PDA

View Full Version : Want a CLEAR finish

Norris Randall
08-17-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm up the creek, asking for advice.
The Minwax clear finish I've been using leaves a slight "yellowish" color on the maple.
I tried a can of "clear" spray Krylon and it still seem to have the yellow hue also.

Thank you to all who offer suggestions to help me find a finish that will
let the "light blond natural" maple color show.

The old commercial keep running through my mind.
"You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!":D

Scott Holmes
08-17-2009, 11:09 PM
When you wipe the maple with water clear mineral spirits what color do you see?

The wood does have some color to it.

I would not expect you to get any more color from the acrylic finish. Water-borne acrylics are water clear too.

Jamie Buxton
08-17-2009, 11:15 PM
In general, solvent-borne clear finishes have an amber cast to them, and waterborne clear finishes are closer to color-free. Try one of them and see if you like it better.

Rob Cunningham
08-18-2009, 8:16 AM
Target SC 9000 is a water clear finish. I've used it over white finishes without any color shift.

Casey Gooding
08-18-2009, 9:23 PM
A water based finish would give you the clearest topcoat.

Norris Randall
08-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Thank you ALL for your help.

I found a small can of water base Minwax .

It did not leave a yellow cast but it looks like it is going to take many coats
to have a suitable finish for me.

I'll post a pic when bowl is complete.

Thanks again.

Jeff Eiber
08-21-2009, 9:36 PM
I've been using Sherwin Williams Sher-Wood Water White Conversion Varnish, V84 V80 thinned with Xylol for 5 years. It's clear white, UV resistant, dries to the touch in about 15 minutes and has a great feel to the finished surface. It's a two component system catalyzed with 3% catalyst. I brush it on with a foam brush or spray with a preval sprayer. I can't imagine going back to a single component system.

Scott Holmes
08-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Jeff a quick look at the MSDS sheet reveals...

This is not to be used without proper personal (lungs, eyes, skin) and environmental (explosion, contamination) care.

Definetly not for amatuers or DIYer's

NOTE : Formaldehyde !

PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN USE

Contains a formaldehyde-based resin which, under certain conditions of use, may release Formaldehyde.
Before initial use, consult OSHA's 'Standard for Occupational Exposure to Formaldehyde' (29 CFR 1910.1048).
Use only with adequate ventilation.
Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Avoid breathing vapor and spray mist.
Wash hands after using.
This coating may contain materials classified as nuisance particulates (listed "as Dust" in Section 2) which may be present at hazardous levels only during sanding or abrading of the dried film. If no specific dusts are listed in Section 2, the applicable limits for nuisance dusts are ACGIH TLV 10 mg/m3 (total dust), 3 mg/m3 (respirable fraction), OSHA PEL 15 mg/m3 (total dust), 5 mg/m3 (respirable fraction).

VENTILATION

Local exhaust preferable. General exhaust acceptable if the exposure to materials in Section 2 is maintained below applicable exposure limits.
Refer to OSHA Standards 1910.94, 1910.107, 1910.108.