PDA

View Full Version : CLTT & Laser Cutting

David Biglands
08-18-2009, 9:45 AM
I am interested in the potential of CLTT.
After the image is applied - in this case to Baltic Birch plywood - can it be laser cut into, for example, a jigsaw puzzle without the amount of charring that is normally experienced with paper?
I ask the question because I do not know what the transfer medium is?
Cutting on regular 80# paper is manageable except for large white areas.
Any thoughts/comment will be much appreciated

Martin Boekers
08-21-2009, 12:59 PM
David,

With CLTT you actually transfer the toner to your substrate so the paper is just used as a release.

Toners are typically a plastic polymer that when heated sticks to the substrate.

I have cut logos and shields out of alder and after I cut I heat transfered the image to it.

That might work best for you as you can have stock size puzzle already cut then print the transfer and apply.

There are companies that sell cardboard puzzles already die cut then all you do is transfer to them. If card board works this is the quickest easiest method.

Hope this helps,

Marty

Mike Null
08-22-2009, 8:40 AM
You might find it easier to use matt white surface engravers plastic to transfer the CLTT then laser cut. You will get very good color unlike what you'll get with wood. There is no white in the toners so your substrate has to provide the white or your colors won't be true.

Dan Hintz
08-22-2009, 9:53 AM
I thought they made white toners now... ?

Mike Null
08-22-2009, 11:28 AM
To my knowledge there are no white toners.

Certain very expensive solvent printers offer white but I'm not aware of any laser printers offering white toner cartridges.

Dan Hintz
08-22-2009, 11:53 AM
First hit on Google...
http://www.atttransfer.com/whitetoner.html

Here's a mention of it from Xeikon:
http://www.xeikon.com/products/toner/special-applications

AL Ursich
08-22-2009, 9:05 PM
Interesting.... Learned something new..... I have CLTT.

Did know about Direct to Garmet white but not this....

Good link,

AL

Mike Null
08-22-2009, 9:50 PM
I have had samples from the first and they are sublimation rather than CLTT. They required two imprints and registration was less than good. The new pictures on the site look good but read what it says about the process.

The second takes you into very high priced equipment.