PDA

View Full Version : Delta parts...I need to vent!

Mike Cruz
08-18-2009, 3:34 PM
UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all who "You Suck"ed me, this ought to make you feel a little better. :D

No, the Unisaw is working perfectly, it is the Delta 6" Jointer 37-196 that is the issue.

I have all the major parts, but I am missing all the bolts, lock washers, flat washers, and nuts for assembly. I was made aware of this when the jointer was given to me, I mean I stole it. After a bunch of searching online, I found the owner's manual (well, the closest I could get was the 37-195) and the parts list for the 37-196.

The owner's manual lists what parts should be packed in the box. They list them by item number (i.e. 1-35, which includes everything from the jointer, the blade guard, and the fence to all the bolts, nuts and washers included). The parts list shows a blow-up of all the parts, numbers them and then gives you a part number for each.

THERE IS NO CROSS REFERENCE FOR THESE TWO SPEC SHEETS!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I can't order the bolts, nuts, and washers that I KNOW I need from the manual. I have to go through the parts blow-up and figure out what is a bolt, washer, and nut that is USER installed vs ones that are FACTORY installed. There are some 250 parts, not to mention that some are labeled 227B (a part I need) but there is no 227B, just 3 items under 227. Not impossible to figure out, but certainly VERY time consuming.

I think I may just take a trip to my local ACE hardware store an buy the pieces through them. (In the manual, it describes each bolt PRECISELY, so I should be able to figure out what to get pretty easily.)

Furthermore, you can't get a "hardware kit" that includes all the bolts, nuts, and washers that would come in "the box".

Pretty silly, and very frustrating, and VERY disappointing! :mad:

(Now, don't all you "You Suck"ers feel better? :D)

*********** I originally wrote this a couple of hours ago, JUST before (I assume) SMC's server went down. (I assume that 'cause I couldn't get on the site for the last couple of hours...maybe they just had enough of me ;).)

Since then, I went to my local ACE hardware store. I got ALL the parts (with the exception of two of the bolts called for M8-1.25-55, and they only had length 50 and 60...I bought both and will see if the shorter ones will work or if I need to shorten the longer ones) for $20.29! Sweet!

I'm happy again...:D

Matt Meiser
08-18-2009, 3:46 PM
I was going to say, that if you get them from Delta you are crazy anyway. IF they happen to have them (not likely) you'd probably be better off just buying a new jointer. And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

Mike Cruz
08-18-2009, 4:46 PM
I thought they "somehow" may may have been proprietary. In a way, the one that is 55 length is. I couldn't buy one, if it needs to be 55 (not 50 or 60), I'll have to make the 60 into a 55.

Also, my back is twingy today, so I am taking care of a lot of phone calls and such, so I thought it would be a lot easier to call and request "the bag of bolts, nuts, and washers that comes with the jointer in the box" than spend the 40 minutes mulling through the nuts and bolts wall at ACE. But I just ended up spending those 40 PLUS the 15 on the phone with Delta.

It all worked out in the end...

Dick Strauss
08-18-2009, 9:31 PM
Mike,
If all else fails you can take the longer bolts and grind off a bit of length to fit. If you grind them, thread a nut on past where you are grinding first. Then, once you are done grinding, you can repair what is left of the threads at the grinding site by removing the nut.

I had to do that for my sister's lawn tractor...boy I hate that odd-ball proprietary parts garbage.:(

Dave Lehnert
08-18-2009, 9:52 PM
Not going to let you off that easy:D. It still stands.......

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/15/bill%20murray%20you%20suck.jpg

Dan Friedrichs
08-18-2009, 10:23 PM
So now your Uni and jointer cost $320.29? Must be rough... :p

I agree with you that it's silly Delta can't just sell you that bag of bolts, though...

Doug Shepard
08-19-2009, 5:13 AM
You have a screw loose:D

Mike Ruggeri
08-19-2009, 9:45 AM
Delta is a bit crazy with there prices. I needed a new toggle switch for one of my Delta tools. Thinking it would just be easier, I went to Delta first but was shocked that they wanted $54 plus shipping (and it wasn't in stock so it would take a minimum of 3 weeks to get it to me). This is just a simple, run of the mill toggle switch. I then looked on-line and got one from McMaster Carr for something like $6 plus shipping ($4 shipping and ordered Tuesday morning and it was literally at my door when I got home from work on Wednesday). My advice is try to look elsewhere if possible and only go to Delta if you are stuck.

