PDA

View Full Version : Angled Mortise help

Prashun Patel
08-18-2009, 3:38 PM
I'm making a bench that will have splayed legs at a 10 degree slant. I want to M&T the legs thru the top. What's the easiest way to make the mortises in the top?

I have a drill press and a router.

The best thing I've read so far is to make an angled ramp on the drill press, and then hand cut the rest.

Any tips to getting this right?

Lee Schierer
08-18-2009, 4:37 PM
I'm not sure it gives you all the information you need, but take a look at the instructions at this link: Angled Mortices (http://books.google.com/books?id=tUIBBzcRKnUC&pg=PA132&lpg=PA132&dq=angled+mortice+jig&source=bl&ots=neGeRmOO8h&sig=OBwlzFIujU9t7fFXBPCfhvyD7KA&hl=en&ei=XhGLStqYLse_tgetsYTDDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10#v=onepage&q=&f=false)

Ben Davis
08-18-2009, 5:07 PM
Lee,

That's quite an interesting book you've linked to! I just might have to add that to the wish list.

Shawn,
What about making an auxiliary base for the router that is angled at 10*???

Scott T Smith
08-18-2009, 9:04 PM
Lee,

That's quite an interesting book you've linked to! I just might have to add that to the wish list.

Shawn,
What about making an auxiliary base for the router that is angled at 10*???

Ben, I have that book and I like it a lot. Very straightforward, with some great tips and techniques.

Scott

George Bregar
08-18-2009, 9:11 PM
I amde a ramp for the angled mortises in my Morris Chair...I used a mortiser but same deal with a drill press...you'll just have to chisel them square.