PDA

View Full Version : Arched Candle Holders from Scrap

glenn bradley
08-17-2009, 8:59 PM
Yet another use for those pesky scraps.

A quick circle jig made with a long drywall screw and some properly spaced holes in a piece of scrap melamine. There's nothing special about the ash being larger than the walnut; they were just scraps that I glued up.

These are hot off the power sander but a little hand effort, some BLO and some top coat should perk them up. And there's one more Christmas gift outta the scrap bin . . . shhhh.

John Thompson
08-17-2009, 9:24 PM
Very clever idea Glenn.. and I hope to start some Xmas gifts around late October if I ever finish the now project and the one after it... I like it's simplicity as I never think of these kind of things without seeing someone else do it. :)

Very nice...

Keith Christopher
08-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Nice job. I love 'scrap projects'

They're quick easy, typically simple in form and functional.

John Schreiber
08-17-2009, 11:41 PM
I like those projects which use scraps, aren't all that difficult, but which really look impressive. Be sure to post more pictures when they are finished.

gary Zimmel
08-18-2009, 8:16 PM
Got to love it when you can make use of material from the scrap bin Glenn...

Nice job on the candle holders.
Xmas presents.
And were only in Aug.
Extra points for that!

glenn bradley
08-18-2009, 8:21 PM
Xmas presents.
And were only in Aug.
Extra points for that!

The last two years some gifts just didn't get done as I ran out of time. If I am ready ahead of time this year, that'll be one in a row :D.

glenn bradley
08-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Be sure to post more pictures when they are finished.

I was planning BLO and shellac but I think I like the BLO alone. This is fully cured:

John Keeton
08-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Glenn, I failed to pick up on this thread earlier!! Nice project, and looking at both sets of pics, I like the finish. Durability won't be an issue, and the finish can be revived at any time.