MIke

Mike Cruz
08-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Well, before spending what will probably be $75 plus shipping, anyone got any idea about the little doohickey that goes on the end of the sliding crosscut Delta miter guage that keeps it in the track? It is missing from mine. Is that as simple as a washer and a screw (from ACE)?

Oh, and I realized there was another part missing, the mount for the on/off switch. It is a bar that mounts to the rear of the jointer and goes up, to mount the switch above the jointer. Got any ideas about that, or should I just order that from Delta? Thanks.

John McCaskill
08-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Somehow, it would never occur to me to call any OEM (Delta or otherwise) and ask for a bag of fasteners for a 2nd hand piece of equipment I found. AFIK, nobody sells such a thing, and I wouldn't call them silly for not doing it. Manufacturers I've worked for always carry hardware items either as individual bin items or as floor stock, never as "kits". That would tie up all the inventory in kits, since most of the parts are used on various pieces of equipment. Nice of them to give you the exact details of each fastener, lots of manufacturers don't. Saved you money!

ACE is a good solution, glad you found everything you needed. 60 mm to 55 mm is no problem with a grinder or hacksaw. My usual method is to hacksaw off the end and use a belt sander to put a 45 degree chamfer on the sawn end. Cleans the thread right up, ready to assemble. In your case, removing 5 mm with the belt sander or grinder would probably be easier.

John

UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all who "You Suck"ed me, this ought to make you feel a little better. :D

No, the Unisaw is working perfectly, it is the Delta 6" Jointer 37-196 that is the issue.

I have all the major parts, but I am missing all the bolts, lock washers, flat washers, and nuts for assembly. I was made aware of this when the jointer was given to me, I mean I stole it. After a bunch of searching online, I found the owner's manual (well, the closest I could get was the 37-195) and the parts list for the 37-196.

The owner's manual lists what parts should be packed in the box. They list them by item number (i.e. 1-35, which includes everything from the jointer, the blade guard, and the fence to all the bolts, nuts and washers included). The parts list shows a blow-up of all the parts, numbers them and then gives you a part number for each.

THERE IS NO CROSS REFERENCE FOR THESE TWO SPEC SHEETS!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I can't order the bolts, nuts, and washers that I KNOW I need from the manual. I have to go through the parts blow-up and figure out what is a bolt, washer, and nut that is USER installed vs ones that are FACTORY installed. There are some 250 parts, not to mention that some are labeled 227B (a part I need) but there is no 227B, just 3 items under 227. Not impossible to figure out, but certainly VERY time consuming.

I think I may just take a trip to my local ACE hardware store an buy the pieces through them. (In the manual, it describes each bolt PRECISELY, so I should be able to figure out what to get pretty easily.)

Furthermore, you can't get a "hardware kit" that includes all the bolts, nuts, and washers that would come in "the box".

Pretty silly, and very frustrating, and VERY disappointing! :mad:

(Now, don't all you "You Suck"ers feel better? :D)

*********** I originally wrote this a couple of hours ago, JUST before (I assume) SMC's server went down. (I assume that 'cause I couldn't get on the site for the last couple of hours...maybe they just had enough of me ;).)

Since then, I went to my local ACE hardware store. I got ALL the parts (with the exception of two of the bolts called for M8-1.25-55, and they only had length 50 and 60...I bought both and will see if the shorter ones will work or if I need to shorten the longer ones) for $20.29! Sweet!

I'm happy again...:D

ken gibbs
08-19-2009, 10:28 AM
I needed a splitter for my rebuilt UNISAW 36-812 and sent an e-mail to the Delta/DeWalt web site asking for the PN. Two weeks later I got an e-mail from Delta with the PN. I e-mailed them right back and asked for source and what the cost would be. After a month I still haven't received a reply with the needed data. I guess that Delta/DeWalt thinks they have the market wrapped up and proving service is no longer a priority.

Chip Lindley
08-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Mike, you get NO SYMPATHY from us! I see the adreneline wore off pretty fast after you hauled your Gloats home. We usually pay for our bargains one way or the other. You bought a bag of bolts at Ace Hardware for a tiny fraction of what Delta would charge (if the bag was available)

Consider this a Learning Experience! You got a couple of SWEET BARGAINS! Stop your Whining! and get on with assembling that dirt cheap jointer!

And yes,that *thingie* on the end of your miter gauge bar is probably just a screw and washer! But, from my experience, you won't miss them if they are gone. I would be more concerned with getting rid of side-play in the slot.

