PDA

View Full Version : #4 In Purple...

Phyllis Meyer
08-18-2009, 3:55 PM
:(Ok, I am not a football fanatic...just enjoy watching the Packers (but if my girls are home or we have something better to do, the TV will not be on). We have been to Lambeau Field a few times which was great. So...since I'm not an expert, I will leave the analysis up to you football guys and gals as to what this man is doing?

He is a great football player (his record will stand no matter what color he wears), loved watching him, respected his decisions along the way...but is this a way of getting back at the Packers, or can he truly not walk away from the game yet?

Phyllis

Greg Peterson
08-18-2009, 4:01 PM
Phyllis - This is about twelve million and two things. He can't stay away, he gets two shots at the Packers.

Favre + Packers = Perfect. I'm a Packer fans first and foremost. I enjoy watching Favre, but I wish he would just retire. How can teams draft and sign players if they don't know who the QB will be until halfway through training camp?

Phyllis Meyer
08-18-2009, 4:27 PM
I was also thinking...it's definately not for the money ($10 million). Wouldn't he make more with the Packers organization doing PR work? Very confusing...but what a game it will be on October 5:)

Phyllis

Jerome Hanby
08-18-2009, 4:39 PM
I don't recall how good the Vikings defense was last year, traditionally they are top notch. Their running game was out of this world. Maybe all they need is a decent QB to make a run...

Paul Ryan
08-18-2009, 6:33 PM
My fellow creekers, I bleed purple. I have been a viking fan since before I was born. I could not be happier at this decision the "gray beard" has made. Over the years I have grown to dispise this man do to the things he pulled out of his rear to beat my beloved purple. But by him joining my team I believe it makes us super bowl contenders. The said thing about this is I am probably setting myself up for another 1998 disaster. But over the past 10 years the vikings defense has been horrible all but the last 2 years. This year were are poised to have one of the top rated defenses in the NFL. Put that together with arguable the best running back in the NFL "#28" and some better than average receivers and tightend. And with an offensive line that should be improved over last year, I am excited. And what makes this day even better, is I can say to my neighbor across the road, and all of you Cheese Heads out there, in your face. If you are a true packer fan you should be worried. Because if Ted Thompson wasn't an idiot he would still be playing for the Green and Gold and you would be the team to beat in the central.

Greg Peterson
08-18-2009, 9:43 PM
Paul - Teams can't sit around and wait for Favre to decide if this is the year he hangs it up. The Packers played that game for as long as they could last season and finally had to get going with training camp.

If Favre had played for them last year, they would be going through the same thing again this year.

Perhaps the Vikings present the best fit for Favre at this point. He is the missing piece. Good luck next year trying to figure out if he is going to come back. You'll be lucky if he joins the team before week 1.

Paul Ryan
08-18-2009, 10:00 PM
I don't expect him back next year unless it is another one of the so close but so far things. What helps out the whole senario in the Vikings favor for next season is they will still need a quarterback. This is a patch not a fix. So if the right quarterback comes up in free agency(doubtful), can be had in a trade for the right price(doubtful), or is draftable the vikings will still jump on it. The same thing could happen next year. The "Gray Beard" decides at the last minute to play again. But unless the Vikes have solved their quarterback delma by then or he looked like "dog manure" this year it wont hurt the Vikes if he decides at the last minute.

I understand why the head Cheese decided he didn't want him back. But your team would have been much better than 6-10 with him last year. Aaron Rodgers had to start sometime and he may turn out to be decent, but it is all about winning. And I think you make your team better when ever possible, unless it brakes the bank.

Greg Peterson
08-19-2009, 12:30 AM
The Packers had been grooming Rodgers for several years. Finally, Favre retired and Rodgers was told he was going to be the QB. Draft picks were made and free agents signed based on the assumption the Favre had retired.

I love wathcing the guy play and I wish he was still in the green and gold. We've got a decent QB in Rodgers and in the long run I think we'll be better off sticking with him.

I might have believed some of what he said about the Packers forcing him to decide whether he was going to retire or not. But this pretty much cinches it for me. Favre doesn't want to retire but doesn't want to commit to the grind of training camp or preseason.

I see no reason why a team should walk on egg shells waiting for a player to decide if he will play or not. A little selfish on his part. And don't forget, all the Lambeau Field playoff loses came during Favres tenure. Packers had a perfect playoff record at home. He's exciting and makes big plays. Sometimes he hits, some times he misses.

Jon Knauft
08-20-2009, 9:33 PM
Boy, when I saw the subject line I thought someone had painted a Stanley #4 purple. Oh well. Hmm, a #5 in Gold and Green. Sorry gotta go...:rolleyes: