PDA

View Full Version : Delta 22-540 Planer rebuild - questions

Gary McNair
08-17-2009, 10:10 PM
I've just purchased a '96 Delta 22-540 planer. Looks like the feed rolls need replacing, possibly the drive chains and sprockets. Haven't been into the gears yet. I enjoy this type of challenge but don't want to throw stupid money at it. My questions are; 1) Any other places to look? (ie: if the chains and sprockets are weak, would the gears be weak also?) 2) What vendors seem to have the best pricing for these internal parts?

george wilson
08-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Sprockets and chins are probably standard parts that can be purchased. I don't see how the sprockets could be worn out.MSC sells sprockets and chains of different sizes. The chains are definitely standard parts.

Boston Gear Co. sells standard sizes of gears,if you can identify the tooth sizes. I have a very old Boston Gear catalog that has drawings of standard gear teeth. Maybe you could Google their site,or see if they could fax you a chart,if such is available.

If you buy parts from Delta that are actually standard parts,they will mark them up a lot when reselling them to you. I have some expensive milling machine attachments that I discovered standard parts like roller bearing cam followers inside of. This is when a $2.00 part becomes a $15.00 part if ordered from the maker of the machine.

Bruce Wrenn
08-17-2009, 10:26 PM
As for good money after bad, you hit right on the head. You are talking about spending money on a 14 year old planer. Here used ones (in good shape) can be had for $75-$125.) An extra set of knives, or dust collection hood brings the price to upper end of range. But there is one (and has been for several months now) that seller wants $225 for. Could you clean up the rollers? Internals should be OK. Either ShopNotes, or Woodsmith recently (in the last couple of years) did a rebuild of a 22-540. I own two, both a type 1 and a type 2. Bought the type 1 new in 96, and recently bought the type 2. Paid $400 for the type 1, and paid $100 for the type 2. Also bought a parts machine (bad motor) for $10. Recently at flea market picked up a couple sets of blades for $5 per set.

Fred Hargis
08-18-2009, 7:05 AM
I had one of these for years, probably bought around 1996, and it was a grreat planer. But I don't think spending a lot of money on parts (and the stuff you listed would add up) would hardly be justified. There are too many good buys on lunchbox planers showing up on CL and other places. Just my 2 ¢.

Gary McNair
08-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the replies

Bob Aquino
08-20-2009, 7:16 AM
I've just purchased a '96 Delta 22-540 planer. Looks like the feed rolls need replacing, possibly the drive chains and sprockets. Haven't been into the gears yet. I enjoy this type of challenge but don't want to throw stupid money at it. My questions are; 1) Any other places to look? (ie: if the chains and sprockets are weak, would the gears be weak also?) 2) What vendors seem to have the best pricing for these internal parts?

As others have said, this machine can be had used in decent shape for about a c note give or take. I had one, the feed rollers would slip if they got covered in dust and chips, I would clean them off and it would be fine for a while. The nicest feature of the machine were the indexable, throw away knives. Very quick and easy to change them out, less than a 20 min job all told. I know I would not spend much if any money to refurb one, they are just not built for the long haul.

A step up from the lunchbox planers would be something along the lines of a parks or delta or powermatic machine, preferably on the older side. I see 12" parks planers go for around 100-200 unrestored and the older pm100's and deltas go for a bit more. They don't have the easy knife system but that hasnt stopped folks from using them all these years either. They are much more heavy duty than the lunchbox style and dont suffer from gunky feed rollers like most small machines. One of these small cast iron machines would be well worth the time and effort to fix up and use.

Gary McNair
08-20-2009, 10:48 AM
At this point, I'm going to put in the new blade set that came with deal, then give it a try w/some scrap mat'l. The feed rollers look "checked" for lack of a better term. Maybe they have some drive left in them

Bruce Wrenn
08-20-2009, 9:34 PM
The nicest feature of the machine were the indexable, throw away knives. Very quick and easy to change them out, less than a 20 min job all told. 22-540 has straight knives, while 22-560 has indexable knives. New TS-305 (similar to 540) has indexed knives

Frank Guerin
08-21-2009, 8:34 PM
I believe I have that same planer but what do I know. I haven't been doing anything I like in awhile. As far as the rollers being checked it may be right. If I remember correctly and thats a big if. I think that their manufactured that way.

harry strasil
08-22-2009, 10:07 AM
I only gave a 100 for my 22-540 new on sale. I added 2 column locks one front and the oppositie side back and get no snipe at all, I would be more concerned with wear in the adjustment screws.

Bruce Wrenn
08-22-2009, 9:11 PM
I only gave a 100 for my 22-540 new on sale. I added 2 column locks one front and the opposite side back and get no snipe at all, I would be more concerned with wear in the adjustment screws.Could you go into more detail on the column locks? Did you make them, or buy them?

harry strasil
08-22-2009, 9:13 PM
Made em, Blacksmiths modify everything. LOL

Bob Aquino
08-23-2009, 7:53 AM
22-540 has straight knives, while 22-560 has indexable knives. New TS-305 (similar to 540) has indexed knives

Oh yeah, its the OLD model. Nevermind. Would I throw any money into it still? NO!