Mike Cruz
08-19-2009, 1:12 PM
Chip, hehe, I KNEW I would get that responses from someone, and had I thought about it more, I probably would have guessed it would have been from you...:D. Really, though, believe me NOTHING has worn off! I still can't believe it. Okay, you made me do this, I wasn't going to because I didn't want to add more bragging to the sweet deal, but I forgot to mention he gave me a 50' 10 guage 220 extention cord, too. Hehe, YOU made me do that! And, yes, I know there was some whining going on there. I admitted it. But it wasn't about my aquisition, it was about Delta. I am going to make a putter for the guy that let me steal this stuff from him. Maybe even take him out for a round of golf or something, too.

John, while I did not purchase the jointer NEW from Delta, it is essentially not 2nd hand because it was never even put together. The protective oily paper is still attached to the surfaces. I didn't find it odd for a manufacturer to have prepackaged bags of nuts and bolts on hand for a machine that they have sold for probably the last 10 years. Furthermore, the "silly, frustrating, and disappointing" comment refered to the entire experience, not at the last comment about not having a "bag-o-bolts" for me. As for giving me exact measurements of the bolts, etc, it was listed on the owner's manual, not from the lady on the phone that kept repeating that she needed a parts number to give me a price/order it.

As for shaving down the 60 bolt, thanks for the guidance. I knew about the methods of shorting it already, and have done it before, but I certainly appreciate the advice, really.

And, Dan, while yes, my OOP is now up to 320.29, it isn't just for the Uni and Jointer, there was a LOT more. Don't know if I said it before, but I went there JUST for the UNISAW, he just GAVE me the rest because he needed it out of the garage because he was going to settlement on the house the next day. And to whomever said it earlier, "What couldn't you get him down to $250?", the truth is, I think he would have given it all to me for free just for ACTUALLY showing up! He had at least one or two others that said they would show and didn't. We both got a good deal...I got great tools for next to nothing and he didn't have to rent a truck, grab some buddies to help move it all, rent a storage room, and then try to sell it. OF COURSE, I know I got the better deal, but we both "won".

Mike Foreman
08-19-2009, 1:16 PM
It's pretty frustrating for me as someone who's in the business of selling these parts, too. As a service center, they don't want us to sell anything in place of the OEM parts, so when you have situations like this where they overcharge or just make a part obsolete entirely, it's pretty tough to find a good solution for people.

Luckily for us, a lot of the parts are affordable and available, but it always feels hit-and-miss.

I went ahead and looked up that switch bar, and they're about $16 - pretty reasonable, all things considered.

Chaz Alexopoulos
08-19-2009, 1:24 PM
Mike. I was just kidding about the $250 comment. I am definitely envious of the deal you got. If I was in your position, the gloat would never wear off. Every time I used a piece of the equipment, I would just think back and smile to myself.

Mike Cruz
08-19-2009, 1:58 PM
Chaz, I knew you were kidding, I just thought I would respond to the comment. It truely was a once in a lifetime find.

No disrespect to the guy that I got this stuff from, but I think he wasn't a reall woodworker. By that, I mean I think he enjoyed it, but it wasn't truely a passion. He just happened to have the money to drop $2500 on a table saw, buy the best (or at least the best he could probably find) dado blades. (I think I listed them as the SD-208's earlier, but I think the # is SD-508...the ones they are selling on Amazon for $200 right now.) This guy needed them gone and was happy that they were going to be used...by someone who knew how to use them. That's not patting myself on the back, just a recognition...really.

Chip Lindley
08-19-2009, 2:34 PM
Mike, the general consensus these days is that Delta CS sux! New ownership has not seen fit to carry on good customer relations through an honest effort to provide prompt service on replacement parts (at any price)!

The Service Centers seem to have their hands tied now! Back in the day, I had a great relationship with, and awsome service from the Porter-Cable (Delta parts) Repair Center in N. Kansas City. Those guys were really FINE! They Xerox'd many P-C and Delta parts diagrams for me out of their own books wayy before PDF's were instantly available online!

Unless your seller was a *putz* and misplaced his bag of nuts n bolts that came with the jointer, perhaps he bought the Delta at a bargain because the fasteners were missing?? hmm...

Before Sears ended their full catalog service in the early '90s, I used to find sweet deals all the time at their Kansas City Outlet. Many were missing one little part or another. (I suspect fine citizens ordered the whole thing just to get the part they needed, then returned the *incomplete* item back to Sears!) In my woodworking infancy, I bought several brand new machines and many many tools from Sears Outlet at 50% off!

