refining his aiming skills and help him build accuracy.

Kudo's to you, I was one of them kids their dad never did much with them and I had a childhood no one should go though.

Teach him trigger control and them groups will shrink imho

Glad to hear all's going well.

Next rifle...30-30, 308 or even a 30.06, probably the three most common deer rifles out there, least here in Minn they are.

Al

Conrad Fiore
10-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Bob,
Are those damascus barrels on that side-by-side?