PDA

View Full Version : Tool-safe adhesive

Howard Phillips
08-17-2009, 10:49 PM
I need to temporarily attach a shroud to my router without using mechanical fasteners (screws and the like).

Is there any sort of adhesive that would hold the plastic shroud to the plastic and metal components of the router, but be fairly easy to remove from the tool later on? The bond doesn't have to be very strong and the shroud won't be doing anything other than being a gauge and blocking some dust.

Some sort of epoxy? Silicon? Putty? Help?

doug faist
08-17-2009, 10:54 PM
How about just some double sided tape? Quick, easy and simple to remove when you're done.

Doug

glenn bradley
08-18-2009, 12:17 AM
+1 on double sided tape. The stuff Rockler sells (as opposed to Lee Valley and Woodcraft; too rubbery) grips really well BUT, don't leave it on over night or anything or you will have a real fight getting it to let go. At least that is true on woods; it generally brings some of the wood with it if I leave a template taped on too long. Perhaps metal and plastic would not be so bad. For temporary use, it works great. About $10 for 75' of 1" wide tape.

John Coloccia
08-18-2009, 5:00 AM
I usually use hot glue for stuff like this. Use the low temp setting. Normally, it'll just snap off when I'm done using it. Try just a small amount first to be sure it won't harm your router.

I like it better than double sided tape because it leaves no residue.

ROY DICK
08-18-2009, 7:50 AM
+2 double sided tape

Roy

Michael Wildt
08-18-2009, 9:50 AM
There is also velcro that have an adhesive backing. That works great for stuff like that. It holds the item in place and you can put it on and off multiple times. May have to visit a fabric store to get some though unless the wife has some. Just like duct tape, sure comes handy.