Another bargain outlet was Recovery Sales Outlet in Independence MO. Overages, damaged and lost freight from Yellow Freight System were sold pathetically cheap! During a couple of months, I saw the cabinet w/ motor for a DJ20 jointer. Later was a fence for a DJ20. Still later was THE jointer without stand OR fence! I never checked if the bag of nuts n bolts was included! I bought a Leeson 3hp Unisaw motor for $110, because the fan hood was dented. A rubber hammer quickly fixed that!

Ahhh, those were the Good Ol' Dayzz!

Mike Cruz
08-19-2009, 2:44 PM
Chip, you may be right, but this guy didn't seem to be the bargain shopper to me. Who knows? I just suspected that in the move, things go thrown away or lost. But you could be right, he may have gotten it that way...

Chaz Alexopoulos
08-19-2009, 2:48 PM
Even if he did get a deal on it, he still gave it away for $20 worth of bolts.

george wilson
08-19-2009, 5:01 PM
Stupid question,maybe. Are you SURE there isn't a plastic bag of small parts taped inside the jointer somewhere? Some other posters complained about their lunchbox planers having a little bag of parts finally fall out of them when they were running them.

That washer you need for the miter gauge is about 1/16" thick,and IIRC,has a beveled hole in it for the flathead screw that holds it on. I don't have a Unisaw here at home,but had one at work for many years. I could easily make you one if I had the dimensions.

Mike Cruz
08-19-2009, 5:12 PM
Befor replying to you and telling you what a STUPID question that was, I had to run outside to my shop and check. :D Actually, it wasn't stupid at all. As soon as you said that, my eyes lit up and thought...that's where they are! :eek: But, no, it wasn't there.

I will see what I can do about making it myself. If I have too much difficulty, I'll give you a holler. Thanks.

Myk Rian
08-19-2009, 5:53 PM
Well, before spending what will probably be $75 plus shipping, anyone got any idea about the little doohickey that goes on the end of the sliding crosscut Delta miter guage that keeps it in the track? It is missing from mine. Is that as simple as a washer and a screw (from ACE)?
Not a simple washer. Do you really need it? I take all mine off.

Kevin Groenke
08-19-2009, 6:32 PM
Mike, the general consensus these days is that Delta CS sux! New ownership has not seen fit to carry on good customer relations through an honest effort to provide prompt service on replacement parts (at any price)!

The Service Centers seem to have their hands tied now!

I would have wholeheartedly agreed with this thread before yesterday. Last Friday I took a fried motor from a 6 mo old Delta 20-950 drill press to my local DeWalt/B&D/Delta/PorterCable service center (Eden Prairie, MN). I was asked when the drill press was purchased, but wasn't asked for a receipt. I described what had happened (pop_pop_spark_spark,black goo oozing from start capacitor) and that was it. Yesterday (Tuesday) I had a new motor drop shipped from Delta. This was FAR better service than I expected. I was surprised they didn't want the whole machine, I was surprised the didn't want a receipt, I was surprised (very surprised) I received the replacement in 3 days.

That the motor failed after only 6 months of not hard work is a different story, though not particularly surprising.

-kg

Mike Cruz
08-19-2009, 6:59 PM
Sounds to me like the great CS yod got may have been an "in person" thing. Also, the service center you went to may be an AUTHORIZED service center FOR Delta. Meaning Delta wasn't the great CS provider, the service center was. Maybe that is the best way to circumvent the Delta CS problems that seem to be abundant...GO to a service center...don't call in. Thanks for your input.

Jim O'Dell
08-19-2009, 7:15 PM
I needed a splitter for my rebuilt UNISAW 36-812 and sent an e-mail to the Delta/DeWalt web site asking for the PN. Two weeks later I got an e-mail from Delta with the PN. I e-mailed them right back and asked for source and what the cost would be. After a month I still haven't received a reply with the needed data. I guess that Delta/DeWalt thinks they have the market wrapped up and proving service is no longer a priority.

Ken, have you tried a search using the part number? I've Googled part numbers before, for the speed control on a PC 8529 router, and gotten several places on line that showed having them. I'd try that. May not be any cheaper than buying it direct from Delta, but may be quicker. Jim.

Myk Rian
08-21-2009, 8:48 PM
Mike;
Your little "doohickey" is in the mail.

Mike Cruz
08-22-2009, 2:44 PM
Thanks! I appreciate it!