PDA

View Full Version : Something from the Cigar World

Ed Sallee
08-18-2009, 7:52 AM
As you may or may not know... I've been playing around with humidors which has taken me in to a world that I had no idea existed 6 months ago.

Cigar folks take their cigars seriously. Some of them store them in tupperware and others use empty cigar boxes from the stores - some buy from guys like Bill Wyko & Myself - all have some sort of humidification system - whether it's a paper towel soaked in distilled water or a snazzy humidifier from a top name company.

Another thing that is used are wine cooling refrigerators - specifically, Vinotemp. These things can control the temperature and the humidity. They are about the size of one of those small dorm refrigerators... But, needless to say, they are not designed for the cigar aficionado.

Too late to make a long story short..... but, one of the local fellows asked me to come up with some sort of tray works for the inside of this thing. I put together something that has been well received within their group and could quite possibly be making this thing for 10-15 other people that belong to his club. And that's only talking with and working with one cigar club.... there are hundreds of them in the Atlanta area alone.

The problem is - I don't really want to do this kind of thing. I like making pretty boxes..... one at a time. My shop isn't set up for production type stuff. I probably need to re-work some of the things in the drawing.... like beefing up the side slats a little more to accept a larger groove for the drawers.... But, the general idea is there. Of course, the wood would have to be spanish cedar.

I think that this is something that could be, in the right hands, an accessory for a lot of folks who have these Vino Temps.....

Is there anybody out there that might want to get involved that is set up for this kind of thing?

Here's what it looks like. The cooler/refrigerator thing has a top half and a bottom half. And, it angles - in that it's 11" in the front and 9 1/2" in the back and it's 7.5" high. There would be room for two in one, but the guy that I am working with wants to keep the bottom one open so he can just put his cigar boxes in there. I need to make some modifications - I want to do something different with the top and bottom too.

Anyway - just thinking out loud here.....

Edit: Removed pictures, for the moment. Takin' 'em back to the drawin' board.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/Vino%20Liner/Vino.jpg

Jim Pritchett
08-18-2009, 3:38 PM
Ed,
I'm interested ! PM me with more details or call me @ 770/465-8806. I'm sure we can work out something for your design work and a finders fee.

Jim Pritchett

Ed Sallee
08-18-2009, 3:54 PM
Jim - PM Sent

Tom Sontag
08-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Shouldn't this kind of thread be in the Design Forum? Just thinkin out loud...

Eric DeSilva
08-20-2009, 6:12 PM
While I completely understand humidification, I always thought cold was bad for cigars. I thought optimum was something like 70* and 70% humidity, or something like that. Why are people using vinotemps, where most of the cost is in the refrigeration components? Seems like a gigantic waste of money.

Then again, having quit smoking cigarettes this year, and being unwilling to risk a cigar-induced relapse, I'm probably not your target market.

Matt Evans
08-21-2009, 3:02 AM
Ed,

Very interested here. I am a cigar enthusiast myself, as well as all other forms of tobacco (I mainly smoke a pipe).

The cold issue is actually a factor for cigars, but not as much for cigarettes, pipe tobacco, chewing tobacco and snuff.

The wrapper tends to split when exposes to refrigerator temperatures, without the humidification. Since the Vinotemps seem to control humidity as well, I would assume that that problem is minimized, but I, having no experience with one of those units, couldn't say how effective the humidity control truly is.

That being said, I would love to do something on this scale, and would love to communicate more on that.

I will send you a PM with my contact information.