PDA

View Full Version : Incra LS Positioner - How much is a used one worth?

Bob Elliott
08-18-2009, 4:30 PM
I have a shot at a 25" Incra LS positioner super system package complete. The box has been opened but the fence hasn't been assembled or used. I can get it for $325. Is this a good deal? How useful is this tool to you?

Bob

Jerome Hanby
08-18-2009, 4:37 PM
Does it have all the templates and a wonder fence? If so, that feels like a great price.

Bob Elliott
08-18-2009, 4:38 PM
It's complete. It has the templates, manuals and hardware. He got it and never used it.

Jerome Hanby
08-18-2009, 5:20 PM
I looked up the system on the Inca website and clicked the shop online button, their price was 419.00.

On principal, I usually set my max amount I'm willing to pay at no more than about half what I can buy it for new, but if you're sure the guys claims are true and it's brand new and has all the parts, almost $100 off and no shipping is still a decent deal. Think I'd offer about $225-$250 and see if you get a counter offer.

As for useful, you can cut just about all joinery known to man with completely repeatable results. Takes the skill out of the equation and that's exactly what I need. I'm sure an accomplished woodworker can crank out dovetails faster and definitely end up with a product that looks hand crafted, but I'm not that woodworker. Straight and no gaps counts as a slam dunk for me :D

Richard Link
08-18-2009, 5:46 PM
I think as a general rule, using a 50% discount for a used product is a bit unreasonable. These are not cars that lose 50% of their value as soon as they leave the dealer's lot. Over the past few weeks, I've sold a lot of tools and accessories and negotiated with a lot of folks. I've run into this 50% for used argument and it generally isn't too helpful as the value of everything has to be determined on an individual basis. Establishing some sort of bald standard of 50% for everything sounds like you are trying to take advantage of the seller. I think the key is to find that magic price where everyone (as long as they have realistic expectations) feels that they did well in the bargain.

For example, if I'm selling a used tool that has been used extensively and is clearly in "used" condition, then certainly I wouldn't pay more than 50% of the new price. On the other hand, an LS positioner that hasn't even been out of the box has certainly not lost 50% of its value just because some other guy opened the box. The goal is for neither party in these transactions to take advantage of the other party for any reason (i.e. lack of knowledge, desperation, being stubborn, whatever).

$325 for that package sounds like a very good number for something that would cost $419 new + shipping and hasn't even been assembled.

Just to make sure. The LS positioner does come in several sizes and with several packages (with or without the Wonder Fence, etc). There is also a book that contains a large number of templates. Make sure you are getting exactly what you think you are getting (how about a picture of the box,etc). Also note that you need a pretty big router table or an offset table to use the positioner, so factor that into your planning.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy it.

Cliff Holmes
08-18-2009, 6:27 PM
My rule of thumb: 75% of new cost if absolutely unused, 66% if slightly used, 50% if normal use. Above 75%, I'd rather be the original owner and have a warranty.

Jerome Hanby
08-19-2009, 8:37 AM
I think as a general rule, people would sell you their Grandmother and claim that she's really 30 and just needs a little cleaning up.

You give up a lot when buying used equipment.

There is a recent thread where someone got a great deal on a whole truck load of used equipment including a jointer that was only partially assembled and never used. Turns out the bag with all the nuts, bolts, etc... was missing. Still was a great deal, the guy spent an afternoon at Ace hardware finding parts that he could make work and should end up with a great jointer at an even better price.

Everyone has manufacturing defects, they just happen. If you start assembling that never removed from the box gizmo and discover you got one of the xxxx that didn't have the yyyy cut properly, in most cases you are stuck and will have to purchase a replacement part. You might get lucky and be dealing with a manufacturer that will send you out a new part for free, but that's not the way to bet.

Not to use the term in a sexist way, but buying/selling used tools is a "manly" activity. The seller is going to describe the item in terms he sees as favorable, the buyer has to appraise the item based on his experience and research, and they haggle for a price. Caveat emptor, once the money changes hands the buyer has no one but himself to congratulate or condemn.

You can't take it back, you can't exchange it, and if you have any decency at all, you aren't going to conceal the defect and try to unload it on someone else. A lot of risk, I think the reward should reflect that.

If I were buying a piece of equipment from someone I knew well and was familiar with the piece, then that 50% max might not come into play. Dealing with Joe Blow that I don't know from Adam, I think it's just good sense.

If I'm selling equipment, then I think paying exactly what I ask along with a 15% gratuity would be great! But, I'd be crazy to expect that;).