PDA

View Full Version : Managing Lists/ Multiple names

Ian Wilson (AUST)
08-18-2009, 9:33 AM
Hi Creekers,

I'm looking at doing Wedding Names Tags for wine glasses, oval shaped.
I would like the client to fill in the guest list and send to me so the spelling
( and typing) is thier responsibility. I'd then like to import that file into a Corel template. Where the names end up in the correct position on tags.

As most people do not have Corel any ideas how I could achieve this? Ie What file type would be best to send for them to fill.

Word Docs Imported to Corel and the size goes out of wack.

I am doing a Trophy with over 100 names on it. The time to type and getting client to proof read and corrections etc etc is taking for ever.

Cheers Ian

Scott Shepherd
08-18-2009, 3:22 PM
Ian, head to Roy Brewer's site here :

http://www.engravingconcepts.com/flash_coreldraw.htm

and watch the Print Merge videos. It should resolve your issues.

Ian Wilson (AUST)
08-20-2009, 8:05 AM
Cheers Scott,

I'll take a look!!!

Than you.

Bob Davis
08-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I've just had a look at the video, and then had a fumble around with CorelDraw X4 help, and my brain is hurting!
This all looks to be way too complicated to be useful for anything but a huge job.
What about just copy&pasting the .doc file, changing it to artistic text, adjust the text to the correct size and font and break apart, and then just drag/align names to the correct position?
I haven't got my head around all the requirements involved in the merge process, but I'm sure I can layout the job using the above faster than the laser can engrave it. No spelling errors, simple procedure and a visual guide to check for required condensation of names. Works for me...

Scott Shepherd
08-20-2009, 4:11 PM
Bob, it's ice cream headache level stuff and if you get one step out of order, it doesn't work.

However, once you do it 1/2 dozen times, it becomes very easy.

It's overwhelming at first, no doubt.

Randy Walker
08-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Scott
Thank you for posting that link. I have searched many sites for this kind of Corel help and never seen this site. It was very helpful. By the way do you know of any more tutorial sites? I have only been using (struggeling) with Corel for a few months, and for me everything is complicated.

Randy Walkerhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Mike Null
08-21-2009, 12:54 AM
There are many. Do a search and they'll turn up.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Content/1186757765448?trkid=bd0807tip2

Michael Hunter
08-21-2009, 8:00 AM
The mail-merge feature in Corel is great, but probably best to keep it for long lists since for a small job the complications make it over-the-top.

Here's a useful bit if you have lots of different info for each label/part -

Prepare the merge file as per normal, with commas between each of the items on a line.

Now, before performing the mail merge, open the merge file with MS Excel.

Excel will open the file and put each item in its own cell - this makes it very easy to check for extra or missed commas, extra spaces etc..
If the columns don't line up, then you have done something wrong!
An easy way of proofing before you commit to the job.

Peter Meacham
08-21-2009, 8:57 AM
Randy

The X4 DVD has some great tutorials - Look on the installation disc under Videos. A very good Australian instructor, Scott Georgeson, presents easy to follow videos.

Previous versions of Corel Draw probably have tutorials as well.

And the Corel Draw website has access to tutorials (search for tutorials on the website)

Pete