PDA

View Full Version : long distance color matching on 3D panel

Dee Gallo
08-17-2009, 8:54 PM
This is a picture of the panel I made and posted before it was finished. It was decided that I would try to match the color and finish without having the rest of the case here, just an emailed picture. The original woodworking person chickened out.

Anyway, I sealed it with shellac and alcohol, then sprayed several coats of pigmented shellac to get the final color and "age". To remove the shine and smooth the surface, I used steel wool which gave the whole thing a nice smooth aged patina. Miraculously, it looks pretty good!

For those who don't know, I carved the side on the left of the picture, designed to compliment the original carving on the right side.

cheers, dee

Steve Clarkson
08-17-2009, 9:05 PM
Dee,

That's AMAZING!!!!!! It's like a perfect match.....99 out of 100 people would never know that wasn't part of the original box.

Great job!

Dan Hintz
08-17-2009, 9:36 PM
I'm with Steve... awesome match job!

David Fairfield
08-17-2009, 9:40 PM
Amazing... I would have said it wasn't possible! Great job!

Dave

Dee Gallo
08-18-2009, 6:29 AM
Thanks guys! I'm lucky the lady takes good pictures so the color came out correctly. BTW - to get the "old" look, I colored the panel with a more yellow-orange shellac to start, then layered the darker glazes (reddish-brown, brown, blackish-brown) over it leaving some of the yellow showing in some areas to emulate wear.

:) dee

Mike Null
08-18-2009, 5:59 PM
Dee

Masterful work. Now besides everything else you can do you can be a furniture refinisher.

Bill Cunningham
08-18-2009, 9:53 PM
Obviously a lady of many, many, many, talents.. Your work, and attention to detail, never ceases to amaze me..

John Noell
08-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Absolutely amazing work! I wish I had 1/10th of your talent.